Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 10:36 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,242,549 times

Advertisements

We received three notifications from Maricopa Country Recorder Elections about upcoming elections in Arizona. One for me, one for my wife and one for my active duty military son. The notification stated we only needed to return the forms if we needed to change something with our current registration like address, name, etc. We didn't return any of the forms.

About two weeks later we get three orange cards in the mail stating that this is the final notice before removing us from the voter registration list. It states the first mailings were returned as undeliverable even though I have all three of the "first mailings" in my hand.

I called the Maricopa County Recorder Elections to inquire as to why I received a notice that I was being removed from the voter registration and the lady I spoke to got very vague and stated they just wanted to verify our address and we needed to call in to verify. No where on the orange form does it say I need to call in, I just called on my own as I wanted to make sure there were no problems.

She stated that had I not called in I would not have received any ballots this year but she put me back on the list to receive ballots since I called in as required. She couldn't explain when I told her that no where on the form does it say I need to call in and she stated "calling in is the only way we know you're still at that address".

Don't know what is going on but wanted to give others a heads up as something seems fishy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 10:47 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,187,455 times
Yay, voter suppression!!!

Old 06-11-2014, 10:54 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,357,638 times
Not suppression, but verification. You would be surprised at the number of non residents that vote in Arizona.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:23 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,752,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Not suppression, but verification. You would be surprised at the number of non residents that vote in Arizona.
You of course will be able to provide evidence of this allegation.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:28 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,752,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
We received three notifications from Maricopa Country Recorder Elections about upcoming elections in Arizona. One for me, one for my wife and one for my active duty military son. The notification stated we only needed to return the forms if we needed to change something with our current registration like address, name, etc. We didn't return any of the forms.

About two weeks later we get three orange cards in the mail stating that this is the final notice before removing us from the voter registration list. It states the first mailings were returned as undeliverable even though I have all three of the "first mailings" in my hand.

I called the Maricopa County Recorder Elections to inquire as to why I received a notice that I was being removed from the voter registration and the lady I spoke to got very vague and stated they just wanted to verify our address and we needed to call in to verify. No where on the orange form does it say I need to call in, I just called on my own as I wanted to make sure there were no problems.

She stated that had I not called in I would not have received any ballots this year but she put me back on the list to receive ballots since I called in as required. She couldn't explain when I told her that no where on the form does it say I need to call in and she stated "calling in is the only way we know you're still at that address".

Don't know what is going on but wanted to give others a heads up as something seems fishy.
The first set of notifications are standard and I believe that everyone on the PEVL (Permanent Early Voter List) receives them. They are particularly important for partisan primary elections if you are a registered independent as you must respond in order to receive a ballot for one of the party primaries. I have never heard of or received the orange ones that you describe. Hopefully this was an isolated error.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:41 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,242,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The first set of notifications are standard and I believe that everyone on the PEVL (Permanent Early Voter List) receives them. They are particularly important for partisan primary elections if you are a registered independent as you must respond in order to receive a ballot for one of the party primaries. I have never heard of or received the orange ones that you describe. Hopefully this was an isolated error.
That was my initial thought but when she became so vague and non committal when asking her questions it caused me some concern. The orange card doesn't say anything about having to call in. I hope a bunch of people don't ignore the cards and then don't receive a ballot in the mail.

Matter of fact, I just reread the card and it says specifically that you don't have to do anything if you received the card.

She asked me a bunch of questions on the phone about party affiliation, all my personal information, other mailing addresses, etc. to add me back to the voter registration list. It sounded like I had already been removed and she specifically stated I would not have received any ballots this year had I not called in.

Last edited by LBTRS; 06-11-2014 at 12:03 PM..

Old 06-11-2014, 12:46 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,357,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
You of course will be able to provide evidence of this allegation.
A substantial number of proofs have been provided to the state. That is why they are doing this unannounced verification to purge the rolls of illegal voters.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:18 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
Quote:
A substantial number of proofs have been provided to the state. That is why they are doing this unannounced verification to purge the rolls of illegal voters.
Surely there must be a news story about this that you can link to, or some other source other than your anecdotal information.

It only makes sense to verify/update the mailed ballot list on a fairly regular basis.

It does sound like there may have been some glitches in how it was done in LBTRS' case, but I'm not going along with this "purge of illegal voters" stuff just on your say so.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:45 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,185,746 times
Quote:
Yeah, right. What a BS. The proponents of the Wisconsin vote suppression law could not provide proof of one single case (!) of voter fraud to the judge, who consequently struck the law down. The urge to invent problems and then regulate them has completely shifted to those who once embraced Ronald Reagan and deregulation. Times are a changing. Cliven Bundy is sure proud of you, though.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:17 PM

6,407 posts, read 9,004,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Yeah, right. What a BS. The proponents of the Wisconsin vote suppression law could not provide proof of one single case (!) of voter fraud to the judge, who consequently struck the law down. The urge to invent problems and then regulate them has completely shifted to those who once embraced Ronald Reagan and deregulation. Times are a changing. Cliven Bundy is sure proud of you, though.
Cliven Bundy has nothing to do with voting in Arizona.

O.P. - Have you moved since your last registration? The orange notice reads as if they have two address' on file for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: