Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 08:57 AM

8 posts, read 10,447 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering buying a 2nd home in the Phoenix area to escape the winter rains in the Pacific Northwest.
I've spent a little time there a couple of years ago and have some impressions on some of the neighborhoods, but not enough to make a purchasing decision.
I seem to remember that Chandler & Gilbert had a lot of "dairy smell" in the air. Mesa seemed to have a lot of gated communities. Surprise seemed to be cheaper, but a bit of a drive to the action of downtown.
I would appreciate your suggestions as to where you would move if you could do it over again.
Our criteria:
Kids are gone, so schools don't matter.
We're retired so work commute doesn't factor in.
We'd like to be close to an LA Fitness.
We'd like to be close to some newer movie theaters.
We'd like to have a variety of restaurants to pick from.
A view would be nice... but we'd like to keep the house under $300K.
We'd like to avoid that dairy smell that I remember from Gilbert/Chandler.

Thanks,
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 09:06 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
If it were me looking for a second home under $300k, I'd be in south Scottsdale. I realize the older homes aren't everyone's cup of tea, but especially for a vacation home, I'd want to be near all the dining, entertainment, proximity to Tempe and central Phoenix, etc. Nothing about the far out suburbs say vacation to me. Just my $0.02.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:21 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,068,816 times
South Chandler, namely Ocotillo, has everything you are looking for including the price. Cows have left the Price cooridor and Chandler Fashion mall is a couple miles away along with any restaurant you want. Want a small lake too? We have it. Lots of retirees and snowbirds here. Walking trails, tennis and don't forget, reduced golf fees at Ocotillo Golf course (Troon management).

Old 03-15-2014, 09:41 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
If the restaurants you enjoy are mostly ethnic, I'd be looking in the East Valley. TERRIFIC Asian and other ethnic choices there. And I think in most of those areas, the smell you remember is minimal, if not completely gone (and usually in the warmer weather).

I like S. Scottsdale for its convenient location. BUT, personally, I'd avoid an older home for retirement, as well as one with stairs. Who needs the maintenance.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:37 AM

172 posts, read 392,235 times
The cow smell in Gilbert seems to be centered around Val Vista- Chandler Heights Rd to Pecos maybe? So just avoid the surrounding several miles and you should be fine.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:08 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
I would recommend North Phoenix (Desert Ridge area etc.). You are adjacent to North Scottsdale but homes are cheaper. It's also a relatively safe area and you have nice views. You are close enough to the nice dining and entertainment of North Scottsdale too.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:32 PM

681 posts, read 1,561,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
i would recommend north phoenix (desert ridge area etc.). You are adjacent to north scottsdale but homes are cheaper. It's also a relatively safe area and you have nice views. You are close enough to the nice dining and entertainment of north scottsdale too.
^^^^+1

Old 03-15-2014, 02:54 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I would recommend North Phoenix (Desert Ridge area etc.). You are adjacent to North Scottsdale but homes are cheaper. It's also a relatively safe area and you have nice views. You are close enough to the nice dining and entertainment of North Scottsdale too.
That's a good suggestion, too.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:59 PM

639 posts, read 972,440 times
Cows are gone on Germann as well in Gilbert. Only main dairy farms I know of still here are over at Guadalupe/Sossaman area and Val Vista and Chandler Heights. That gives you a lot of area to look at if you wanted to be over this way. However, I kind of agree, if it's a winter home, I'd rather be close to shopping and activities.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:05 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,838 times
Sounds like you would like to be centrally located, and near many nice amenities, such as shopping, restaurants, etc. There are lots of LA Fitness locations now. Most are large modern facilities.

The Moon Valley area of Phoenix has nice views, and shopping and a gym nearby, but is not too far out. Just take 7th Street south to Central Phoenix, or go north to the 101 loop to access Scottsdale or Glendale.

Also on the other end of the spectrum, the South Mountain area, south of Baseline between 20th and 36th Street has fabulous views and nice newer homes. There is a fairly new LA Fitness at 24th Street and Baseline, and lots of shopping on that corner too. Only a few miles down Baseline to Tempe, with a large theater at Arizona Mills outlet mall, and an easy drive north to downtown Phoenix activities.

Under $300,000 should be no problem in these areas and you can find a relatively new or upgraded home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area