Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many hours do you work each week?
less than 20 5 17.24%
20-29 3 10.34%
30-40 5 17.24%
40-50 13 44.83%
50-60 1 3.45%
60-70 1 3.45%
0ver 70 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,957,732 times

Advertisements

PHOENIX -- New data suggests Phoenix is one of the hardest working cities in America, at least when it comes to how much time we spend on the clock.

Top 20 hardest-working cities according to Locality.com
  1. New York
  2. Las Vegas
  3. Boston
  4. Los Angeles
  5. San Jose
  6. Phoenix
  7. Chicago
  8. Indianapolis
  9. Minneapolis
  10. Omaha
  11. Raleigh
  12. Charlotte
  13. Mesa
Two Valley cities among nation's hardest working | azfamily.com Phoenix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 10:19 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,706,513 times
So much for the high quality of life thing we're always bragging about. "...the average Phoenician works more than 62 hours a week." That's not good.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,463,395 times
We just scored as such a "hard working" population because they decided to figure in our hard working immigrants; they make up for all of our welfare bums.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:19 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,957,732 times
Since AZ is predicted to have the 2nd fastest job growth hopefully that will lift wages so folks will be able to work less hours.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:00 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,264,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
So much for the high quality of life thing we're always bragging about. "...the average Phoenician works more than 62 hours a week." That's not good.
Hmmm...hard work not a good thing? I for one am glad that there is the opportunity in Phoenix metro for people to work the amount of hours they want/need to reach their goals. I'm also glad we have a population in the valley that is willing to work hard and not striving for the European model of vacationing more than they work.

Being in one of the hardest working cities in the country is a positive in my book.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Hmmm...hard work not a good thing? I for one am glad that there is the opportunity in Phoenix metro for people to work the amount of hours they want/need to reach their goals. I'm also glad we have a population in the valley that is willing to work hard and not striving for the European model of vacationing more than they work.

Being in one of the hardest working cities in the country is a positive in my book.
You're confusing hard working compared to the need to work long hours. The fact that the average Phoenician has to work 60+ hours a week to keep afloat is not good. It's not about hard working vs. lazy. It's about a work-life balance resulting in your quality of life. 60+ hours a week of work is not a favorable mix.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:09 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,309,934 times
I'm self employed so I fall within the 30-60 hour/week range . However the more I work the more I make. The less I make, the more free time I have so its a win-win.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:13 PM

Maybe I missed that in the article, did it state people had to work those hours to "keep afloat"? My wife and I worked 60+ hours a week for a long time (wife still does sometimes) and it wasn't to "keep afloat" it was to help us reach our family goals.

I'd much rather be in a place where there is the opportunity to work 60 hours a week if wanted/needed (even to keep afloat) as opposed to a place where there isn't the opportunity to work the hours wanted/needed.

I know MANY friends that fight for their overtime hours not because they need them to "keep afloat" but so they can get the large increase in salary that it creates and lets them live in the nicest neighborhoods, take vacations every year, drive $50k cars, etc. I don't know many/any friends that are working those hours out of necessity or to keep afloat. The ones working those hours are the high achievers that want more for themselves and their families. The lazy friends I have don't work those hours. At least that is how it is in my circle of influence...

Old 03-13-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Maybe I missed that in the article, did it state people had to work those hours to "keep afloat"? My wife and I worked 60+ hours a week for a long time (wife still does sometimes) and it wasn't to "keep afloat" it was to help us reach our family goals.

I'd much rather be in a place where there is the opportunity to work 60 hours a week if wanted/needed (even to keep afloat) as opposed to a place where there isn't the opportunity to work the hours wanted/needed.

I know MANY friends that fight for their overtime hours not because they need them to "keep afloat" but so they can get the large increase in salary that it creates and lets them live in the nicest neighborhoods, take vacations every year, drive $50k cars, etc. I don't know many/any friends that are working those hours out of necessity or to keep afloat. The ones working those hours are the high achievers that want more for themselves and their families. The lazy friends I have don't work those hours. At least that is how it is in my circle of influence...
The article makes the claim that the average person that lives here works 62 hours a week. I'm not sure I buy that figure, but that's irrelevant. It doesn't say why they work that much, other than the comment from the one guy that has to work three jobs. You can draw your own conclusion. Mine is that most people who work those types of hours do so because they have to, not because they want to.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:32 PM

Heck, I didn't necessarily "want" to work those hours but did it so my family could enjoy a higher standard of living then what we would have if I punched the clock at 40 hours each week. We could have easily survived (and above middle class) at 40 hours a week but we wanted the upper middle class lifestyle. I think that is how it is for most people that work those hours, they are not doing because they have to they are doing it so they have more.

However, as you said, that number doesn't sound right to me either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area