Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 06:39 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information about the neighborhood in which this development is located?

I came across this really cute condo for sale and the price is just too good to be true. So what's wrong with it I wonder.

http://armls1202.vstone.com/armlsimages/mls/4_4290059.jpg (broken link)

$79,000 for a 2 bed/2 bath loacted on 21st Place in Phoenix

Then I found another cute one (located on 21st Terrace) for $88k with a great kitchen...so is this a mirage? What am I missing? Has anyone on C-D bought in this community or know someone who has?

http://armls1202.vstone.com/armlsimages/mls/4_4288794.jpg (broken link)http://armls1202.vstone.com/armlsimages/mls/4_4288794_2.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 07:19 PM

310 posts, read 1,160,128 times
not exactly in the best neighborhood.....

Old 11-22-2009, 07:20 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,299 times
Looks nice, but 24th St & Southern is getting into a "gray area".

I wouldnt personally ever live in that neighborhood for any price, but Im sure others will chime in that its great. For the most part, south phoenix as a whole is probably the worst part in terms of crime etc.

The reason for the low price is the area. Even in the best of markets, it would be hard to sell something in that area to any local that knows better.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the input...hope more will chime in about the area.

I have been mulling over a move to the Phoenix area but I am finding that the condos/townhouses with lots of charm and great features are at least in the high 200s and greater (mostly greater). And don't want to have to sell my LA property to be able to buy.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:33 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,274,804 times
Terrible area. I would not live there if it were free.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Terrible area. I would not live there if it were free.
Thanks for the feedback.

Why would they put such cute condos with great feautures in such a lousy area?

Is the area going through gentrification? Or is it just plain the slums?

Old 11-22-2009, 08:39 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Why would they put such cute condos with great feautures in such a lousy area?

Is the area going through gentrification? Or is it just plain the slums?
They do this alot out here, and Im guessing that they can turn a nice profit buying cheap undesirable land, marketing it to unknowing buyers as "close to downtown/airport" loading it with upgrades... and even at a price that appears to be a steal they still stand to make a tidy gain.

Its probably not unique to Phoenix. Im sure you could come up with a couple areas in LA that look rosy on the surface, but as a local, you know better... and this is that same situation here.

I really dont live near there, or ever have reason to go down there so couldnt really attest to gentrification or whatever, but for the most part, I am exposed to it via unsavory local news stories, and just a local stereotype that South Phx is pretty awful.

For the same money, it would be a better bet to get something older in a more established area, In this case, Im fairly sure they are hypnotizing you with the all the upgrades and newness to overpower the location.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:36 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,340,457 times
Although I cant add anything specific to help the OP out since I dont know the area at all, I do hope that whoever ends up buying these does keep them nice as they look now. The only way to get an area to change for the better is for some folks to take that first step....hopefully these places are examples of this change!

Old 11-22-2009, 10:26 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Does anyone have any information about the neighborhood in which this development is located?

I came across this really cute condo for sale and the price is just too good to be true. So what's wrong with it I wonder.
Bottom line, Calipoppy . . . location! . . . location! . . . location!

Old 11-23-2009, 10:54 AM

189 posts, read 230,683 times
To the OP: I am proud owner of a single-story home here in Copper Leaf. Yes, 24th St/Southern is not the best area!! However, I have been living here for more than 3 months now in my new home and do not regret my decision a bit. HOA does a really great job maintaining the community and obviously keeps property prices up. I have not seen any crimes in the time I have been here in my community. In my initial research, Laveen actually recorded more property/violent crimes in the period I searched.

The community itself is made up of professionals and middle-income residents. Community is really a gem in a not-so-great area. However, I love it and no problems. Only advice I can offer is to check out the community for yourself and make your own decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area