Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 12:40 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,492,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I think the moderators are fine with politics that are relevant to the specific place.
I would agree. Unfortunately, politics like religion, when mentioned at all, often turns into a nasty emotional brawl very quickly on a forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
For instance, I can't remember the last time I saw anyone here discussing a recent issue concerning a mayor. And I meant politics in the broadest sense, which would include things like local health-care regulations, environmental/recycling issues, transit, etc.
I think the reality is the vast majority of people in this country don't care are and are disconnected. And that's not just a Phoenix thing, it's a nationwide thing. And I will politely stop right there. Fade the spotlight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 12:42 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,338,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
8am??? I see some people are really out of touch.

Lots of us are up at 4:30am so we can be on our way to work by 5:30am. I bet there are a ton of people who would love to have the flexibility to hang out until 8am so they can go for a run. I had to get my exercise in at between 8 - 9pm when I got home from work.
{mod cut-- rude, personal] If you and others are working from 4 am to 8 PM, then what is the point of complaining about failing to be able to participate in outdoor activities during the day since your job prevents you from doing that? It's not really impacting you so why bother complaining about the heat? You can't have it both ways. You can't complain about the heat since you are never in it because you work from from 4:30 am to 8 PM?

Let's apply a little common sense. The overwhelming majority of residents don't get up at 4:30 every morning. This is statistically supported by published average work hours in the Valley. And even if they are getting up at that time, I'm quite certain it's not every morning. And some things are inferred. I was referring to the weekends or when people have availability. People complain that it is too hot outside period to do any type of physical activity in the summer. The mornings and evenings still enable people to still do outdoor activities in the summer.

Last edited by observer53; 08-09-2014 at 02:38 PM..

Old 08-09-2014, 12:57 PM

268 posts, read 431,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's a double standard. If these same people did that in another forum, they would get an earful and they would understand. In the Phoenix forum, they feel like they got assaulted if someone responds to their post and defends their city.

There is an inferiority complex that is often perpetuated by its own residents.
Where are these forums you speak of? The backlash in most of them seems to be much more civilized than here.

And frankly, it's not so much what you say but how you say it. [discuss the topic, not the poster]

Last edited by observer53; 08-09-2014 at 02:39 PM..

Old 08-09-2014, 01:16 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,338,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaFriday View Post
Where are these forums you speak of? The backlash in most of them seems to be much more civilized than here.

And frankly, it's not so much what you say but how you say it.
[orphaned] I don't live in Phoenix right now. I live in south Florida. I don't like this area. There are many things that I disagree with about this place. However, you don't see me camped out on the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale forums posting weak criticisms and trying to passively aggressively criticize those cities to vent my frustrations. I could do what you do. I could hang out there all day and post under the guise of "just wanting to share a different perspective" of the city, but I don't do that because I genuinely respect and care for my fellow south Floridians even though I don't like the area. I recognize that while I may not like that area, to many of those residents, it is their home. That would be like me stepping into their home and telling them how awful it is. Professionals don't do that. If I say anything negative about that area, I will say it here so that I don't offend those residents and the people who genuinely want information about moving there. I'm also mature enough to recognize that if I attack someone's home, I'm going to receive backlash. And their backlash would be justified particularly if I posted in the manner and intent with which you post. It's pretty evident that your purpose is to criticize the Valley and only criticize the Valley. You have nothing positive to say about Phoenix and you simply enjoy venting. And when someone responds to your posts, you attack them for failing to be professional.

So if you want to be treated with professionalism and respect, then demonstrate some professionalism and respect. Don't camp here to vent about a city because you are unhappy here. No one respects that. It's one thing to post a few opinions and leave. It's another thing to reside here to only say negative things. And you aren't fooling anyone. You are not here to serve the greater good. You are not here to "provide an opposing opinion" You are here to take your frustrations out on a city that you are unhappy with. And if you think we are blind to that, you are sadly mistaken. And if you did that in the NY, L.A., Dallas, Houston or other forums, you would be met with much more resistance than you are receiving here, particularly if you resided on those forums daily posting negative comments. You would get the reputation of being someone who is just trying to troll their city and those residents wouldn't take to kindly to that.

Last edited by observer53; 08-09-2014 at 02:40 PM..

Old 08-09-2014, 02:10 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,255,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
If you and others are working from 4 am to 8 PM, then what is the point of complaining about failing to be able to participate in outdoor activities during the day since your job prevents you from doing that? It's not really impacting you so why bother complaining about the heat? You can't have it both ways. You can't complain about the heat since you are never in it because you work from from 4:30 am to 8 PM every single day remember?

Let's apply a little common sense. The overwhelming majority of residents don't get up at 4:30 every morning. This is statistically supported by published average work hours in the Valley. And even if they are getting up at that time, I'm quite certain it's not every morning. And some things are inferred. I was referring to the weekends or when people have availability. People complain that it is too hot outside period to do any type of physical activity in the summer. The mornings and evenings still enable people to still do outdoor activities in the summer.
Who complained about not being able to participate in outdoor activities in the post you quoted or my quote of your post? You quoted a post about the Phoenix heat weeding out the slackers. I wasn't saying anything about not being able to participate in outdoor activities. I was making the point that there are not a lot of people that get to hang out and go for a run at 8am. Most people are at work or on their way to work at that time. I'd bet people have more time at 5 or 6pm to run then they do at 8am. It is much hotter at 5pm then it is at 8am.

I also doubt that many of those who complain about the heat are complaining about it solely because it interferes with their running schedule. I think the majority of complaints are a bit deeper than that.

Last edited by observer53; 08-09-2014 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: conformed quoted post

Old 08-09-2014, 02:43 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,514,224 times
Okay, everyone, dial it back a little bit. Leave out the personal comments, (including the little snarky ones), discuss the topic, not one another. You all know the rules.

And, let's leave the weather discussion in the other thread. Every thread about Phoenix doesn't have to come around to the weather, even in the summer.

Last edited by observer53; 08-09-2014 at 04:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area