Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 03:04 PM

30 posts, read 47,763 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I just found out I'll be relocating from Seattle to Phoenix for work near the end of the month. My partner will be joining me, and we have both lived in Seattle for nearly a decade (and love it!) but this is where my work is bringing me.
We currently live in the Capital Hill neighborhood of Seattle and are looking to get the closest feel to that as we can in Phoenix. Basically:
-walkable is maybe most important
-street-cyclist friendly
-young professionals (5-10 years older than college crowd) and NOT a "family-oriented" type place (not that there's anything wrong with that, but its just not for us right now)...but with that being said not an overly sanitized young professionals crowd either. Like I said, we are going for Capital Hill, not Bellevue *shudder*
-good and accessible nightlife--we actually prefer a noisier neighborhood to a very quiet one, and would like to be able to go out for an evening without worrying about who's driving
-prevalence of vegetarian/vegan friendly food pretty important
-as liberal-leaning as we can find

Kiiiiiinnnndd of a tall order. I know. Rent is pretty much a non-issue....I've been looking around and rent is about 50% of what we pay in Seattle, so we have already budgeted for $1600+/month rent for a 1 BR/1 bath. Obviously we are not looking to just throw money around either, and will take the opportunity to save some.

From the very little time we have spend in Phoenix/Scottsdale in the past, Tempe seems like it might be the best fit (or maybe South Scottsdale?). I will be driving a lot for work, so there's not any one particular area I'm tied to/commuting to, but easy freeway access would be a definite plus. Partner is in the tech industry and will most likely be working remotely due to significantly better pay from Seattle-based companies.

Any other suggestions for neighborhoods or even specific apartment buildings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 03:22 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,507,311 times
Well, except for some newer high rises, we don't have apartment "buildings' here, but complexes where the main door opens to the outdoors.

You sound like downtown or midtown central Phoenix people to me, or Tempe or central Scottsdale. I would not suggest West 6th (apartment high rise) in Tempe, too many students, I suspect. I don't know if 44 Monroe is out of your budget or not, but it's a great location (until you need to go buy groceries-- no grocery store right downtown). http://www.44monroe.com/

Old 04-07-2014, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!
44 Monroe is not out of our "Seattle" budget, but I think we would like to take advantage of the cheaper costs of housing if possible. Also, no grocery stores nearby is kind of a deal-breaker for us.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:35 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,507,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoncorgi View Post
Thanks for the suggestions!
44 Monroe is not out of our "Seattle" budget, but I think we would like to take advantage of the cheaper costs of housing if possible. Also, no grocery stores nearby is kind of a deal-breaker for us.

Well, downtown Tempe is the same way. You either have to take a car (or a bus, which is a pain if you have a lot of groceries) a few miles to get to a grocery store. Central Avenue in Phoenix does not have a grocery store from downtown all the way up to Camelback Road (about 7 miles), and that's a high end one. That said, at that point you are in midtown Phoenix, which is one of your options. The light rail going down Central to and from downtown (and out to downtown Tempe) makes that "not worrying about who is driving" workable.

Scottsdale Road, the main road through Scottsdale) is not much better in terms of grocers. There's only one, for miles.

What this boils down to is that metro Phoenix is just not as walkable as you are used to, in terms of certain necessities. You can find places to walk to for entertainment, or groceries. Both is a little harder.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:23 PM

Ah, we will start taking that into consideration and weighing which is more important to have instant access to on a daily basis. I have just randomly gotten another recommendation for midtown from my hairdresser who used to live in Phoenix, so that definitely seems like an area worth checking out.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:29 PM

2,155 posts, read 5,193,088 times
I would recommend that you look in downtown Phoenix or N. Central stay near Central Ave and you will find most of what you are looking for. Nightlife might be a little wanting, but Phoenix is getting better all the time. Nice because of access to the light rail.

A second option would be the Scottsdale waterfront area just north of Old Town. There are some nice newer condo/townhome complexes. The action will actually be better here especially on weekends. A bit more touristy but not too bad.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:16 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,727,239 times
If you're moving to Phoenix, why not try out a different lifestyle? $1600 might well get you a 3+ bedroom house with a yard and a pool and a even a 3-car garage in some neighborhoods - use the extra stall for a pool table. Have your friends over & let them crash in those extra bedrooms (you do have friends in your current city that would love to come see Phoenix, I can guarantee that)..

professional/vegan/liberal & walkable just isn't Phoenix. Not to say that there aren't lots of professionals/vegans/liberals here - they just arent clustered in any one neighborhood.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:53 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,903,797 times
Garfield, Roosevelt, the Melrose Curve, near the Camelback Corridor, some parts of Arcadia.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
If you're moving to Phoenix, why not try out a different lifestyle? $1600 might well get you a 3+ bedroom house with a yard and a pool and a even a 3-car garage in some neighborhoods - use the extra stall for a pool table. Have your friends over & let them crash in those extra bedrooms (you do have friends in your current city that would love to come see Phoenix, I can guarantee that)..

professional/vegan/liberal & walkable just isn't Phoenix. Not to say that there aren't lots of professionals/vegans/liberals here - they just arent clustered in any one neighborhood.
We've thrown around the idea of renting a house. It's a possibility, but knowing us "where we live" will usually trump "what we're living in" when we prioritize. And don't have anywhere near enough stuff to fill up a 3 bdrm house! It would seem creepily empty!

Old 04-08-2014, 07:32 PM

945 posts, read 2,527,886 times
I really like the area around Central/McDowell or Indian School. I believe that would be considered mid-town--would love to live there if schools and garage space weren't an issue…..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area