Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 04:21 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,725,147 times

Advertisements

At least, I haven't heard of one. The summer APS bills are so infuriating. I imagine someone could make a killing with some easy-to-install home a/c unit. God know we have enough sun to power it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 07:09 PM

397 posts, read 661,087 times
They have, it's called a swamp cooler ;-) Might not be solar powered by it doesn't need to be as its cheap to run, just add water.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:11 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,956,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
At least, I haven't heard of one. The summer APS bills are so infuriating. I imagine someone could make a killing with some easy-to-install home a/c unit. God know we have enough sun to power it.
So what happens at night? Or on a cloudy day? Maybe some sort of hybrid system? Would probably be too expensive and not worth it, might as well go full solar on your house.

And the sun we have here isn't actually all that great for solar because of the heat. Solar likes light from the sun, but not the heat. Ideally you want a cold sunny day for the best solar production.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:57 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,086,674 times
An excellent question. I have some ideas and I may take it on as a project in retirement, assuming no companies have an offering at that time.

One problem with full-on residential solar is all of the extra electronics needed, which add a lot to the cost of the system and generally do not last as long as the panels. One saves a lot on $$ and complexity if you can use DC power, just need a simple regulator.

hikernut

Old 08-01-2014, 05:53 PM

268 posts, read 431,324 times
Check out this company http://monarch-power.com

I don't think they're doing AC, but the founder, an ASU professor, is doing cool things with making solar more accessible and affordable.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:49 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,709,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Thank the lack of leadership from city, state, and federal. It's funny, we rather destroy nature by putting up giant solar farms but refuse to put them up on the thousands of empty rooftops. Then there are the thousands of empty parking lots... It's the same reason internet is still as expensive as it is. It's the same reason for many.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:35 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,459,822 times
All it took was about 15 seconds, searching on Goggle, for find that Lennox makes a number of solar powered home central air conditioner systems.

link.Solar HVAC Solutions and Success Stories | Lennox Industries

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:15 AM

397 posts, read 661,087 times
The OP said "cheap", I don't think what you linked to meets that criteria:

The Lennox unit runs between $9,000 and $15,000 and is eligible for a federal tax credit of $500, Truly said.

The solar panels, which are 3 feet by 6 feet, cost between $4,000 and $30,000 before the 30 percent tax credit, depending on how many panels the homeowner wants to install.

Read more here: New air-conditioning unit gives homeowners chance to go solar | Mom2MomDFW.com

Old 08-02-2014, 12:18 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,086,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
All it took was about 15 seconds, searching on Goggle, for find that Lennox makes a number of solar powered home central air conditioner systems.

link.Solar HVAC Solutions and Success Stories | Lennox Industries

Jim B. In Toronto.
Yes, these have been around for a few years. I've followed some discussion on HVAC forums, and guys who claim to be former Lennox sales reps say they don't make sense from an economic point of view. One fellow said it would only be a good buy where electricity cost is over 50 cents per kWh.

Not sure what the OP considers "cheap". To me it means something that's cheaper in the long run than a conventional system.

Hikernut

Old 08-09-2014, 12:11 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,725,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
So what happens at night? Or on a cloudy day? Maybe some sort of hybrid system? Would probably be too expensive and not worth it, might as well go full solar on your house.

And the sun we have here isn't actually all that great for solar because of the heat. Solar likes light from the sun, but not the heat. Ideally you want a cold sunny day for the best solar production.
I can't claim to be at all knowledgeable about solar power, but from what little I've gleaned, my impression is that systems store power, so that you don't need the sun 24 hours a day. It takes power from the sun, but then ideally stores enough to run the system through a couple of sunless days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: