Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:58 PM

9 posts, read 11,363 times

Advertisements

After doing some research this site seemed to come up a lot when I searched the web for information, so I figured I better join up. God only knows I'll some info. LOL. I have been down to the Goodyear area 1/2 dozen times visiting friends, and my wife and I have just bought a house here (85338) !! In the Goodyear area I found the residents to be super friendly and the local employees at the stores, and restaurants to be top notch. People who you want to "talk and deal with". We are from Canada, and travelling back and forth throughout the year, and we are so looking forward to our vacation time in the wonderful area. Before I ask my Q's I'll do some searches, but 1 question for now is I'm considering a cell phone rather than a land line. Can anyone suggest the least expensive but still a quality service provider? I'm only interested in local calling and possibly international calling to Canada if available. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 09:43 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,811,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&Her View Post
After doing some research this site seemed to come up a lot when I searched the web for information, so I figured I better join up. God only knows I'll some info. LOL. I have been down to the Goodyear area 1/2 dozen times visiting friends, and my wife and I have just bought a house here (85338) !! In the Goodyear area I found the residents to be super friendly and the local employees at the stores, and restaurants to be top notch. People who you want to "talk and deal with". We are from Canada, and travelling back and forth throughout the year, and we are so looking forward to our vacation time in the wonderful area. Before I ask my Q's I'll do some searches, but 1 question for now is I'm considering a cell phone rather than a land line. Can anyone suggest the least expensive but still a quality service provider? I'm only interested in local calling and possibly international calling to Canada if available. Thanks

I'm not sure they're the least expensive but Verizon does have the best coverage. I have a 2nd home in the same area (85338) and only use a cell,no landline. If you get a smartphone there's an app called Viber which allows you to call/text anyone in the world for free,they'll need to have the app too. Welcome to the area!

Viber - Free calls, Free text messages, photo and location sharing

Old 04-17-2014, 09:53 PM

Viber Hmmm... That would work well for me. Not that I want to call back home when I'm here LOL

Thanks for the info

Old 04-17-2014, 10:24 PM

584 posts, read 1,341,041 times
Quote:
85338... Perhaps, it is a best kept secret here in the Phoenix metro area at least to my knowledge and of course the people from the east side of the metro would know anything about it
Goodyear is the place to be in the entire west valley and i seeing people all all overcoming here. i hope thing will keep quite until ....................

Old 04-17-2014, 10:45 PM

I read somewhere Goodyear is the next Scotsdale?? Not sure if it's true and quite frankly I don't care, but it did talk about the popularity of Goodyear. I live in a small town just south of Winnipeg Manitoba Canada, and we have a quite town. Not even 1 set of intersection lights, and EMR kind of gave us the small town feeling which we like. Now all I have to do is find a good pool company, audio installer, and landscaper and we'll be good!

Old 07-04-2014, 10:42 AM

17 posts, read 30,274 times
For international calling I use a service called rebtel (Rebtel) you give them you number and they assign local numbers to the international numbers you call. Works just like a local call and it's super cheap. As far as phone service goes you mainly have two options in the states. Buy a phone on contract (cheap) an pay a lot for monthly service because the phone is subsidized, or pay for the phone up front full retail (very expensive) and save on the monthly costs. I am not sure how your situation in Canada is run but if your phone is unlocked all you need is an American sim and it will work for far less than many carriers. For this avoid the big 3; AT&T, version, and sprint, you will do better with T-mobile or a regional carrier with an unlimited plan around $50 a month.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:01 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
I read somewhere Goodyear is the next Scotsdale?? Not sure if it's true and quite frankly I don't care, but it did talk about the popularity of Goodyear. I live in a small town just south of Winnipeg Manitoba Canada, and we have a quite town. Not even 1 set of intersection lights, and EMR kind of gave us the small town feeling which we like. Now all I have to do is find a good pool company, audio installer, and landscaper and we'll be good!
Where did you read that?! I wouldn't hold your breath for that.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:09 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,228,199 times
Welcome to Goodyear, I live in that zip code as well. Goodyear is an up and coming city in the valley and don't listen to everyone on this board that feels that Scottsdale, Chandler and Gilbert are the only worthwhile communities in the valley. We've been here for over six years and really like it here.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:11 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,472,346 times
Quote:
I read somewhere Goodyear is the next Scotsdale??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Where did you read that?! I wouldn't hold your breath for that.

Guessing perhaps it's an income thing given parts of Goodyear have a high median income like parts of Scottsdale.

Personally, I hope it stays small town feeling/quieter than other cities in the valley like it is now for the most part though I know that's not reality.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:20 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,228,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Guessing perhaps it's an income thing given parts of Goodyear have a high median income like parts of Scottsdale.

Personally, I hope it stays small town feeling/quieter than other cities in the valley like it is now for the most part though I know that's not reality.
I'm with you there. My wife and I say that every time we pass through the east valley. Way too many people in some places for us. We like the slower pace of Goodyear as well.

I have a feeling if the mall ever goes in a lot of that feeling will go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area