Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 10:53 AM

604 posts, read 934,420 times

Advertisements

We're planning our first tour of age-restricted communities in mid June. We're flying from MN to PHX. First stop will be a two night stay at Del Webb's Festival. During that time we thought we'd take a quick look at S.C. Grand, S.C. West and Pebble Creek.

Then we're off to Tucson for a 3 night stay at Saddlebrooke Ranch. During this stay we want to see Vistoso, Sunflower, Rancho Del Lago, Quail Creek.

Finally we're heading back to the airport with a two night stay at S.C. Anthem at Merrill Ranch. While there we want to also see Sun Lakes, Province.

We're a couple years off from making a move but wanted to take a first look. We want to stay pretty close to $175k to $230k so some communities are a little rich for our blood. Also, we want casual. I'm a bit put off seeing guys in dress slacks and alligator marked polo shirts hanging out a golf clubs. Sorry folks, we prefer shorts, t-shirts and sandals. I've worked big city professional jobs, have graduate degree but for gosh sakes folks...give it up and relax!

We also prefer established homes as opposed to new construction. Who wants to build with the additional upgrades, window coverings and landscaping (which takes years to mature)? Seems like existing homes are a better buy.

We're open to your suggestions on communities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 01:47 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Fountain of the Sun in east Mesa. Some friends of mine live there and like it a lot. Their home and neighborhood are really nice.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:57 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
My wife's 92 year old uncle lived in Fountain of the Sun up until recently when we moved him to a assisted living place. We visited him monthly for five years and the place always seemed dead and kind of depressing. The golf course was always empty and the few people we seen moving about the community all seemed to be really old and it didn't seem like an active adult community.

I was just a monthly visitor but that is the way it felt to me, I guess you got a different overall vibe of the place observer53?

Do they have regular houses in there? All the places around him were duplex condos and they all sold for around the $80k mark when we were selling his.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:17 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post

Then we're off to Tucson for a 3 night stay at Saddlebrooke Ranch. During this stay we want to see Vistoso, Sunflower, Rancho Del Lago, Quail Creek.

We're open to your suggestions on communities!
Wow that will be an action packed trip! I can comment on only Saddlebrooke Ranch as we did the 3-night stay there also. Saddlebrook Ranch is about a 20 minute drive north of Tucson. There is nothing near it as the tiny town of Oracle is further north, I think. Saddlebrook Ranch is new build only and I think with the upgrades you are looking close to $300,000 - $500,000 for a move in. Check out original "Saddlebrook" a few miles from the ranch, it is built out and has only a few lots left. I have read threads/posts of people picking up really good deals on already built Saddlebrook homes. Around $200,000. Saddlebrook Ranch was pretty windy when we were there, so I think that is a negative.

You have access to facilities at either one, no matter where you live. The pool, clubhouse etc. were beautiful!

If you want more info you might have to post your message on the Tucson Board and make it Tucson specific.

In terms of a country club feel I felt both Saddlebrook and Saddlebrook Ranch were very Country Club. The couple that hosted us for dinner were from Newport Beach, very nice, but very snobby and I thought I am trying to escape the snobs of California and here they are. They love living in the Ranch but were "OC" (Orange County) all the way.

We have visited several Del Webbs, not over night but for a day, and none of them felt "country club" to me but full of happy retired, middle class people, not the snob feeling.

I think you should still visit/stay in the Ranch as that is upper end and it will help you compare to the more middle end communities such as Del Webb.

All of this is my opinion only, others will feel different. We crossed both Saddlebrooks off of our list, we lived in and worked in La Jolla for 25 years and have had enough of the CA snobs to more than last a lifetime.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:53 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,341,709 times
So you guys gave up on the communities in Casa Grande?

Since you seem to be interested in both Phoenix and Tucson - CG has the advantage of being halfway between the two....

Merrill at Anthem is a nice, less expensive place - but definitely removed from urban areas for at least the next 5 years....

But the golf course there is pretty nice - its a Troon!

Old 04-29-2014, 04:07 AM

604 posts, read 934,420 times
Happy Inca aptly described what we hope to avoid by describing people as "Country Club" or very "Orange County". I think I understand completely. Funny, I lived most of my life in California (Bay Area). As a professional a suit (costume?) is understandable but at some point I gave up the idea that I was my job. Now I'm just a guy and want to live in a community of just people who no longer define themselves by their past professions and social status.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:15 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,591,980 times
For all communities you visit, please keep in mind distance to medical facilities. It's something to consider as we age and some communities aren't close to any hospital.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:04 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
For all communities you visit, please keep in mind distance to medical facilities. It's something to consider as we age and some communities aren't close to any hospital.
Good advice, that should be one of the top considerations for retirees.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:52 PM

391 posts, read 788,052 times
Might consider Trilogy at Vistancia. We really like it. New prices start at about $250k but lightly lived in resales are available in your price range.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:31 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Fountain of the Sun in east Mesa. Some friends of mine live there and like it a lot. Their home and neighborhood are really nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
My wife's 92 year old uncle lived in Fountain of the Sun up until recently when we moved him to a assisted living place. We visited him monthly for five years and the place always seemed dead and kind of depressing. The golf course was always empty and the few people we seen moving about the community all seemed to be really old and it didn't seem like an active adult community.

I was just a monthly visitor but that is the way it felt to me, I guess you got a different overall vibe of the place observer53?

Do they have regular houses in there? All the places around him were duplex condos and they all sold for around the $80k mark when we were selling his.

Having my own "senior moment" here. Perhaps too much "sun".

The development I'm thinking of is Sunland Springs Village. Guessed at the name without actually checking the address and the map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area