Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 05:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,374 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in North Carolina but am thinking about relocating to Sun City AZ. Should I give away all my winter sweaters, coats, boots etc? Also, what types of outdoor tools should I keep - in other words, is there much outside upkeep? Thanks for any advice from inhabitants - not visitors please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 06:00 AM

75 posts, read 213,478 times
I have been there in January a few times when it gets cold. I was wearing a heavy sweatshirt. If you have specific sun city questions, check out talkofsuncity.com and ask questions there. Everyone is great about answering your questions.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:53 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,723,499 times
December and January are fairly cool. You wont need winter boots like Sorels but you will wear coats and jackets. Two years ago there were quite a few nights that fell below freezing. Daytime highs of 57 or less are not uncommon in December and January. Almost all the homes are low maintenance with rock yards. Quite a few homes have orange and grapefruit trees. The HOA's might provide maintenace for the trees depending on where you live. A lot of gardening in Arizona is patio gardening with pots and maybe small flower bed areas. A weed sprayer might be handy all the HOA might spray for weeds also a few hand tools.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:32 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,619,502 times
Keep your sweaters and light jackets (your body will adjust and yes 40-50 degrees will feel cold). Keep your heavy gear if you plan to visit the mountains during winter.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:37 AM

8,286 posts, read 8,697,862 times
The upkeep depends on what you buy. Some people still have grass. If you buy a typical SC home you will need blower and a few basic garden tools.

I would keep all of your winter clothes, except maybe the boots. You may go up north some time. You will get a lot of use with the sweaters, you just won't need a coat on top. I have seen some people wearing winter coats but they were really old. For me a hooded sweatshirt is the most I ever needed. The lowest its been since I moved here was 23 and that was only for a few hours. It warms up quick here and if your not out in the early morning you wouldn't care.

I would ignore talkofsuncity. I don't feel it is a true representation of SC.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:56 AM

551 posts, read 695,861 times
If you plan on visiting anyone during the winter you will need that heavy gear.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:03 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,663,927 times
Winters in the Phoenix are mild, but definitely not "warm" in the same respect as winters in, say, South Florida--a very common misconception of outsiders.

Low temperatures in the Valley often dip into the 40's on many a winter night and into the upper 30's in the outskirts of the Valley, up to and including Sun City. Although high temperatures usually range in the avenue of 60-75 degrees on most winter days, that's only for about an hour or two in the mid-to-late afternoon. Mornings, from sunrise to about 11:30am, are usually very chilly (i.e., 40's & 50's). For example, I wear a toque, gloves, and heavy sweatshirt or jacket on my daily 5:30am runs from December 1 - March 1. Not much compensation for our hellish summers, if you ask me.

The longer you live here, the chillier the winters will feel, so while you may not wear traditional winter clothing during your first couple of winters here, you will certainly need it after that. But hey, this is Arizona after all, one of the nation's most transient states, so chances are good that you won't even be living here after a couple of years anyway...

Old 08-10-2014, 11:56 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,091,830 times
Are plaid pants and white shoes still all the rage for men in SC?

Old 08-10-2014, 04:55 PM

8,286 posts, read 8,697,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
Are plaid pants and white shoes still all the rage for men in SC?
Of course not. We wear plaid shorts and white socks with our sandals. For times we want to dress up we wear Hawaiian shirts. I am glad we have a no halter top or tube top rule at the rec centers. Don't really want to see that.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:49 PM

44,676 posts, read 61,787,970 times
We dress like this 9 months out of the year, the other months we add a sweater or light jacket.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area