Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 03:43 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,552,914 times

Advertisements

Everyone whose bashing LA over air quality probably hasn't been here since the 1980s. L.A.'s air is so much cleaner now thanks to new emissions standards in California. The only area around LA with any smog issue is usually the foothills around San Bernardino. On the contrast, I have been in Phoenix when there is heavy smog to the point where you can't even see Camelback.

I'm not going to judge Phoenix's air quality, though, because I understand that it's a growing city and it hasn't caught up to the reality that more people equals more emissions, which equals more smog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 05:20 PM

268 posts, read 431,010 times
Yes the pollution in Phoenix is out of control. With the state's ultra-conservative legislature, I don't see clean air laws coming though. Air quality and water sustainibility are going to become bigger issues as this city moves forward.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:22 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,285,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaFriday View Post
Yes the pollution in Phoenix is out of control. With the state's ultra-conservative legislature, I don't see clean air laws coming though. Air quality and water sustainibility are going to become bigger issues as this city moves forward.

Water sustainability is actually a bigger problem in Southern California though.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Water sustainability is actually a bigger problem in Southern California though.
Not really, lately. We've got water from Lake Mead (which we share with Arizona). We've also got water stored in the reservoirs that surround L.A. which originates in Northern California or the Eastern Sierra.

You might be thinking of Las Vegas, which is locked in a battle with ranchers in Northern Nevada over water use?

Old 07-02-2014, 05:39 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,478,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Not really, lately. We've got water from Lake Mead (which we share with Arizona). We've also got water stored in the reservoirs that surround L.A. which originates in Northern California or the Eastern Sierra.

You might be thinking of Las Vegas, which is locked in a battle with ranchers in Northern Nevada over water use?
hmmmm....

In dry California, water fetching record prices

Old 07-02-2014, 06:10 PM

344 posts, read 813,598 times
Interesting that everyone seems to think that the LA Mediterranean climate is so much better than the desert weather here.

As far as I'm concerned, speaking for those who came here in large part though not entirely for the climate, who are NOT blaise about the weather here unlike the vast majority here who are, I can say that other than the current summer heat from about 11 am - 6 pm daily, all the rest of the year the weather is better here than Cali. The winter weather in California is not nearly as good, both because of the cold temps and high chill factor due to high humidity coupled with storms off the ocean there, most of which burn off before they get to Phoenix. Other than the abovementioned heat issue listed above, the weather is better most of the year-far less clouds and rain, and clearer skies. And the dryness here is fabulous-LA doesn't have that.

Unfortunately, it's usually though not always the transplants here who appreciate the weather, as opposed to the long-time residents here who never go outside and are oblivious to it, never getting to the back yard let alone walking or riding a bike. Incidentally, Mike Orr of the Cromford Report agrees with me, and moved here from California in part because of the superior weather here in comparison with Cali. Another foreigner who grew up with bad weather, who appreciates the great weather here and throughout the SW.

LA would be better for someone, often but not always younger, who wants to experience the big city, which comes at costs as the traffic there is horrendous, as are the rents.

BTW I lived in NYC for a long time and would take the summers here over those in NYC. NYC like LA, is filled with young 'uns who are willing to put up with low qualities of life, cramped accomodations and horrible commutes in order to live the big city life, which makes sense at the time. Only to move on to more pleasant environs in middle age.

Last edited by sunluv; 07-02-2014 at 06:42 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 06:40 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,182,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post

Thsi is not a LA vs. Phoenix vs. Vegas thing but a general Southwest reality. As more people live here it will put strains on water everywhere. I think we need a next gen Hoover Dam project to resolve it for generations again. Technologies are available like desalination etc. We can do it best together for all regions here.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:45 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,182,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunluv View Post
Interesting that everyone seems to think that the LA Mediterranean climate is so much better than the desert weather here.

BTW I lived in NYC for a long time and would take the summers here over those in NYC. NYC like LA, is filled with young 'uns who are willing to put up with low qualities of life, cramped accomodations and horrible commutes in order to live the big city life, which makes sense at the time. Only to move on to more pleasant environs in middle age.
I agree 100% to NYC. This is where my wife lived when I met her. While we were long-distance dating between Germany and New York I visited the city several times during any season. The summers there were really killing me. Oh the humidity!

Old 07-03-2014, 11:13 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,103,232 times
I'll give my few cents on the two cities as I currently live in Houston but lived in LA, spent time in Phoenix and recently vacationed in both cities;

I wanted to visit Phoenix as Im considering Arizona as a relocation spot & also around this time of year since I knew it'd be hot.

I had a good time in Phoenix but it's definitely hot. Even coming from Houston with 90's temps and humidity, it's pretty brutal. We did some hiking in south mountain and caught a great sunset. The outdoor activities is a big plus but I just don't see myself living there anymore. We went to a dbacks game (baseball fan) and just wasn't into it. Rude McGee sat right next to us and said "these are my seats, scoot over" while waving his hands to motion us over. Sorry for accidentally sitting in one of your seats lol. Some had flags they'd wave which I've never seen before at a baseball game. I just wasn't feeling the vibe. Even elsewhere I didn't feel the friendliness as I imagined. The city itself doesn't feel progressive enough to live there.

Los Angeles was awesome as usual. You really can't compare phx and LA. Weather is cooler, even more inland. Progressive city, more things to do all around. I just love the vibe, beaches, outdoor attractions, etc.

So after my vacation it made me think how I'd love to be back in LA but with the cost of living, it's unrealistic at the time. Before the trip I considered phx since it's close by and has many attractions too. Instead, id rather stay in Tx and live in the texas hill country (SA-Austin) as they're both on the same level as phx and move to LA if/when the opportunity/timing comes.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:23 AM

I once heard the term "Golden triangle" used to describe the Southwest U.S.

The Golden Triangle is unique in that it is the area with the fastest growing population of elderly, middle aged and young people. It goes roughly from the LA-SD-Palm Springs Area over to Phoenix/Tucson and back up to Las Vegas/Henderson. The Golden Triangle is an area that is interconnected in a triad of geography, population and economics.

It's part of the Sun Belt, but is distinct from other Sun Belt places like Texas, New Mexico and Florida.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area