Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:56 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

Seems that many people bring up the difference in property tax and sales tax from one city to another. I am only familiar with Ventura County California Tax situation. There the taxes are based on the county that you live in. Sales tax is county wide and not city by city. I have heard in other threads post's about the tax situation. Do the cities charge different rates of tax? What is the sales tax for the area? Also in California food is not taxed. Is that the case in Arizona?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 03:03 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Basically, there is state tax and then cities add their own. There are a couple other special taxes added on to the sales taxes like jails and handouts to the wealthy for things like stadiums and light rail and also for freeways. Most places come up to about 8.25 % give or take. The state does not tax food, but most of the cities do - Phoenix being an important exception.

Property taxes vary from city to city. The biggest part of property taxes though is school taxes and these are highest in areas where new schools are being built because of growing populations (like Surprise) because much of the school cost is funded by bonds. Bonds are exempt from tax increase limits and have gone sky high along with the cash values of property. Property in Maricopa county is assessed every two years so there will be no relief soon in taxes due to declining values.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:02 PM

Thank you Ponderosa, We won't move into our home until sometime late next year, because the builder is still waiting for the building permit and has not started building. With the decrease in our home price do you think that the property taxes will reflect the price at the time we close? They recently decreased the value of the home and someone said they could end up doing it again before we close.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:59 AM

551 posts, read 2,725,361 times
Property taxes are based on the county appraisal value of your house -- which seldom is a match for the true value of your home (what you paid, or what you could sell it for). Usually, the appraisal value tends to be lower than the true value of your home. Given this, I doubt the county would actually lower the appraisal value, especially since their value tends to be 1-2 years behind.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
Property taxes are based on the county appraisal value of your house -- which seldom is a match for the true value of your home (what you paid, or what you could sell it for). Usually, the appraisal value tends to be lower than the true value of your home. Given this, I doubt the county would actually lower the appraisal value, especially since their value tends to be 1-2 years behind.
That leads to another question then. If the appraisal value is lower for the home, then how does the financing of the home work? For example if a home is appraised at $155,000 and the cost to buy the home is $175,000 then does the buyer need to make up the difference in the price? I want to make sure that our loan, (we are prequalified, for when the home finally closes.) pays for the balance that my down payment doesn't pay. This is our first go around with buying a home of our own. I realize that these questions are better suited for the lender. At the same time I like this format so much that I am offering my questions to all of you.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:56 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
That leads to another question then. If the appraisal value is lower for the home, then how does the financing of the home work? For example if a home is appraised at $155,000 and the cost to buy the home is $175,000 then does the buyer need to make up the difference in the price? I want to make sure that our loan, (we are prequalified, for when the home finally closes.) pays for the balance that my down payment doesn't pay. This is our first go around with buying a home of our own. I realize that these questions are better suited for the lender. At the same time I like this format so much that I am offering my questions to all of you.
The county appraised value is only for taxes and will not affect the loan at all. The lender will do an appraisal (this has been a big issue with the sub-prime deal in that lenders were accused of deliberately over-valuing). The mortgaged amount plus the down payment must be less than the appraisal or the lender may balk. I wouldn't worry about the appraisal. With a new home builder it is all "taken care of" - wink, wink.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:15 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The lender wants to be sure they're covered for the loan. A low appraisal could mean that you'd need to put down additional cash in these scenarios:
1) You have gotten an 80/20 loan (20% down, financing 80%). So let's say you're paying $200,000 for the house, and putting $40,000 down (20%) and financing $160,000. If the appraisal comes in at say $180,000, the lender will probably be okay with that because their $160,000 investment is covered. However, now 80% of the house value is $144,000, so to avoid PMI you'd have to come up with an additional $16,000.
2) You're financing 95% and putting 5% down. In the same $180k appraisal vs $200k selling price - now the lender will not do the loan unless you come up with another 5% ($10,000) so that the financed amount is at least equal to the appraised value.

Most contracts allow for a buyer to cancel the contract if the home does not appraise for the purchase price (or for a price acceptable to the lender).

Old 12-19-2007, 11:18 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
oic - this is a new home. The appraisal wouldn't have been an issue in the past, but with the tightening of mortgages, lenders can't get loans "pushed through" like they used to. Plus - would you really want to pay more for a house than what it's worth, especially in this market????

Old 12-19-2007, 01:39 PM

Thanks everyone. The home started at just over $200,000. We are putting down $25,000. Now the builder lowered the home price $30,000 and we are still putting down $25,000. I am hoping that they will lower the price a couple more times before we close next year on the deal. Just didn't know how this appraisal business worked, or the tax business.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:33 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Trust me. Your actually going to be happy when you tax bill comes. You will see a big difference from California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area