Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:28 PM

4 posts, read 21,473 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody,
First of all I am really thankful of your valuable comments and time you guys invest.
This happened an hour ago. I was in dog park and a dog owner entered with a large rottweiler.My dog is a German Shepherd + Basingi, very playful and timid weighing 40-45 lbs. She suddenly started barking which she rarely does and I understood that something serious happened. I inspected her body right away and found a 1 cm long skin-off deep puncture wound on her left mid belly. To handle it easy, I asked the dog owner if he is willing to take the responsibility which he arrogantly refused to saying that it is a dog park. He also refused to SHOW any identification on him. Not feeling comfortable trusting his told address, I decided to follow him to his home with his consent. In the meantime one of my friend arrived in the dog park whom I requested to take care of my dog. After a descent distance of unnecessary walking, I decided to go back and take care of my dog coz she was weeping in pain when I was leaving her. So I took the address and the phone number he told. Later my friend called me and told that this person came back to collect his car from the dog park and was trying to bluff with me. I called police and they gave me an option of taking this matter to civil court which I want to. Thanks for your time reading this till here. Now here are my questions,
How should I handle this matter?
My primary goal is to teach that guy his lesson for being so irresponsible and inconsiderate?
Are there any laws dealing with this issue?
I can take care of my dog's medical expenses but I want to drag this guy to the court and make him realize of his actions. Please help. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 09:35 PM

382 posts, read 1,356,020 times
This should help:

All About Arizona Dog Bite Law

Old 12-27-2008, 10:02 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
In AZ a dog is considered a deadly weapon. My late dog got attacked by a 150 lb dog and I had the owner charged crimianlly (only because he was such an arrogant jerk about the whole thing). The next week or so the dog was off leash again and I called the police to see what I could do and they said that if he got charged a second time he would be felon. They advised me to get a gun and shoot his dog if it came running at my dog again but I wasn't going to do that.

That was in 2004 but I assume the laws are the same.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:12 AM

16 posts, read 46,253 times
Let me preface this by saying there is no place for aggressive, dangerous dogs at a dog park.

I also understand that you're upset that your dog got hurt and your angry that the owner lied to you. I also didn't witness the incident so I can't make a judgment as to circumstances.

But take a step back and take a deep breath and at least consider the following: Is this really worth your time, the courts time, the police's time, or is this just a frivolous lawsuit you're initiating because you're angry and want to teach the guy a lesson? Dog owners have very few rights and very few places where dogs are welcome. Every complaint is another excuse to take away the few rights and places we have.

Dogs at a dog park play. Sometimes they play a bit rough and come home with a nick, scratch or bruise. If the dog attacked your dog, then by all means sue the guy. But if it was an accident or part of the natural interactions between dogs, then you might reconsider.

As to the owner trying to trick you, sounds like a jerk, but put yourself in his shoes. As soon as you start asking for personal information and ID, you're announcing "I'm going to sue you". Imagine if you were involved in an incident where you were clearly not at fault yet someone was asking for your personal information with the clear intention of suing you. Would you cheerily hand over all your information to make it as easy as possible? I'm not saying he has no fault here, I didn't see what happened, but just asking you to consider a different point of view.

Given what you've described, it's likely that owner and dog will never return to the dog park for fear of running into the person who's going to sue him. This rottweiler has probably lost his/her only opportunity to run off the leash and play with other dogs. Do you feel this is a just outcome for the circumstances?

Old 12-28-2008, 05:11 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
More than likely it would end up your word against the other party's word. The cost would not be worth the trouble.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:59 AM

39 posts, read 245,580 times
Dogs are wild. They are not humans. They will bite each other. 1 cm gash and we are checking into the laws? Going to bring the guy to court to pay for it??? Come on people lets just grow a pair and move on......Its not worth the stress or trouble.

The problem with the world today is we are sue happy. We look at everything to sue. What does that get? A little pocket money? Does it make u feel better? Sucks to be the dude with the other dog, talk about bending over and grabbing the ankles.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:20 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Be glad your dog didn't get seriously injured. If that was the case, I would consider all of my options carefully perhaps, but if your dog is basically okay, be happy for that. The owner sounds like a bafoon, but these people are all over. Most likely it will heal by itself or require a few sutures and some antibiotic ointment.
"Teaching this guy a lesson" may cause you more stress and aggravation than him.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:35 AM

710 posts, read 3,392,377 times
Just let it heal on its own or have the vet put a stitch in it.... it's a dog park; it's not as if his loose dog ran out of his yard and bit your child.

An hour ago and you're researching law suits. Egads. What a society.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:59 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Drop the stupid charges, fix your dog, let it go. People are so pathetic and sue-happy these days. Get lives, people!

Old 12-28-2008, 11:58 AM

25 posts, read 75,193 times
Sorry about our dog getting bitten, but it reminds me of the old joke: What has four legs and one arm? ..........A Rottweiler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area