Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:16 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,976,166 times

Advertisements

New update on the proposals I've received...

I re-categorized everything tiers, took out the pre-paid leases and also got a couple more quotes from Company #6.

Last edited by HX_Guy; 05-09-2014 at 02:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 05:44 PM

The X21/335 panel setup would be using Power One inverters, two PVI-3.6 (2 strings each of 6) and one PVI-4.2 each (2 strings of 7) for a total of 38 panels.

Any input on those inverters? Juram?

Old 05-15-2014, 05:08 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,703,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
The X21/335 panel setup would be using Power One inverters, two PVI-3.6 (2 strings each of 6) and one PVI-4.2 each (2 strings of 7) for a total of 38 panels.

Any input on those inverters? Juram?

Sorry, I've been out of town for a bit. The first thing you mentioned about Solar Edge...it's a cool setup, central inverter with the trackers, I actually had looked into ,that as well but price meanings everything, it wouldn't much improve the overall efficiency and what I found is that there was about a $0.50 a watt upcharge at the time which I just didn't want to deal with.

The Power One inverters are perfect, exactly what I have, transformer-less although the sizing seems to be off somewhat. I have 2 5000 watt inverters for about a 10 kilowatt system. I'm guessing based on your string design they opted to do 3 inverters which is fine, allows them to be more creative with how the panels are arranged.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:10 PM

17 posts, read 21,025 times
You seem to have selected quite a few companies, but unless I'm misreading the thread I don't think you ever listed out the different company names. Could you let us know the companies that you identified as Company 1-7? Looking at your spreadsheet, we're thinking about going with LG panels from Company 6, but don't know who to contact. ;-)

Old 07-18-2014, 04:58 AM

604 posts, read 938,056 times
We're looking to build a new home in a couple years in Florence. Thanks to all of you for this great thread. It was "in the weeds" for much of it but what I could understand is "buying is much better than leasing" and roof position and space matters a lot. I'm just not sure how to assess the shape and position of the roof in a new build. If we are interested in adding solar this seems like a very important consideration when deciding which 'model' home to build. Obviously a lot of space south facing would be preferable (?). Are there simple rules we should apply as we consider this future home?

Old 07-19-2014, 09:22 AM

Yes, as big of an uninterupted south facing roof as possible.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:21 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,926,186 times
Solar energy good investment!!

My system was paid off in two years. Old bill $240 per month, now $10.95....

See my post..

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ng-charge.html

Old 09-02-2014, 11:10 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,195,354 times
OK, I'll have to resurrect this excellent thread again First I wonder what ever happened to HX Guy's system? Any progress? Also, as I have been yapping before we do not have enough roof space for solar. Would we need a permit for a cabana by the pool in our backyard or for a patio attached to our house in the backyard? Either one would deliver enough sunny roof space for solar. The other issue then are the solar companies. Most only want to deal with rooftop solar and anything a bit different they don't want to touch. Thanks for any input.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:32 PM

My project is in permitting with the city. It was submitted about 3 weeks ago and the initial one was denied (as most seem to be the first time around), waiting for them to resubmit with whatever needed fixed to be fixed (which I'm not sure why it was denied, should find out this week).

This is what the permits look like...

Old 09-03-2014, 10:31 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,596,519 times
I haven't read all 12 pages, so forgive me if this was already addressed.

Regarding the leases, please, please, PLEASE have a lawyer look over the lease for you! Recently solar leases have become a huge issue when selling a home. I can only speak for my experience with Solar City on a recent sale I handled, but it was a potential deal killer. Talking with other agents, they are also experiencing the same thing.

One of the biggest hurdles my seller faced was that the buyer had to qualify for the lease. While that wasn't a problem for these buyers, once they started looking into the lease more they found out their lease rate would no longer be the same and it could actually go up every year. To prevent that, there was a one time buy out that my seller had to pay to make this deal work, to the tune of $5,000. I've heard from other agents that their buy outs were sometimes double that amount.

So, please, have a lawyer read your lease before signing so you know what you are getting yourself in to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area