Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many hours do you work each week?
less than 20 5 17.24%
20-29 3 10.34%
30-40 5 17.24%
40-50 13 44.83%
50-60 1 3.45%
60-70 1 3.45%
0ver 70 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 12:44 PM

9,775 posts, read 11,180,834 times

Advertisements

I bring down the average. I work a solid 2-3 hours a day. But back in the day, I logged a solid 100 hours a week and I loved doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 02:26 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,748,676 times
My experience in the salaried corporate world suggests that people who work long hours do so either because of poor work habits or due to trying to look better than the next person, usually a little of both.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:30 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
So much for the high quality of life thing we're always bragging about. "...the average Phoenician works more than 62 hours a week." That's not good.
It's because of the low pay scale, and cost of living isn't all that cheap here like some people make it out to be.

In order to for the averge person to have extra money for those unforeseen expenses or maybe just for having a little fun with, it's necessary to work longer hours.

If wages kept up with the rest of the nation maybe those longer hours wouldn't be so necessary.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:38 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,658,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
It's because of the low pay scale, and cost of living isn't all that cheap here like some people make it out to be.

In order to for the averge person to have extra money for those unforeseen expenses or maybe just for having a little fun with, it's necessary to work longer hours.

If wages kept up with the rest of the nation maybe those longer hours wouldn't be so necessary.
Right, exactly.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:15 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,912,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Heck, I didn't necessarily "want" to work those hours but did it so my family could enjoy a higher standard of living then what we would have if I punched the clock at 40 hours each week. We could have easily survived (and above middle class) at 40 hours a week but we wanted the upper middle class lifestyle. I think that is how it is for most people that work those hours, they are not doing because they have to they are doing it so they have more.

However, as you said, that number doesn't sound right to me either.
Sorry, but the idea of sacrificing my family time so I can drive a 50k car doesn't sound like quality of life to me. But hey, it's America and that's what we are programmed to do so to each their own.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:57 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,310,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
So much for the high quality of life thing we're always bragging about. "...the average Phoenician works more than 62 hours a week." That's not good.

You raise an important point. While we seem to boast about the high quality of life that often pertains to our white collar professional subset (engineering, healthcare, finance, real estate, some retail), we tend to forget that our residents in the construction, service and blue collar industries work incredibly long hours. The immigrant population in particular work incredibly long days. Many work full time jobs and then work in landscaping or restaurants after work to support themselves. They are often overlooked and they are not experiencing the high quality of life that we are always bragging about. It is true.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:57 AM

9,775 posts, read 11,180,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
Sorry, but the idea of sacrificing my family time so I can drive a 50k car doesn't sound like quality of life to me. But hey, it's America and that's what we are programmed to do so to each their own.
I understand some families have to work long and hard to make ends meet. When I worked long hours, I had a bunch of "stuff" that didn't make me any happier. All I got out of it was a little status and an outstanding garage sale. I got a brand new car every year, had multiple homes and properties, 4 new ATV's, 4 snowmobiles, 2 jet ski's, a nice boat, I dropped $12K on vacations and the list goes on. I learned those dreams were unrewarding.

Billions of dollars in marketing is spent for a reason. It works to make people dream of "stuff". It's extremely hard to deprogram your brain. Now my goal is to work the least amount as possible and I am much more happy spending time with family, friends, and not chasing "stuff". My goal was to help my kids not want stuff yet have a comfortable living. That's been my focus. So for me, it's all about living under my means and spending as much time with family and friends and enjoying life. It's still not easy to stop wanting stuff. As an example, have you seen that new Corvette design yet?

Old 03-16-2014, 10:12 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,310,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post

People only claim Phoenix offers a low cost of living compared to other large metropolitan cities/areas in the top 10-15 like Los Angeles. But no one is claiming that Phoenix is a cheap place to live. There are much less expensive places to live in the United States like Oklahoma City, Little Rock, Memphis, Louisville, Omaha etc. But compared to NY, L.A., Chicago, San Jose, Philadelphia, Boston, SF, Miami, Seattle, San Diego, Washington D.C., Phoenix is cheaper.

There aren't many large metropolitan areas of this size where you can purchase a new home for less than 200K. We also have one of the lowest tax burdens of a city this size. Food, gas and utilities are also cheaper. Do a cost of living comparison with Phoenix and the other cities in the top 15 and you will observe that our CSL is relatively low. Phoenix has it's fair share of problems but cost of living is not one of them.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-16-2014 at 10:29 AM..

Old 03-16-2014, 10:19 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,150,655 times
I wonder if it’s because people are now working two jobs to survive? Junk survey, junk results. I’m not too sure that putting in more hours at work is something to be proud of.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:31 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,705,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Heck, I didn't necessarily "want" to work those hours but did it so my family could enjoy a higher standard of living then what we would have if I punched the clock at 40 hours each week. We could have easily survived (and above middle class) at 40 hours a week but we wanted the upper middle class lifestyle. I think that is how it is for most people that work those hours, they are not doing because they have to they are doing it so they have more.

However, as you said, that number doesn't sound right to me either.
I am your exception. I don't have the skills to be middle class or anywhere near upper middle class on one job alone. I worked two jobs because I had to. 40 hours a week is a cakewalk, try 100. The only way I could ever be in the middle class club was if I was walking Van Buren at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area