Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 06:33 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,211,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
No idea, my kids are 6 and 2 and I already have college fully funded so I'm not banking on or expecting a scholarship. I also don't push academics quite as hard as you do apparently because I allow the 6 year old to practice and play games during the week. I have taken games away in the past when he gets in trouble at school for goofing off/talking too much. But my 6 year old was reading at 4 and is sharp as a tack so I'm not overly concerned right now about his college path. I went to ASU and I'm hoping he doesn't LOL even though my wife and I do very well, he's just too social for that atmosphere. I just know pushing academics too hard can lead to disaster, as I have seen examples including a distant family member that was straight A's throughout the process, gifted programs, etc, her mom trying to get her into Stanford then got addicted to Oxy's and that's the end of that. I'm trying to raise a human, not a future physician.
I'm not looking to raise a future physician. I just want to provide my children with the most opportunity to succeed in any endeavor they choose. The reality is we live in a capitalistic society and there are a limited number of opportunities in any field. Whether you are talking about government or the entertainment industry, success in academics is a requirement. I would be doing my children a disservice if I didn't push them to give it their very best. I don't believe that someone's personality is an excuse for them not trying in academics. There are many socially well adjusted people who thrive academically. I think sports are great but not at the expense of doing poorly academically. The exception of course is if the person is truly a unique talent that can make a living playing that sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 06:38 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,222,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm not looking to raise a future physician. I just want to provide my children with the most opportunity to succeed in any endeavor they choose. The reality is we live in a capitalistic society and there are a limited number of opportunities in any field. Whether you are talking about government or the entertainment industry, success in academics is a requirement. I would be doing my children a disservice if I didn't push them to give it their very best. I don't believe that someone's personality is an excuse for them not trying in academics. There are many socially well adjusted people who thrive academically. I think sports are great but not at the expense of doing poorly academically. The exception of course is if the person is truly a unique talent that can make a living playing that sport.
That's what we all want but obviously we have different paths. You are a physician so of course you have your path and I am an entrepreneur with different experiences. Not really a right answer

Old 06-13-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
That's what we all want but obviously we have different paths. You are a physician so of course you have your path and I am an entrepreneur with different experiences. Not really a right answer
I don't think the paths are that different. Look at where most companies recruit from? To get the summer internship at the best companies, look at their GPA requirements? Look at the GPA and GMAT requirements at the top MBA schools. Which graduates get funding from venture capital? I would prefer if my children were entrepreneurs like you. And in my experience, most successful business people did well academically.

Besides, even if your children are inheriting your company, don't you want them to be well educated so that they can run your company effectively and perhaps even expand upon it?

Old 06-13-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

Besides, even if your children are inheriting your company, don't you want them to be well educated so that they can run your company effectively and perhaps even expand upon it?
Sure I do, I expect my children to go to good colleges. My position is that this can be accomplished while they play sports through their childhood as well. I don't think playing sports takes enough time away from study time to preclude someone from getting straight A's. Twitter and cell phones are kids main study downfall nowadays lol.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Sure I do, I expect my children to go to good colleges. My position is that this can be accomplished while they play sports through their childhood as well. I don't think playing sports takes enough time away from study time to preclude someone from getting straight A's. Twitter and cell phones are kids main study downfall nowadays lol.
I'm a proponent of sports in general, but there is a difference between high school varsity football and pee wee football. All 4 of my children played sports growing up. I agree that it can teach team building, physical fitness and social skills. But this thread pertained to education and high school sports in particular. I think too much attention is paid toward high school athletics. I don't think music and other activities should be sacrificed to provide additional funding toward sports. I don't think varsity sports is for everyone. Unfortunately, it is sold that way. Students are brainwashed into thinking that if they are not involved with some type of varsity sport that they will be lesser individuals. I played varsity football. In retrospect, I think I would have been better off having that time to study and do other things. I was not a starter, however, I still practiced for 3 hours after school every day. I still rode the bus for hours to games. I still attended 2 a days in August and "voluntary" workouts in the Spring. Sure, I enjoyed the camaraderie and the social element that came with it. I would get home at 7 PM. By the time I showered and had dinner, it was 8 PM. That was not enough time to properly study for a full load of AP classes. The students who played instruments or participated in activities like 'debate' were home at 4-5 PM. They were not physically exhausted when they arrived home like us. I think I would have been better served using that time to study more or play an instrument. I just don't agree that football or varsity sports is more important than music or other extracurricular activities. I think this is one reason why you see a disproportionate number of top students play instruments and do other EC's because it provides them with enough time to study. And in this highly competitive world, academics should take precedence IMHO.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-13-2014 at 09:37 PM..

Old 06-14-2014, 12:39 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,571,930 times
Quote:
Football is a money maker for high schools so that would make things worse. Better off cutting the "sports" nobody cares about like volleyball and softball, etc. Not that they should cut any sport.
Money maker for schools? Not west of Las Cruces (well maybe long beach poly and de la salle's of California). I say las Cruces because the games average 10,000 fans with the rivalry game pushing 25000-30000.

High School Sports News Articles - MaxPreps - Las Cruces, Mayfield meet in dream matchup

Old 06-14-2014, 05:58 PM

424 posts, read 949,578 times
Quote:
Sports can do the same
Dream on.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbguy View Post
Dream on.
No one dreaming on this end bro, college is fully funded. continue your fantasy of a $200,000 scholarship through horrible trumpet music

Old 06-16-2014, 05:27 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,192,912 times
After the first few posts, this thread has nothing to do with Gilbert schools specifically. Take the general dsicussion to the general forum if you like, but this thread needs to get back on the Gilbert situation.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:07 AM

9,673 posts, read 11,030,809 times
The Gilbert school district likes to touts how low their per pupil spending is. "The District had lower total spending per pupil ($6,362) than the averages of the comparable districts ($6,878), the State, ($7,382) and the nation ($8,702). (Business Services / Classroom Spending and Administrative Costs )

So how do they do it? By cutting 80 more teachers. Class sizes are going to go up and other educational opportunities are going to be removed. The teachers on the front lines understand what the implications are.

There needs to be a blend between not wasting $$'s and knowing when cutting too much hurts. The powers in charge in Arizona cannot grasp that concept and especially Gilbert.

I consider myself fiscally conservative so I understand you cannot have an open checkbook. But I would never brag about how little I spend on my kids education. Call me nuts but I value sports and band equally. I've spent upwards of $7000 a year for my kids hockey (camps, hotels, ice time, equipment etc). I've spent $4500 on a french horn. Why the heck would I want to send my kids to Gilbert schools when they think spending less and cutting another 8o teachers make sense? There would be no way in H_ell I'd send my kids to that district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area