Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:17 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,957,761 times

Advertisements

If anyone is still following along...

I got some production figures from a local Phoenix guy on another forum who shared his link from Sunpower, freaking cool stuff: https://www.sunpowermonitor.com/resi...2&type=address

I took the numbers of his 6.9kW system and applied them to a 10.5kW (assuming it's linear) and got a yearly production of 18,621 which is close to the 18,020 I was quoted today. I then used a 1.52 multiplier and applied it to the past 12 months and compared the production to our usage. Now of course this is a total estimate but I'm hoping it's close to +/-10%.

This is based off the standard rate plan, not the TOU. Figuring the TOU would be a lot more difficult, I may do it if I get super bored.
According to this, I could see a potential savings right off the bat of ~$300/year. After the solar system is paid off, then the savings would be $2,400 per year. Does that seem about right?

Last edited by HX_Guy; 04-28-2014 at 10:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 09:45 PM

2,622 posts, read 2,347,335 times
I'll I can say is that you've got a lot of time on your hands with being able to make these spread sheets and house diagrams. ROFL

Old 04-28-2014, 09:47 PM

No kids.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
No kids.
Haha me either.

I'm learning a lot about my system from your posts. I worked your math backwards since this gentleman's system is like mine and he's producing kWh that are very similar to my solar city tracking but as I mentioned in previous posts, the APS solar was about 20% lower for what went in to their system and for what I actually got credit for. Might want to clarify with him if that APS tracked or his monitoring system.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:57 PM

That is very odd that what's feeding back into APS's system would be that much less, have you looked into that? I'll ask him about it as well. Those numbers I used are from his system's monitoring, not from APS.

By the way are you on the Time of Use plan or the Standard plan from APS? If on Time of Use, I can send you a link to the spreadsheets I built so you could calculate how much your bills would be if you were on Standard.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
That is very odd that what's feeding back into APS's system would be that much less, have you looked into that? I'll ask him about it as well. Those numbers I used are from his system's monitoring, not from APS.

By the way are you on the Time of Use plan or the Standard plan from APS? If on Time of Use, I can send you a link to the spreadsheets I built so you could calculate how much your bills would be if you were on Standard.
I haven't heard back but as someone with more experience than me in this thread, they mentioned the monitoring systems not really being all the accurate. I think the wording was "finicky." He stated that all that matters is what APS gets because that's the only way you get money back. And he's right. So definitely take that into your consideration.

I'm on Time of use but as you noticed from my figures, I'll likely stay on peak positive for most of the year, while paying for off peak use for at least half the year. Off peak is super cheap so not a huge deal (I paid about $4 for 100 kWh last bill) but I would be curious if I'd come out ahead if it was all lumped together?

Old 04-28-2014, 10:14 PM

I made a thread on a solar forum asking other APS customers how their system reporting compares to APS's reporting, I'll let you know what people say.

Was your total bill $4? Or plus taxes? $4 would be nuts and I'd be curious to see the whole bill if possible as the cheapest my spreadsheets come out to is $14 since there are other fees that aren't even related to kWh but to days of service.

I'll message you a link to the Google Docs spreadsheet where you can plug in numbers and see what your bills would be on the Standard rate plan.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I made a thread on a solar forum asking other APS customers how their system reporting compares to APS's reporting, I'll let you know what people say.

Was your total bill $4? Or plus taxes? $4 would be nuts and I'd be curious to see the whole bill if possible as the cheapest my spreadsheets come out to is $14 since there are other fees that aren't even related to kWh but to days of service.

I'll message you a link to the Google Docs spreadsheet where you can plug in numbers and see what your bills would be on the Standard rate plan.
Fees usually equate to around $20. So the month where we weren't living in the house but generating solar, that bill was about $20 with $0 charged for electricity usage. This month solar covered everything but 100 kWh of off peak usage which added about $4 to the bill. Total bill was $24.45.

Let me know if other APS customers aren't matching up to the monitoring systems.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:18 PM

Ok, that's what I figured. I messaged you that link, let me know if you have any questions on it.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Ok, that's what I figured. I messaged you that link, let me know if you have any questions on it.
Thanks. I'll look at it later. I've got this thing called work at 6 am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area