Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 09:43 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,302,778 times

Advertisements

This breaks my heart. We were just hiking at Pinnacle Peak last weekend and were in awe of this amazing cactus. I had planned to go back to see it blooming, now it will never be the same

Teen accused of cutting arm off iconic saguaro on Scottsdale trail | azfamily.com Phoenix

Old 05-21-2014, 09:56 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,070,628 times
I am sorry but I don't see why we have to preserve every single stupid saguarto cactus in this state. There are a gazillion of them and it will probably grow another "arm" so why take some poor teen to jail just because he did this deed. Jail should be for criminals, not teenagers, in my opinion. Just another example of the way some people in Scottsdale think. JMH good for nothin O...

Old 05-21-2014, 10:04 PM

This one was quite unique. It had a unique shape and was right on the trail so you could get a nice, up close view of it. I was in awe of it when I saw it a week ago and was looking forward to going back and seeing it blooming. You can't often see the blooms up close because they are up so high, but this one's arm was bent down like an elephant's trunk.

I hope the 2 adults with him also got busted, and I question why he had a machete anyway. The laws against harming them are STATE laws, too. Scottsdale isn't to blame here

Old 05-21-2014, 10:08 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,069,545 times
wow, Barb....very harsh....

the saguaro will not grow another arm, at least at the point where this one was cut off....

the saguaro is the hallmark cactus of the Sonoran Desert....it's so much of an icon that saguaros are transplanted to areas outside its range so that that area can look more desert-y....

and you can see the saguaro was blooming in the picture....that bloom is the state flower of Arizona.....

we don't know the full story, of course, but blaming this arrest on some sort of "Scottsdale mentality" is a very strange assertion....at first view, this act was egregious and worthy of full punishment.....

(in his defense, it appears that arm was blocking the trail to some extent - could that be the reason??!!)

Old 05-21-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
wow, Barb....very harsh....

the saguaro will not grow another arm, at least at the point where this one was cut off....

the saguaro is the hallmark cactus of the Sonoran Desert....it's so much of an icon that saguaros are transplanted to areas outside its range so that that area can look more desert-y....

and you can see the saguaro was blooming in the picture....that bloom is the state flower of Arizona.....

we don't know the full story, of course, but blaming this arrest on some sort of "Scottsdale mentality" is a very strange assertion....at first view, this act was egregious and worthy of full punishment.....

(in his defense, it appears that arm was blocking the trail to some extent - could that be the reason??!!)
See my photo. Not blocking the trail at all.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:18 PM

397 posts, read 660,329 times
Reminds me of this: Ex-Boy Scout leaders involved in pushing over ancient rock charged - CNN.com

Some people just have no respect for nature, it's a shame, glad they were caught and hope they get duly punished.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:44 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I am sorry but I don't see why we have to preserve every single stupid saguarto cactus in this state. There are a gazillion of them and it will probably grow another "arm" so why take some poor teen to jail just because he did this deed. Jail should be for criminals, not teenagers, in my opinion. Just another example of the way some people in Scottsdale think. JMH good for nothin O...
This has nothing to do with "what people in Scottsdale think". It's state law. Contact your legislators if you think it's inappropriate.

And, the arm won't grow back, they don't do that. And, it won't grow any more arms if it doesn't survive this injury.

Last edited by observer53; 05-21-2014 at 11:07 PM..

Old 05-21-2014, 10:54 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,716,215 times
Outrageous and arrogant disrespect for Mother Nature and/or the property of others.

If this Teen is not severely criminally prosecuted now . . . who or what's next? A casual "PC slap on the hand" is by no means adequate. This POS needs to be taught a lesson before he does more harm.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:05 PM

169 posts, read 281,592 times
Saguaro cacti are stunningly beautiful plants and are endemic to the Southwestern United States and Northern Mexico. This particular one was 150 years old. So sad that there are people out there who would wantonly damage one. Give this punk jail time as an example to any other idiots out there who have no respect for nature.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:17 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,654,639 times
Wow Barb. The poor teen? Scottsdale mentality? What foolish, baseless comments. I hope they throw the book at him. To damage something that has endured for so long that was such a beautiful, unique specimen is beyond shameful. Clearly this is someone with issues and he should face strict punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area