Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 09:49 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,474,825 times

Advertisements

It all goes back to the ultraconservative politicians in this state who are responible for all these cutbacks.

Whenever cuts need to be made to the budget, education is usually the first to go on the chopping block, meaning the children, teachers, and parents are the ones who suffer.

The old trickle-down effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 10:10 PM

640 posts, read 948,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
It all goes back to the ultraconservative politicians in this state who are responible for all these cutbacks.

Whenever cuts need to be made to the budget, education is usually the first to go on the chopping block, meaning the children, teachers, and parents are the ones who suffer.

The old trickle-down effect.
Actually it was the voters in the Gilbert Schools boundary that voted down the funding override, so it was the parents and their neighbors that decided to make cuts to the budget.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:19 AM

9,661 posts, read 11,015,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
Actually it was the voters in the Gilbert Schools boundary that voted down the funding override, so it was the parents and their neighbors that decided to make cuts to the budget.
Great point. By voting down the referendum, the voters wanted their $50-$100 back per year in property taxes even if they degraded the quality of education. As a bonus, they have helped destroy their districts reputation. In turn, their reputation will erode their home values/appreciation which will further reduce their property taxes. Now Gilbert residence can save even MORE property tax dollars because their house is worth thousands of dollars less than it should have been.

Maybe I'm different. My (white) kid is in China right now learning Mandarin Chinese (he is a Chinese minor). To me at least, it is worth the investment. I sent my daughter to Poland to study biology over the summer. We always looked for summer educational opportunities. Many times, our MN district had funds for educational opportunities. We always tried to find them summer learning programs. Other state and city cultures like AZ and Gilbert want to spend the very least.

Frugal yes (I say the more the better). But irrationally cheap, no. People seem to confuse the two concepts.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 06-17-2014 at 06:41 AM..

Old 06-17-2014, 07:11 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,201,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
The Gilbert school district likes to touts how low their per pupil spending is. "The District had lower total spending per pupil ($6,362) than the averages of the comparable districts ($6,878), the State, ($7,382) and the nation ($8,702). (Business Services / Classroom Spending and Administrative Costs )

So how do they do it? By cutting 80 more teachers. Class sizes are going to go up and other educational opportunities are going to be removed. The teachers on the front lines understand what the implications are.

There needs to be a blend between not wasting $$'s and knowing when cutting too much hurts. The powers in charge in Arizona cannot grasp that concept and especially Gilbert.

I consider myself fiscally conservative so I understand you cannot have an open checkbook. But I would never brag about how little I spend on my kids education. Call me nuts but I value sports and band equally. I've spent upwards of $7000 a year for my kids hockey (camps, hotels, ice time, equipment etc). I've spent $4500 on a french horn. Why the heck would I want to send my kids to Gilbert schools when they think spending less and cutting another 8o teachers make sense? There would be no way in H_ell I'd send my kids to that district.
You get what you pay for. Look at the east coast schools. They are awesome but they pay higher taxes. People in Arizona want it both ways. They don't want to pay taxes but then they want the best schools. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. More spending on education means more teachers, more computers, more teachers aides, more resources, more free meals for underprivileged children.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:03 PM

4,052 posts, read 5,058,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You get what you pay for. Look at the east coast schools. They are awesome but they pay higher taxes. People in Arizona want it both ways. They don't want to pay taxes but then they want the best schools. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. More spending on education means more teachers, more computers, more teachers aides, more resources, more free meals for underprivileged children.
Cutting that swath pretty broad there...there are plenty of under-performing schools and districts on the east coast and if you cared to notice...Chandler residents approved our override. What sucks about that is we have open borders and someone from Gilbert can send their kids to Chandler schools and not have to pay the override. Ah well...the price we pay so that Hamilton and Basha High can have great football programs.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:42 PM

639 posts, read 963,815 times
What people continue to forget to realize is that their home worth is affected by the school district they reside in. Good schools = higher home values. Gilbert voting down the override this year will have a lot greater cost to residents than the tax would have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area