Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 08:55 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,596,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Ah, I have Cox Preferred, which used to be 25Mbps but is now 50Mbps...$57.99/month.
Same it was 25Mbps and they just decided to double it. I game and stream a lot. 25 mbps was very fast to do so as it was. Now it is stupid fast and I'm happy. When I had Centurylink I paid for 20 MBPS and that was plenty speed for me but it had a lot of issues d/c'ing. When I had a tech out he was like "Yeah the neighborhood box has some issues" THAN LEFT without fixing .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Google Fiber is hiring in the Phoenix area currently. I doubt they would be hiring here if it wasn't coming relatively soon.
DO you know what that entails? We're talking replacing all infrastructure city (COUNTY? ) Wide. 1 gb internet is coming someday but I couldn't foresee it being in the near future. Unless cox can push it through coax.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:09 PM

397 posts, read 660,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
DO you know what that entails? We're talking replacing all infrastructure city (COUNTY? ) Wide. 1 gb internet is coming someday but I couldn't foresee it being in the near future. Unless cox can push it through coax.
It's typically fiber for the main runs and switches to copper for the last mile. You already have copper running to your house so its a lot less work (and cheaper) for them to just add fiber for the main runs and not worry about replacing any of the wiring in neighborhoods. The advantage of fiber compared to copper is there is less signal loss over distance and it is not subject to electrical interference.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:11 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,229,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
I see you don't understand what it entails.

It isn't "replacing" any infrastructure, it is being added on to existing infrastructure (poles, underground utility runs, etc.) as a new product. Nothing is being replaced with Google Fiber, the fiber Google runs will be for their product.

My point was that hiring in an area normally means the product is coming. I had no idea the advertised positions were not solid positions and were still waiting on Google to decide a city. I thought they had announced they were coming to Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tempe.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:15 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times
I got the email today that my speed has been doubled, and ever since I have noticed everything seems to be taking longer than usual to load, some things just "timing out". Nice.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I got the email today that my speed has been doubled, and ever since I have noticed everything seems to be taking longer than usual to load, some things just "timing out". Nice.
Reset your modem, might do the trick.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Elle I concur, Reset your modem.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:26 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times
Id rather switch to Centurylink

Old 08-04-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Why? Cost, service, speed?

Old 08-04-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I'd try a cox service call first. I had to cancel my century link after having connectivity issues during any and all peak hours. I can vouch that cable internet is a far superior technology than DSL, and century link is the worst dsl provider I have ever dealt with. I do prefer satellite tv though so the bundling thing don't work for me .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area