Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 04:18 PM

38,955 posts, read 50,875,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Right but if you have to choose to cut one, cut music. Easy choice.
Music is not just blowing a horn and banging on the drum all day. It is about our culture, our history, the great composers, the way music speaks to the issues of the day. Music is civilization. Sports, on the other hand, is a throwback to our days in the cave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 05:41 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,211,921 times
Quote:
At least sports gets kids in shape and improves their self esteem and builds friendships. Studies show kids in sports are less likely to get into drugs and do better in school. Playing a dumb clarinet or trumpet does nothing for a kid lol.
Except get them into Ivy League schools.

Let's think about this. How many of those players start? And of those players who start, how many of them are good enough to get Division I scholarships? How many hours do you think each of these players, student assistants and student trainers spend at practice, games and travel each week? Now think about how much better of those students would be if they devoted that same amount of time studying for the SAT or playing a musical instrument.

I played football in high school. I learned some great values but it was a colossal waste of time. Practice was 3 hours each day after school. By the time you showered and ate dinner, you were too exhausted to study for real classes like AP History etc. There were some of us who did it but we paid a price. It definitely impacted our grades and standardized test scores. Games would take up your entire weekend on away games and Saturday was used to recover from Friday night games. During summers, we had 2 a days. In the spring, we had "volunteer" workouts. It's just sad that people will place short term popularity at the expense of long term gains. I have nothing against football but if you are going to play it, you better be good enough that it will benefit your career. For most people associated with football, that's not going to be the case. The coaches brainwash you into thinking it is your life and nothing else matters. And these are the same wannabes who live vicariously though their students while they "teach" history or some non-descript science class.

If you have Ivy League aspirations or even full rides at public schools, I would be very careful about enrolling your child in a sport that consumes their life like football. The only exception of course is if they have the size, and ability to play at a collegiate level.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-13-2014 at 06:00 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 05:45 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,222,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Except get them into Ivy League schools.

Sports can do the same

Old 06-13-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Sports can do the same
Not for 99% of athletes. The only way sports can do that is if you are a nationally recognized high school athlete. Harvard doesn't care if you rode the bench at Hamilton. They care about GPA, and SAT score more. Guess who has more time to study....that's right the trumpet player

Old 06-13-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Not for 99% of athletes. The only way sports can do that is if you are a nationally recognized high school athlete. Harvard doesn't care if you rode the bench at Hamilton. They care about GPA, and SAT score more. Guess who has more time to study....that's right the trumpet player
Right and I'm sure more than 1% of the kids toting instrument cases around are getting into Ivy League schools because of it. LOL your world is gonna crumble if your kids don't quite get into an Ivy League School but have to join mine, who barely get into UCLA or SD or something similar. Parents trying to draw a roadmap for their kids to Ivy League often fail, unless your name is on a building.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Right and I'm sure more than 1% of the kids toting instrument cases around are getting into Ivy League schools because of it. LOL your world is gonna crumble if your kids don't quite get into an Ivy League School but have to join mine, who barely get into UCLA or SD or something similar. Parents trying to draw a roadmap for their kids to Ivy League often fail, unless your name is on a building.
Forget Ivy Leagues, let's talk about ASU. Which kid has the better chance of getting a full ride? The kid playing the violin with better grades or the kid with worse grades who played football? Which kid do you think had more time to study? I'll let you figure that out

I agree that you can't guarantee your kid into the Ivy Leagues. The competition is too stiff. But usually those kids will settle for full rides and nice dorms in the Honors College at ASU.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:24 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,536,627 times
Quote:
Sports can do the same
No athletic scholarships in the Ivy League.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:24 PM

No idea, my kids are 6 and 2 and I already have college fully funded so I'm not banking on or expecting a scholarship. I also don't push academics quite as hard as you do apparently because I allow the 6 year old to practice and play games during the week. I have taken games away in the past when he gets in trouble at school for goofing off/talking too much. But my 6 year old was reading at 4 and is sharp as a tack so I'm not overly concerned right now about his college path. I went to ASU and I'm hoping he doesn't LOL even though my wife and I do very well, he's just too social for that atmosphere. I just know pushing academics too hard can lead to disaster, as I have seen examples including a distant family member that was straight A's throughout the process, gifted programs, etc, her mom trying to get her into Stanford then got addicted to Oxy's and that's the end of that. I'm trying to raise a human, not a future physician.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:25 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,536,627 times
Quote:
Right but if you have to choose to cut one, cut music. Easy choice.
Many more people make a living in music than sports.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Many more people make a living in music than sports.

The debate wasn't about creating a future career, it's what you get out of it. My opinion is sports is better as you learn teamwork, make friends, build self esteem, get physically fit, etc. Not worried about kids getting careers in either field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area