Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 11:52 AM

208 posts, read 819,974 times

Advertisements

I've had a semi-long term plan to move to AZ. I've been in the IT industry for almost 10 years, and around winter of 2008 I should have my bachelors degree in Computer Information Systems. I was going to wait until then to try and look for employment in AZ (around the Phoenix area), but I'm feeling somewhat anxious and I really want to make the move earlier.

I have seen the posts here about long distance job hunting, but I really want to get some more opinions on it. My rational side knows that the smartest thing to do is stay in Jacksonville, finish my degree, sell my house without having to rush, and store more cash away, but the idiot side says go now. (nahh...not idiot...hmm my adventurous side...yeah that sounds better)

I don't know what the feeling is, but something is really pushing me to go sooner rather than later. I can still finish school online (I'm attending online anyway), I can still sell my house (yes the market is bad, but I will still make a profit). I have cash now, and very good credit, so I could pay for the move.

What are your opinions? I would especially like to hear from anyone in the IT industry about jobs in that field in AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 12:23 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,454,313 times
We have a close friend in IT for Wells Fargo that does very well. If you're still able to finish your degree online and it won't cause a financial burden or anything, I'd say do it. You'll sell in a bad market, and you'll buy in a bad market. Personally, I'd try to sell the house first. That might be the deciding factor on whether or not you move!

Old 12-06-2007, 01:04 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,792,396 times
If you can afford a few months of possible unemployment, I'd say go for it. Especially if something is really pushing you. Remember, "The Voices" never lie!

Old 12-06-2007, 02:07 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,721,198 times
As I posted earlier, ComputerGuy . . .

After relocating here about ten years ago, my only complaint was that I didn't do it sooner!

GO FOR IT!

Old 12-06-2007, 02:17 PM

674 posts, read 2,554,657 times
Well, if the adventurous in you wants to go now, then go. Lease terms for apts can be very flexible (1, 3, 6, 9, 12 months) and there are a few that offer all utilities paid so you don't have to deal with the utility companies.

Two apartment communities that offer all utilities paid are Forest Park (http://www.forestparkphoenix.com/) and Fountains in the Green (http://fountainsinthegreen.com/index.htm), they are in Central Phoenix and many people will say they are bad areas but I think they are worth looking in to.

As for the I.T. job market, I would rate it good (I'm in I.T. myself) even though I can't compare it with other markets.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:46 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,787,214 times
Computerguy, my next door neighbor has an IT business. I don't know what he does but his office is at home and he has several offices in different cities.

A client of mine works in IT with a large company.

If you would like me to ask them to contact you, of ask if they will accept an email from you, let me know.

My son in law is an engineer project manager with General Dynamics in Gilbert. They may have an IT department. I can ask him for you. Right now he's in Wash DC completing a space craft project that they'll launch in March, but I can call him.

On that subject, he's inviting us to Florida to watch the launch next year. We're exited about that and so is he. It's his big project and the first time he's been able to invite his entire family to see the results of his many hours of overtime labor.

Bill

Old 12-07-2007, 09:04 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,639,889 times
Computerguy,

I am in a similar boat career wise. I actually finished my degree before I came out here but right before my move I was so ready to move here. I was even going to move before my house sold because I was just READY!

I convinced myself to wait until the house sold and I came out here. It took me about 4 months to find a job and I found one at a big company so I don't think you'll have a problem job wise.

If you don't have a place to sell and can finish school while out here then I say go for it!! come on out, you'll love it!

Sorry...didn't see that you had a house to sell. It may be easier for you to wait until then to move because of the market. If you think you can make the move out here while your house in FL sels and you can finish school while here then I say go for it. If not. then you just may want to wait till at least you finish your degree. That along with your experience will make you even more marketable.

Last edited by jlhct; 12-07-2007 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: Oops...I didnt see that the house sold

Old 12-07-2007, 09:09 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,478,303 times
sometimes intuition against all odds wins out and comes thru shining taking some risk is good. get a plan and try. reduce risk. if god tells you to jump off a bridge by all means obey, but put on a bungee cord 1st.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:29 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,271,416 times
You'll have an easier time finding a good job after you finish your degree. The company I work for usually specifies in their job requirements that a four-year degree is necessary.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:50 AM

647 posts, read 3,342,270 times
They just did a story on the local news last night saying that jobs in IT are among the fastest growing in the valley.

I think, if you're young and single, it'd be an exciting thing to do. Just make sure you've spent time out here and know what you're getting into. As with any move, it's not smart to go into unless you're thoroughly researched the area.

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area