Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 06:15 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southphoenix View Post
As for your racist experience with the tires ... man, that's just the way it is! It's not cool but many Mexicans have historically had bad feelings toward black people. That's not going to change anytime soon.
Oh, c'mon now... Most car repair shops will take anybody for a ride (ha-ha, I can hear ArizonaBear's footsteps right now )! When they see a woman, it's like animals sniffing blood. They'll worry the h**l out of you, do a number of unnecessary things... It's just the way it is! I'm not saying it's right, but you don't see me posting they're misogynists...

Old 12-21-2007, 07:35 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Oh, c'mon now... Most car repair shops will take anybody for a ride (ha-ha, I can hear ArizonaBear's footsteps right now )! When they see a woman, it's like animals sniffing blood. They'll worry the h**l out of you, do a number of unnecessary things... It's just the way it is! I'm not saying it's right, but you don't see me posting they're misogynists...
I heard my name taken in vain.

All joking aside; I have a problem with crooked repair places as well-------suffice to say, the major chains leave a lot to be desired.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:45 PM

8,317 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I heard my name taken in vain.

All joking aside; I have a problem with crooked repair places as well-------suffice to say, the major chains leave a lot to be desired.
Perhaps Kudzu needs to update its filtering system where the person enters the type of service he/she is looking for, then location then they race/ethnicity so Kudzu can display more suitable matches! ...lol...

Truedawg, just by smiling, you may provoke a smile in return from another civilized American but it will take more to get a smile back from a suspicious, fearful illegal alien because they simply do not know or trust you...

I am not sympathizing nor defending them but as an immigrant who went through the colorful immigration process in this country and have observed a lot of stuff along the way, I can easily relate to where they are coming from.
I am sure the illegals have derogatory effect on the economy but then there are ton of others that are committed by big coporations (buying out long term employees pensions for pennies on the dollar to save themselves a bundle of money which the government okays instead of preventing, ie. GM and IBM did this!), US government taxing the F out of cigarettes (I quit smoking back in '97 when a pack did cost about $2 + sales tax, nowadays a pack still costs about $2 a pack + sales tax but there is about $4 government tax -300% tax!) and god knows what they are doing with it! And there are countless others like this that is used properly, this country and its people would actually realize there is enough $$ to go around for everyone!
But when there are so many corrupt corporations, government officials and other politicians, many of us think Jose and Juan is the real threat because they are taking our jobs away and not smiling at us while doing so!
Let's pull our heads out of our behinds and go have a margarita and few tacos and think it over!

TurcoLoco is out....peace!

Old 12-22-2007, 01:25 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I think this is a cultural issue. In business we learn that there are different kinds of cultures. We have our Western culture that most of us are used to. We are very fast pased. Let's get to the point.

Other cultures are a little different.

Western Culture: Fast pased get to the point. Example
You "I want a chicken, rice, bean, and cheese burrito with a large Pepsi please."
Them "That will be $5.95 please.

Latin culture: Slow pased. Lets become friends first. Example;
You "hello, how is your day going?"
them "My day is going great and your's?"
you "Oh I am having a great day,it is so nice to have a place like this near by my work. I really love how the place looks. Kind of reminds me of places back home."
Them " where are you from?"
you "I am from California."
Them "What brings you to Phoenix?"
you "I heard the food was even better here."
them "Would you like to try our food to see if it is better?"
you "That would be great if it is no trouble."
them "Oh it is no trouble, we have been waiting for you to stop in, we have many food choices that you may like."
you "I would like to try a chicken, rice, bean, and cheese burrito with a Pepsi if you could make that for me."
them "We will be happy to make that for you. It is so nice to serve you. That will be $5.95."
You "Thank you so much. You are so kind, and the price is very reasonable.

The rice culture is another one. This is based on nations in Asia. Everyone works together. People are very respecfull of others. They may even let you know that you are very good at how you use the chopsticks. At that point you would let them know that they are very kind, but you are still a beginner with the chopsticks. They will always build you up. It is up to you to graciously accept there compliment but to humbly disagree. You are always learning and trying to help your neighbor.

I kind of took poetic license on my post, but then I wrote it and can get my point across in the most fun way that I can think. The true point is that many latinos want to stike up a conversation first before they get down to business. First we are friends and then we do business.

Infact in the west, we do business and may become friends.

In the latino culture, we are friends and then we do business

In the rice culture, We want to listen to your points, find out about what you are proposing, discuss among themselves and then make an educated decision. And then we do business.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:15 AM

196 posts, read 1,037,819 times
This is an interesting thread. Me and my wife visited Arizona for the first time a couple of weeks ago. On one of those days we decided to climb camelback mountain. I believe that was in Scottsdale. I initiated every single "hello" to every person we passed on the way up and down. Of course they would return the "hello". A few times, just testing, I didn't say hello, and they would just walk on by without a word. Very strange I thought. Were from Illinois though.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:20 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhittak View Post
This is an interesting thread. Me and my wife visited Arizona for the first time a couple of weeks ago. On one of those days we decided to climb camelback mountain. I believe that was in Scottsdale. I initiated every single "hello" to every person we passed on the way up and down. Of course they would return the "hello". A few times, just testing, I didn't say hello, and they would just walk on by without a word. Very strange I thought. Were from Illinois though.
Maybe they were from Wisconsin.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:03 PM

7 posts, read 27,728 times
Sorry but I just read a post here that said "maybe you should learn some spanish".....excuse me! I did not cross a border into another country did I??? I work with a number of mexicans, and not all of them can speak english. But they don't act like that gives them the right to be rude. Most people who are here honestly, either know some english or are trying to learn. Why is it that in the USA there are billboards that I cannot read because they are in spanish?? Billboards from SRP about watching your kids around water completely in spanish! I could figure out what the billboard was about with our knowing spanish.....but doesn't does it seem backwards that an American has to figure out what a billboard says in America. We need to stop catering to this and force people that want to live here to be American.
We moved here from Goshen, IN. and the illegals there were the same way, if you held a door open for them, they acted as if you were suppose to!! Very rude and frustrating.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:28 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TodKat View Post
Sorry but I just read a post here that said "maybe you should learn some spanish".....excuse me! I did not cross a border into another country did I??? I work with a number of mexicans, and not all of them can speak english. But they don't act like that gives them the right to be rude. Most people who are here honestly, either know some english or are trying to learn. Why is it that in the USA there are billboards that I cannot read because they are in spanish?? Billboards from SRP about watching your kids around water completely in spanish! I could figure out what the billboard was about with our knowing spanish.....but doesn't does it seem backwards that an American has to figure out what a billboard says in America. We need to stop catering to this and force people that want to live here to be American.
We moved here from Goshen, IN. and the illegals there were the same way, if you held a door open for them, they acted as if you were suppose to!! Very rude and frustrating.

Yep that's what I tell my husband. His mom has been here since 1961 and does not speak English. He tells me I should learn Spanish. I do actually know a lot of Spanish but I can't hold a conversation. All of her kids married gringos that don't speak Spanish and neither do any of her Grandkids. It's beyond me how they never told her the importance of learning the language. Anyway that's my rant of the day.

On the other note I do have to say I have only been back in Phoenix for a few days and much to my surprise every place I have gone, I have been greeted by the friendliest people. What's happened since I've been gone
My husband says it Christmas that's why everyone is friendly lately.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:45 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Yep that's what I tell my husband. His mom has been here since 1961 and does not speak English. He tells me I should learn Spanish. I do actually know a lot of Spanish but I can't hold a conversation. All of her kids married gringos that don't speak Spanish and neither do any of her Grandkids. It's beyond me how they never told her the importance of learning the language. Anyway that's my rant of the day.

On the other note I do have to say I have only been back in Phoenix for a few days and much to my surprise every place I have gone, I have been greeted by the friendliest people. What's happened since I've been gone
My husband says it Christmas that's why everyone is friendly lately.
Her loss, not yours.

If I lived in Mexico I would make damn sure to learn the indigenous Spanish-----and, learn it properly.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:51 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Her loss, not yours.

If I lived in Mexico I would make damn sure to learn the indigenous Spanish-----and, learn it properly.

I would too, it's a shame she is a nice lady. she has expressed disappointment in not being able to communicate with her family. I blame her own children(my husband included) for not forcing her to learn. Both my Parents and Grandparents had to learn English and they did. My Grandparents spoke broken English but at least we could communicate. With her it's a few basic words and that's it no conversation. Oh well what can you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area