Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I move, based upon what I posted?
Stay in Denver, regardless of how I feel about my assignment. 8 27.59%
Stay in Denver if I can move to a better assignment. 10 34.48%
Go to Las Vegas. 1 3.45%
Go to Phoenix. 10 34.48%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 10,095 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Denver, and it's the only city I've ever actually loved. There's a paid move possibly coming down the pipe (I'm a Federal employee), and being the lowest-paid, single guy, it's likely that they'll be "asking" me if I'd "like" to move.

My options are shaping up to be Phoenix or Las Vegas.

I'm a 25 year old male, but LV doesn't really appeal to me - seems that it might be kind of sleazy. At the same time, I've heard that Phoenix isn't all that great, either.

So the question is, what do I do? I'm not really happy with my assignment in Denver (there's a possibility that I could change this), and moving to either PHX or LV will give me plenty of freedom in my professional life, but I'm not sure if I'll be enjoying myself once I punch the clock and head home.

I know you can't have it all, but this is really bothering me. Ideas?

Old 12-10-2007, 11:31 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
I was born and raised in Denver, been going to college here in Tempe the last few years, and I've been to Las Vegas at least 15 different times (on roads trips visiting family out there-- I've seen significant areas of the city outside the strip). So I'm pretty familiar with all three cities. If you're unhappy with the assignment at your current employer right now, but love Denver-- what about looking for a new job in the Denver area? Is that an option for you?

I think that of the three, Denver and Phoenix are better as a place to live, and will offer the most variety of job opportunities. As much as I love Las Vegas, I think Vegas is better to visit for fun rather than living there full time-- unless if you can afford to live in a very nice area of town, such as Summerlin-- you'll be living in a dump. I would also say, if you don't LOVE it "hot hot hot," don't even think about moving to either Phoenix or Vegas, or you'll be miserable. IMHO, the city of Denver has more to offer than the city of Phoenix, and in a prettier, more cohesive package. Don't get me wrong-- Phoenix has all the basics-- everything a big city should have-- name an activity and Phoenix will have it in one place or another: 4 professional sports teams, fine dining, ethnic food/ festivals, night clubs, bars, shopping, a college, libraries, museums, parks, etc. The problem with Phoenix is that all the "good stuff" is spread too thin all over the place. With Denver, you can really sense when you leave the suburbs and enter "The City." With Phoenix, it feels like the entire city is one suburb. I don't know how to describe it exactly-- it's kind of a "hollow" feeling. Now, in terms of suburb-to-suburb comparison, the suburbs of Phoenix have just as much to offer, if not even more, than the comparative suburbs of Denver. For example, Denver doesn't really have an equivalent to a Scottsdale or a Tempe. The suburbs of Denver are BORE-ing (with the exception of Golden and Boulder-- which aren't really suburbs anyway).

Old 12-11-2007, 07:14 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
You really have to make the decision by yourself.

There are plenty of posts in other threads that describe in detail the differences in Las Vegas and Phoenix.

Denver and Phoenix are polar opposites as far as the weather and surrounding mountains are concerned, with the snow and close proximity for skiing in Denver, and the desert weather in Phoenix.

I don't know about the social activities for a single 25 year old male, but there are other threads that provide a lot of information.

If you search for these threads you'll find a lot of information that may help you to make your decision faster.

Good luck on whatever you decide, and I'm sure you will make the right decision.

Bill

Old 12-11-2007, 08:30 AM

549 posts, read 1,559,198 times
> So the question is, what do I do? I'm not really happy with my assignment in Denver (there's a possibility that I could change this), and moving to either
> PHX or LV will give me plenty of freedom in my professional life, but I'm not sure if I'll be enjoying myself once I punch the clock and head home.

I think of those cities, Denver is the best - a walkable downtown, and better public transit infrastructure. Phoenix would be your next best bet. It's similar to Denver with its mountains and outdoorsy lifestyle, as well as its sports focus and nearby skiing. It's not as interesting a city as Denver, but has some similarities - the only problem with Phoenix is that while it has many of the same benefits of Denver, it's too spread out and requires driving everywehre. Las Vegas is the odd city out - it has nice entertainment but is a bit strange, and doesn't have the sports environment that Denver or Phoenix has.

If I were you, I'd try to find another position in Denver - and if that didn't work out, I'd take the better job in Phoenix.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:02 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Good, balanced advice above without any of the long-distance Phoenix bashing that sometimes contaminates these threads. I'd say stay in Denver if there's any prospect of a better position there. I like what I've seen of Denver; the only thing I dislike is the weather, which has been unpleasant during most of my visits. If you're accustomed to the climate, just as I am accustomed to desert heat, then it shouldn't be a problem for you. I think Phoenix is a good place to live, but if you're content where you are, then why add the stress of a relocation?

Old 01-10-2008, 10:47 PM

17 posts, read 78,413 times
Having lived in PHX metro area for over 20 years and visiting Denver 2-3X/year to see family, its a tough one. I've often said that when I leave PHX, I want to go to Denver. I would love to be in an area (again) with 4 seasons, but without the extreme cold. Denver has almost as many sunny days as AZ. Here's your perk: it IS fun in AZ, and the housing is less expensive. Phoenix is pretty spread out and has lots of areas to choose from, so check out these threads. Good luck to you!!

Old 01-12-2008, 08:19 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidStumpblaster View Post
I currently live in Denver, and it's the only city I've ever actually loved. There's a paid move possibly coming down the pipe (I'm a Federal employee), and being the lowest-paid, single guy, it's likely that they'll be "asking" me if I'd "like" to move.

My options are shaping up to be Phoenix or Las Vegas.

I'm a 25 year old male, but LV doesn't really appeal to me - seems that it might be kind of sleazy. At the same time, I've heard that Phoenix isn't all that great, either.

So the question is, what do I do? I'm not really happy with my assignment in Denver (there's a possibility that I could change this), and moving to either PHX or LV will give me plenty of freedom in my professional life, but I'm not sure if I'll be enjoying myself once I punch the clock and head home.

I know you can't have it all, but this is really bothering me. Ideas?
You already answered your own question.

Stay in Denver; that is where your 'heart' is.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:33 PM

7,726 posts, read 1,888,759 times
That's a very important decision to put into anyones hands but your own, it is your life after all and no matter what anyone else thinks you are the one who is going to live with the results.
Have you ever been to Arizona? I think at the very least you should come here for at least a week or so ( if possible in the summer) and see what you think then. It is not a good idea to make your decision without checking out your options. Whatever you decide good luck to you!

Old 01-14-2008, 03:31 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
LiquidStumpblaster wonders:

> I currently live in Denver, and it's the only city I've ever actually loved.
> ... paid move - lowest-paid, (young - 25 years old) single guy, ....

You don't say where else you have lived, but didn't love.

If I was moving from Boston, Houston, or (insert far-away city name here) I'd probably pick Denver.

Where is your sense of adventure? You're 25. Move, live there for all twelve months and see what you think. Then move to Portland and try something else out. Later, when you are an OF, you'll be glad that you tried some things out. You can always go back to Denver.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:49 AM

12 posts, read 31,947 times
I know these posts are old, but have you made a decision? I am currently in Albany, NY and cannot decide between Denver and Phoenix also. My wife hates winters albeit I hear the Denver snow melts quickly, 220 sunny days a year, better concentrated urban life...and more federal jobs (we are both federal employees). What did you decide...and how is it going?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area