Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 06:10 PM

89 posts, read 326,849 times

Advertisements

If you want to compare a park the Central Park....how about South Mountain Park. It's the worlds largest city park and has 10x times the amount of ammenities that Papago has. Great park for hiking and biking or just eating lunch well viewing the whole valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 07:05 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350 View Post
If you want to compare a park the Central Park....how about South Mountain Park. It's the worlds largest city park and has 10x times the amount of ammenities that Papago has. Great park for hiking and biking or just eating lunch well viewing the whole valley.
Nope - South Mtn Park is really nice - but, does not compare to Papago.

10 times the Amenities? Please, where did you get that?

Does it have a major zoo?

A botanical Garden?

Indian Ruins?

Old 12-07-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Is this quiz for everyone? If so, my answer, in the form of a question, is the following:

Which Phoenix park housed a prison camp for German prisoners of war during WWII?

Have I scored in Phoenix City-Data Forum Jeopardy?

By the way, I still think joninaz's idea is a well-intentioned and reasonable one worthy of discussion. It may not be feasible; I don't have enough expertise to say, but it can be the basis of a good, constructive conversation about the park and its future.
You get a gold star!!

Old 12-07-2007, 10:24 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,318,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350 View Post
Whatever... on paper it is the "world's largest city park" because it is a vast amount of land that happens to be owned by the city of Phoenix. Who cares whether it has the city, the county, state, or National Parks logo on the entrance sign. Phoenix didn't make South Mountain Park either-- it was made over millions of years by the forces of nature. All Phoenix did is build a road and put some picnic tables in. South Moutain "Park" is really a nature preserve-- not a true city park. Not to mention South Mountain is one of the least impressive mountains in Arizona-- it just happens to be very accessible to Phoenix. Central Park, OTOH is a 100% man made landscaped park. The two cannot be remotely compared.

The closest thing to Papago Park would be San Diego's Balboa park-- a mix of a nature preserve, some landscaped areas, with parts of the overall "Park" divided into different uses, like the Phoenix Zoo, botanical gardens, etc. Only main difference is Phoenix has no equivalent to the Prado.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:24 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,456,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Whatever... on paper it is the "world's largest city park" because it is a vast amount of land that happens to be owned by the city of Phoenix. Who cares whether it has the city, the county, state, or National Parks logo on the entrance sign. Phoenix didn't make South Mountain Park either-- it was made over millions of years by the forces of nature. All Phoenix did is build a road and put some picnic tables in. South Moutain "Park" is really a nature preserve-- not a true city park. Not to mention South Mountain is one of the least impressive mountains in Arizona-- it just happens to be very accessible to Phoenix. Central Park, OTOH is a 100% man made landscaped park. The two cannot be remotely compared.

The closest thing to Papago Park would be San Diego's Balboa park-- a mix of a nature preserve, some landscaped areas, with parts of the overall "Park" divided into different uses, like the Phoenix Zoo, botanical gardens, etc. Only main difference is Phoenix has no equivalent to the Prado.
South Mountain is an incredible asset not because of its peaks and ridges, which I agree are not terribly unique, but simply because of its size and vast network of trails. It is extraordinarily rare to have so much preserved land and so many miles of hiking trails within the boundaries of a major city. There are places within South Mountain so hidden and peaceful that hikers can forget they are in the middle of a large metro area. South Mountain is worth boasting about not because anyone claims it was made by the City of Phoenix, but instead because the City had the foresight to acquire the land and to preserve it. I agree that comparing South Mountain to highly developed parks such as Balboa or Central Park is an apples-and-oranges situation, but let's not forget to celebrate South Mountain on its own terms. I know I'll continue to refer to it as the "world's largest municipal park" with pride.

Last edited by exit2lef; 12-08-2007 at 06:41 AM..

Old 12-09-2007, 10:51 PM

919 posts, read 3,396,740 times
If you loved the film, "The Great Escape" you should also love the fact it also happened in Arizona, and for real.

We had a German POW camp, mostly for captured U-boat guys. If you want to remove navy guys from boats and oceans, stick them in AZ. In any case, it was a relaxed camp, near 64th Street & Oak (where the ballparks are now located between Thomas & McDowell). From what I've heard, erveryone was melding just fine, watching movies, etc. But there's also a duty for officers to escape. In any army.

So the Germans plotted. They decided to tunnel and convinced the camp to let them build volleyball courts. This was how they'd dump the dirt/sands from the burrowing. In time, they build an escape tunnel to the Crosscut Canal.

Here's where the plan when astray. They had looked at maps and thought there was a mighty river called the Salt that would take them to Mexico. They found a dried out riverbead. Most were captured. Others escaped and were later captured, which led to the last big massacre of the War.

It would be nice if the park captured any of this. They are supposed to put a marker at the end of the German tunnel (64th & Oak), but it has litttle to do with the bigger park's impact.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:52 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,875,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Would you have felt the same way about loud country music, loud classic rock, etc. ? Whenever I hear this complaint, I always wonder why the ethnicity of the music is important enough to mention.
Because this is the United States of America, or United States of Amigo, not Mehico.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Because this is the United States of America, not Mehico.
However - the Mexican cultural influence in Arizona is undeniable. AND, remember this: This was Mexico -

Old 12-10-2007, 09:24 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,456,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Because this is the United States of America, or United States of Amigo, not Mehico.
I'm not very good with emoticons, so I took this seriously and wrote a response that I've since deleted. On a second reading, I think / hope you're joking. Unfortunately, many of those who complain about "Mexican music" are not.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:54 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
However - the Mexican cultural influence in Arizona is undeniable. AND, remember this: This was Mexico -
Key word is "was". AZ was bought and paid for. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area