Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 06:34 PM

296 posts, read 364,493 times

Advertisements

I've really concerned just how negative people get in this section of the forums. From my perception there is too much doom and gloom talk and over exaggeration of the perceived negatives of the area. I'm not declaring that Phoenix isn't without its negatives, but it isn't nearly as bad as it is painted to be sometimes.

For one, people have different preferences. While no one would list crime as a positive, there are other things that one person will view as being negative that another will view a lot more favorably. Different places are suited better for different people. Just because an individual doesn't like a place doesn't mean it wouldn't be a great place for someone else. Phoenix isn't for everyone, but no place is. We all need to find our best fit.

I hesitated posting this, because I'm afraid I'll get attacked for bringing it up. But honestly, there is so much negativity here sometimes I don't even want to come here anymore. I want to be here to help others that are relocating to the area and gather information. As much as I do want to help and be a productive member here, I'm not sure it is worth it if reading posts here is so depressing.

I really hope some people aren't as miserable here as they seem to be. If they are I really hope they find a place better suited to them individually to live!

Am I the only one concerned by this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 06:48 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
I agree, much is exaggerated around here and while the majority is negative there have been some positive exaggerations also.

As you said, everyone perceives things differently so it is possible that their perception seems like exaggeration to me and someone else might think my view of something is an exaggeration. I try and avoid extreme views on most things in my life so I tend to take the good with the bad and it all seems to not be so bad.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:11 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Take everything with a grain of salt. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:21 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,835 times
Phoenix on City Data, no city is more hated.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:45 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenW View Post
I've really concerned just how negative people get in this section of the forums. From my perception there is too much doom and gloom talk and over exaggeration of the perceived negatives of the area. I'm not declaring that Phoenix isn't without its negatives, but it isn't nearly as bad as it is painted to be sometimes.

For one, people have different preferences. While no one would list crime as a positive, there are other things that one person will view as being negative that another will view a lot more favorably. Different places are suited better for different people. Just because an individual doesn't like a place doesn't mean it wouldn't be a great place for someone else. Phoenix isn't for everyone, but no place is. We all need to find our best fit.

I hesitated posting this, because I'm afraid I'll get attacked for bringing it up. But honestly, there is so much negativity here sometimes I don't even want to come here anymore. I want to be here to help others that are relocating to the area and gather information. As much as I do want to help and be a productive member here, I'm not sure it is worth it if reading posts here is so depressing.

I really hope some people aren't as miserable here as they seem to be. If they are I really hope they find a place better suited to them individually to live!

I'm not concerned about it. It's just 'forum life'. You get a broad mix of individuals and you just accept that some will be negative and some will be positive. I take most of it with a big grain of salt. Exaggerations abound sometimes, yes, but if you KNOW that's what it is, and you don't agree, you can scroll right on past it.

I can't imagine you being attacked for bringing this up but I have a hunch most will just tell you to ignore it or, like most of us, take it with that 'grain of salt'. I agree...if people are that miserable in AZ they should go someplace where they won't be. No place is perfect but I think most of us can find a place that's more agreeable for us than not.

So, I just wouldn't worry about it or take it seriously, if I were you. I won't let negativity keep me away from a place that I enjoy coming to and reading posts from everyone...good and bad. No biggie.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:18 PM

397 posts, read 659,895 times
Quote:
I've really concerned just how negative people get in this section of the forums.
+1, thats just the internet for you though, very diverse mix of great folks, outspoken folks, timid folks, know-it-alls, opinionated folks, grumpy folks, good folks, bad folks and your occasional a-hole.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:32 PM

640 posts, read 957,632 times
Quote:

It's the heat, it puts everyone in a foul mood. Just notice your fellow drivers on the road next time you are out. The crazies are everywhere. In November you will see the mood shift to the other end of the spectrum.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:43 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
It's the heat, it puts everyone in a foul mood. Just notice your fellow drivers on the road next time you are out. The crazies are everywhere. In November you will see the mood shift to the other end of the spectrum.
Yeah, Phoenix does not have a lot going for it anymore except the weather. When the weather goes south, people get negative.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:49 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:

In your life and your home in the area it may not be so bad but in other's life and home it may be as bad as they state on the forum.

Everywhere has positive and negative and everyone's idea of positive and negative are at different levels because everyone is an individual with their own ideas in regards to level of positive and negative.
There is nothing that can change this because everyone who posts on the forum is as individual as the next human.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:17 PM

640 posts, read 957,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
In your life and your home in the area it may not be so bad but in other's life and home it may be as bad as they state on the forum.

Everywhere has positive and negative and everyone's idea of positive and negative are at different levels because everyone is an individual with their own ideas in regards to level of positive and negative.
There is nothing that can change this because everyone who posts on the forum is as individual as the next human.
Did you happen to write those Jack Handy sketches on Saturday Night Live? I couldn't help but think "Deep Thoughts" when reading your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area