Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 02:26 PM

939 posts, read 2,382,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowxorNever14 View Post
Cave Creek being rural and a small town is actually a very big part of the appeal for me. I don't like the suburbs and I dislike cookie cutter developments; I'd much prefer being in the desert on a dirt road with no one around than having neighbors right on top of me, to be honest. As it is now with our kids, we drive them to school and pick them up about 20 minutes away daily. The isolation is a plus, not a minus for me regarding CC.

With regard to cost of living, I can't imagine it being much more expensive, if at all, than it is around here. My wife and I don't live to work, we work to live. Money, status, possessions, big homes, nice cars, etc. really aren't appealing to us. I mean its nice to have nice things but that stuff doesn't dictate our quality of life. Financially-speaking we just want to make sure that if we do live out there we'll be able to live somewhat comfortably and pay our bills.

I appreciate all the responses thus far..
You may just like Cave Creek then. Everybody just does their own thing. There are small homes on the same road as 100 acre ranches. The town is very interested in preserving its identity. If you've looked at the price of homes and they are what you want in your price range, Cave Creek might be your answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 06:30 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,073,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowxorNever14 View Post
Cave Creek being rural and a small town is actually a very big part of the appeal for me. I don't like the suburbs and I dislike cookie cutter developments;

it is not rural these days.....Cave Creek, formerly set well apart from the built-up Phx area, is now just a suburb of Phoenix.....the old "downtown" part of CC is still sorta Western and casual in a touristy sorta way and does have older places down dirt roads, but $$$$....I presume the "tear-down" phenomenon has hit old CC, too....a realtor will have to help you find that perfect spot down a dirt road.....but be warned, CC is among the pricier suburbs of Phoenix, as Paige suggests....

and a little bit of history: Carefree, immediately next door to CC, was started only in the 1960s and has a distinctly more sophisticated vibe (not that CC is a bunch of rednecks.....)

Last edited by azdr0710; 04-28-2014 at 06:49 PM..

Old 04-29-2014, 01:23 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,897,877 times
If you're looking for motorcycles, guns, and churches, then Cave Creek/North Phoenix will be fine for you. A lot of bikes and biker bars. You can still find non-cookie cutter houses in North Phoenix if you really look. Next time you guys are here you should check out Cave Creek Rd. in North Phoenix spanning from Cactus Rd. to Union Hills Rd. at the north end. Some stretches of that street go by in this order; bar, Harley dealer, biker bar, mega church, bar, pawn shop, biker bar, little church, older houses on the side of or next to hills, and mountain views all around. It's a pretty stretch of road that can be blue collar to white depending on how far up the hill the house is.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:43 PM

22 posts, read 48,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
If you're looking for motorcycles, guns, and churches, then Cave Creek/North Phoenix will be fine for you. A lot of bikes and biker bars. You can still find non-cookie cutter houses in North Phoenix if you really look. Next time you guys are here you should check out Cave Creek Rd. in North Phoenix spanning from Cactus Rd. to Union Hills Rd. at the north end. Some stretches of that street go by in this order; bar, Harley dealer, biker bar, mega church, bar, pawn shop, biker bar, little church, older houses on the side of or next to hills, and mountain views all around. It's a pretty stretch of road that can be blue collar to white depending on how far up the hill the house is.
Thanks!

Old 04-29-2014, 06:52 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,661,420 times
Just so you're clear, area that cacto described is Cave Creek Rd., but not in (or really that close to) the Town of Cave Creek that you were inquiring about. Nonetheless, it sounds like it may be a good fit. Cave Creek is about 15 miles north of there.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Just so you're clear, area that cacto described is Cave Creek Rd., but not in (or really that close to) the Town of Cave Creek that you were inquiring about. Nonetheless, it sounds like it may be a good fit. Cave Creek is about 15 miles north of there.

Ok, thanks.

Anyone know what the job market is like with regards to the hospitality/ food & beverage industry? Its highly unlikely I'd be able to secure a job in that line of work prior to moving, so I'm trying to get a feel for how difficult it may be to obtain employment quickly once I'm actually there. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 4,838 times
Cave Creek isn't just the "Western Town" up in the town of Cave Creek. It comes south into Scottsdale and into the Tatum Ranch, Tatum Highlands, Dove Valley Ranch, and Lone Mountain areas- which area all family oriented. They have Cave Creek address and are in the Cave Creek School District. They are suburban-type neighborhoods with shopping/restaurants nearby at Desert Ridge, City North, and golf courses. Lone Mountain Lennar homes to Desert Ridge is 8 miles and there is also shopping on Scottsdale Road over by Whisper Rock (Target/Safeway/starbucks/Pei wei). North Scottsdale is a mecca for the food/bev/hospitality industry. - many high end resorts with restaurants and bars. Kierland, Boulders, Scottsdale. You should have no problem finding a job, especially heading into "the season" when many flock to AZ (fall/winter).

Old 07-14-2014, 08:00 PM

268 posts, read 431,046 times
Actual Cave Creek has a median household value north of $550,000 according to census data. Though that area Cacto was talking about sounded promising.

The Tatum/Desert Ridge area is also pretty pricey. Might be affordable pockets, but I think around the $200k mark you're going to be looking at townhouses, which doesn't sound up your alley.

One thing to consider is where your jobs will be. Arizona has plenty of tourism and health care-related jobs, however Cave Creek is pretty much on the edge of the Valley and you might have a commute ahead of you. Good news is Scottsdale has a robust job market for both of your chosen fields and you should be able to find jobs there, minimizing your commute. Just something to think about.

I'm pretty sure for food and beverage related jobs, you'll need a food handler's card. It's probably easy to get, but you'll need to take a test of some sort. Just a head's up.

If you don't mind a commute, I'm sure you'll be able to find affordable land with outskirts of town. Good luck!

Old 07-17-2014, 09:00 AM

I appreciate your responses. We're moving into an apartment in Tatum Ranch which we'll be leasing for a year, after that we'll be purchasing a home. Having the time to see the area a little more and to decide exactly where we'd like to buy a home will be beneficial I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area