Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,111 times

Advertisements

There's no way Independence, MO makes this list and East St Louis doesn't. I can think of zero things that would make that the case. Skeptical of the methodology to say the least.

Last edited by WillAndrew; 04-11-2014 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 02:20 PM

555 posts, read 863,606 times
Tempe is on the same list as Camden, NJ? Umm yeah. ok.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:24 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
Tempe is on the same list as Camden, NJ? Umm yeah. ok.
Yeah, take a look at some images of Camden online and compare it to one of the more affluent burbs in PHX, Tempe. It is just an absurd comparison.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:30 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,289,109 times
Tempe is the most densely populated city in the valley I believe, and has a high property crime rate due to the campus. The murder rate is not really high. Of course there's also more sex offenses by the campus too, so that is why it made the list I'm guessing. ASU is a wild, wild campus. I think I spent my first two years there in an altered state every single day. There's tons of kids doing dumb things that kids do, and there's also low income areas around the campus mixed in with the shiny new high rises and brownstones. I don't feel unsafe in Tempe, but I don't necessarily like walking too far away from my beloved new German SUV either Much of what makes Tempe the most fun city in metro Phoenix is also what creates the additional nonsense. That high rise where the girl fell from the 10th Floor, for example, is one of the places that police are called to every single day with things going on. It's no way as bad as Camden, that's nonsense. Apples to oranges.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:37 PM

6,407 posts, read 9,002,651 times
I have trouble believing that Tempe is more dangerous than Cicero.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:29 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,345,668 times
It's a funny finding for sure. I can see the ASU one simply because the ASU campus/study body is so large. But I definitely don't feel unsafe in any part of Tempe.

Maryvale definitely has it's drug activity, from what I'm told. Glendale has many low income/older neighborhoods where I'm sure crimes take place, but being there in the day doesn't give me an uneasy feeling.

I have family in Detroit, KC and Washington DC and no area of Phoenix tops those worst areas, and it isn't even close. However, most of those are city center areas and I suppose a large portion of crime committed in large cities other than Phoenix are within city limits and not suburbs?

Old 04-11-2014, 08:15 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,437,274 times
Yes.. East St Louis, pass it many times, it must be the most ugly and trashed city in the country. It really looks like a war zone...
Found this site with some pics... It is visible from I 70.
East St. Louis, Illinois Photo Gallery by Jayson Gomes at pbase.com

Just go to down town on G E and check it out on street view.....

Old 04-11-2014, 11:30 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,708,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Clarksville IN??/ For those who do not know, it is somewhat across the Ohio river from Louisville???? Pretty tame place.
Didn't see Gary IN... That place is world famous for it's less savory neighborhoods.

Now, maybe the Bronx is not a suburb, or it has gotten real cozy over the last three months, that was the last time delivering a load out there.

Let's go west..... Had a early morning delivery in Lynwood CA, not a place that you will find in the vacation pics....

Camden I can see why they are at the top.
Tempe and Glendale? Really? I am sure there are burbs of LA much more dangerous then Tempe or Glendale.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:19 AM

975 posts, read 1,406,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Tempe and Glendale? Really? I am sure there are burbs of LA much more dangerous then Tempe or Glendale.
Having spent significant time in both Tempe and Glendale, I find it extremely hard to believe that they are more dangerous than SEVERAL other places. In fact, I feel perfectly safe in most parts of both Tempe and Glendale.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:15 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,613,701 times
Tempe is home to one of Arizona's oldest and most powerful street gang.
Just Google Tempe’s La Victoria Locos street gang
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area