Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 06:43 AM

755 posts, read 1,118,516 times

Advertisements

I want the true story!!

I just spent 5 days at the new vacation home getting it furnished and ready for my family to use. The home has been generally well cared for and is not spotless but is clean and tidy inside and out.

Before we made the purchase, we considered a vacation home on the Atlantic coast. Besides Phoenix being more easily accessible for us, another factor that might sound silly was BUGS. Everyone I asked about the Southeast said we'd have palmetto bugs and roaches in the house from time to time, no matter what. Ick.

Now, as we explored Phoenix, we asked about bugs--yes, scorpions, but primarily roaches. How's the roach situation, we'd ask.....

Our realtor said you see more of them near the golf courses. She said they are in the sewers as well. And then she said (she lives in Scottsdale) she has seen one in her house in 19 years. At this point I'm thinking a roach is an inch long deal, right?

We did look at condos in Phoenix and Scottsdale, and in one (bank owned and icky to begin with) there was a 3-inch cockroach on the kitchen floor (on its back, dying? I presume). I about died. The realtor said, "that's a sewer roach." And we left.

From there everyone we asked pretty much shook their head and said, "No, we never see them. If you don't live in an apartment and get your house sprayed, you don't see them."

Great! We bought a single-family home in Estrella Mountain Ranch. There is a pool. It is in what appears to be a well-kept neighborhood. The former owners had it sprayed a couple of months ago--it's due to be sprayed the end of this month.

I read here on city-data that when preparing your home to be left vacant one should seal the drains or roaches will come up through them. I asked the former owners to do this before they left and they thought I was crazy. Never seen a roach. I asked the home watch guy about it and he said, "I won't say I've never seen one in the homes we care for, but it's very rare to see one." (And then I forgot to shut all the drains in my hurry to leave, but the home watch does run the water every week.)

SO this weekend I get up Sunday morning, mother's day, LOVELY weather, cup of coffee in my hand, slide open the patio door and look down to see a good 2" cockroach on its back next to the door. About 5 feet away, another, smaller (but still huge) roach is on its back. Aaaaaaaahhhh. And Eeeeeeeeeek. I stepped on the "smaller" one (all I had was flip flops) and it squished so bad there was no way I was stepping on the bigger one. I used the pool net and a rock.

Honestly, it kind of wrecked my day. Even though they appeared to be dying (due to the pest control application, I presume). Seriously gross, and I couldn't help wondering if they'd get in the house.

I got over it. Then yesterday before I left, there was another one, big one on its back in the garage. Now, that qualifies as "in the house" to me.

So, what's the deal? I just happen to see three big roaches when others have "been here 15 years and only seen a couple of them..." ? Really? Is that a lot to see over the course of 4 days, or is it normal? If I have this many outside, will I have them inside, or not? And WILL they come up through the drains if the traps have water in them?

I sprayed some Black Flag around the perimeter of the house before I left just to make myself feel better, and I'm calling the pest control guy today.

But I'm asking ya'll: What's the truth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 06:53 AM

I should add that the landscaper came by the same day as the "incident" on the patio, and was wide-eyed. The landscaper. Never seen 'em. Huh. "They're usually associated with lack of cleanliness in the home," he says. No kidding? "But I guess that's not the case here...."

Now I'm from Montana and even I know that roaches like certain kinds of palm trees (and we do have some palm trees in the back yard of this vacation home). So how is it the landscaper has never come across one?

This is like some crazy practical joke that everyone is in on but me. Am I on camera?!

Old 05-13-2014, 07:01 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,049,080 times
Really need to spray monthly to control insects. Sounds like it's been at least a few months since your house was treated? Unless you saw a receipt, it's hard to know how truthful the prior owners are about something like this.

Bottom line is to spray monthly. We only spray outside.

Hikernut

Old 05-13-2014, 07:09 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times
I don't see roaches in my home because I see to it that I don't see them. People who say they never see them don't go to their kitchen at 10 pm and turn on the light. Unless they make sure they aren't present, that's when to see roaches.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:14 AM

Oh yes, I will be having it sprayed immediately. Do I need to have the whole yard sprayed?

So why are people saying they "never see a roach" and I have seen 3 in a 5 day period? Is my house just overrun? No one else ever sees them outside even? If this is true, I'd say I bought a house with a huge problem....?

Old 05-13-2014, 07:18 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Really need to spray monthly to control insects. Sounds like it's been at least a few months since your house was treated? Unless you saw a receipt, it's hard to know how truthful the prior owners are about something like this.

Bottom line is to spray monthly. We only spray outside.

Hikernut
No, you don't. I've never done it, never lived in a house where it was done. I suppose if one is completely bug phobic and can't stand the sight of even one, it would seem necessary. But for everyone? Certainly not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
Oh yes, I will be having it sprayed immediately. Do I need to have the whole yard sprayed?

So why are people saying they "never see a roach" and I have seen 3 in a 5 day period? Is my house just overrun? No one else ever sees them outside even? If this is true, I'd say I bought a house with a huge problem....?

Your house is not "overrun". Good grief. If you feel you must spray outside, then yes, spray the whole yard. In many areas of the Valley, they aren't commonly seen. We had a serious problem with sewer roaches in Tempe many years ago, but the city got pretty aggressive about treating the sewers, and the problem resolved; I live in a different area of town now, and there's never been an issue. I see one once in a while, sometimes dead or dying. It doesn't ruin my day.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:23 AM

Okay, so what's the truth? Do you see them, outside, occasionally? Regularly? What I'm asking is, how unusual is it to see them (dying, because the house had been sprayed....right?)?? Is the rate at which I encountered them actually unusual? According to everyone (and I mean everyone) I spoke with, you just don't see them at all. And I saw three large ones.

Do I have a problem here, or is this within the range of normal?

Is it really possible that the landscaper never sees them?

Old 05-13-2014, 07:34 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,680,057 times
the big ones are sewer roaches & they wont colonize your home. cleanliness isnt a factor, has nothing to do with whether you see them or not. every city in the valley has them in the sewers & when outdoor temps start topping 100, they start coming out. the good news for you is that it sounds like they're not coming up from your drains, just buzzing your neighborhood. I'd definitely get the house, yard & block wall sprayed & have it re-done every 90 days to keep the protection in effect.

as for people not seeing things - i dunno.. lots of people here claim to have never seen scorps, snakes, roaches, coyotes, jackrabbits & everything else.. theyre here if you look for them.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
I'm in the west valley and for the last month or so am seeing dead roaches daily outside. The key word is outside!
Pest control is working fine as they are dead or dying. Just part of living here as far as I know...

Old 05-13-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Your house is not "overrun". Good grief. If you feel you must spray outside, then yes, spray the whole yard. In many areas of the Valley, they aren't commonly seen. We had a serious problem with sewer roaches in Tempe many years ago, but the city got pretty aggressive about treating the sewers, and the problem resolved; I live in a different area of town now, and there's never been an issue. I see one once in a while, sometimes dead or dying. It doesn't ruin my day.
Okay, this is what I'm asking. When everyone (everyone.) has told us "Nope, never. Never!" and I see three in 2 days I'm thinking, "Gee, is it me? Or is this actually normal?" And does it mean I'll have them in the house?

It wouldn't ruin my day if I thought it was within the range of normal. But with everyone including the landscaper saying they "never" see them, and I see three my first trip....see what I mean? That's why I'm asking for the straight story here. Thank you.

I don't really need, though, the rather condescending "good grief" and "if you feel you must," tone, lol as if I'm being ridiculous. I'm asking not because I am particularly bug-phobic, (though I am, I deal with it--I don't expect to never see bugs). I do not want roaches in my house. Period. I have been told, repeatedly that I shouldn't see them, and I saw three. At the home. The landscaper says he "never" sees them. So I'm asking if there is a problem here, or if this is actually normal and if perhaps some people are a)in denial b) not truthful or c) just not paying attention.

I'm not freaking out, but yes when I arrive at a "new" home and see something that appears to be a problem (according to what I've been told I should expect) needing attention, I want to know what the deal is.

I didn't stop up the drains. Will my house be full of roaches when I get back?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area