Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:33 AM

8,342 posts, read 13,488,012 times

Advertisements

Also look at this whole 'lack of desire to learn English' this way; what if all those border-hoppers were smart or talented enough to learn English quickly and really well, would they still be mowing your lawns or ...?

Old 12-23-2007, 06:48 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,173,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Also look at this whole 'lack of desire to learn English' this way; what if all those border-hoppers were smart or talented enough to learn English quickly and really well, would they still be mowing your lawns or ...?
.......they would turn into Gringos!

Old 12-23-2007, 10:14 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,239,383 times
Quote:
Good point!

Old 12-23-2007, 11:59 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,737,853 times
Quote:
Great point, Turco . . . but what about the claim they are coming here for a BETTER LIFE?

Old 12-23-2007, 03:01 PM

149 posts, read 455,040 times
I'm actually in Ann Arbor right now. Got my MBA from ASU with the plans on moving out there, but was dumb/greedy and find myself back here.

Anyway, I'm curious on the whole East Valley/West Valley dynamic. Everything I see for IT jobs out there seems to be in Glendale/Chandler/Goodyear. It doesn't seem like there's a lot (other than Petsmart & ASU) in Scottsdale/Tempe. Would you say that there are a lot of people that live in the east, but drive west or is this job situation possibly just an bizarre circumstance of my specialty and who has been hiring over the past six months.

Also, it seems that the positions (for IT) in Phoenix do not pay as well as Michigan. Is this correcting itself, or are there enough people moving out there that the labor supply keeps wages low?

finally, one of the things that I hate about Michigan, that looked like was moving the right direction out there before I left was mass transit. Is the light rail up yet? Have they announced any expansion plans yet? Will you be able to get from Tempe to the new Stadiums?

I know there's a ton in here. I just figured since OP is from my backyard maybe I'd toss them out.

Thanks.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:03 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,967,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Please don't! The in-laws relationship you're having is the best! You don't wanna get on each other's throats now, do ya.... Nothing's better than smiles and "getting along"... Me thinks it might be best to retire one day to a place where I don't even understand the language!
You have a point, we had a very nice visit this morning

Old 12-23-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I don't think they care either way, they just want to work and send the money back to Mexico.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:27 PM

8,342 posts, read 13,488,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I don't think they care either way, they just want to work and send the money back to Mexico.
I think it'd matter. If they were informed and educated a bit more, than they would be stealing away a lot more jobs, jobs that would really matter.
You were in Real Estate, right? What if your competition was bi-lingual and equally skilled? You think a RE professional who can only speak English would stand a chance against a Bi-lingual competitor?

Anyhow, I didn't want to stir the topic away but from all the other posts, I can tell this is gonna turn into yet another bitter duck soup with a little racism seasoning thrown in it...

Merry Xmas all and Happy New Year!

PS. To all those South of the border planning on jumping over tonite: dress like Santa Claus and run for it! Feliz Navidad!

Old 12-23-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I think it'd matter. If they were informed and educated a bit more, than they would be stealing away a lot more jobs, jobs that would really matter.
You were in Real Estate, right? What if your competition was bi-lingual and equally skilled? You think a RE professional who can only speak English would stand a chance against a Bi-lingual competitor?

Anyhow, I didn't want to stir the topic away but from all the other posts, I can tell this is gonna turn into yet another bitter duck soup with a little racism seasoning thrown in it...

Merry Xmas all and Happy New Year!

PS. To all those South of the border planning on jumping over tonite: dress like Santa Claus and run for it! Feliz Navidad!

Yes I was in Real Estate and no a bi-lingual did not steal my business, because my business partner and spouse was bi-lingual
I would actually embrace these people if they did come legally and learned the language.

Merry Christmas to you and yours Turco

Old 12-27-2007, 07:39 AM

837 posts, read 2,337,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguymike View Post
I'm actually in Ann Arbor right now. Got my MBA from ASU with the plans on moving out there, but was dumb/greedy and find myself back here.

Anyway, I'm curious on the whole East Valley/West Valley dynamic. Everything I see for IT jobs out there seems to be in Glendale/Chandler/Goodyear. It doesn't seem like there's a lot (other than Petsmart & ASU) in Scottsdale/Tempe. Would you say that there are a lot of people that live in the east, but drive west or is this job situation possibly just an bizarre circumstance of my specialty and who has been hiring over the past six months.

Also, it seems that the positions (for IT) in Phoenix do not pay as well as Michigan. Is this correcting itself, or are there enough people moving out there that the labor supply keeps wages low?

finally, one of the things that I hate about Michigan, that looked like was moving the right direction out there before I left was mass transit. Is the light rail up yet? Have they announced any expansion plans yet? Will you be able to get from Tempe to the new Stadiums?

I know there's a ton in here. I just figured since OP is from my backyard maybe I'd toss them out.

Thanks.

You know, I'm in the IT field also, (Data Networking/Telecommunications) and I get paid VERY well. While it is true that alot the IT jobs don't pay very well, but the majority of those are call center/help desk type jobs. For some reason there is ALOT of call centers down here (someone said it was due to the lack of Daylight Savings Time), and they all have very high turn-over ratios. It honestly just depends on where you look, and what you do I guess. I've found that most of these type jobs are in the East Valley, I haven't seen much out west. Would be nice to find a job near home and maybe then I wouldn't be contemplating moving closer to downtown.
I honestly don't see what that light-rail is going to do to ease congestion seeing that it doesn't go very far west, but then again that is the only congestion that I'm used to since I live in the west valley.
I get job postings emailed to me from both AZ and MI, and I can truly say that the job postings from AZ outnumber MI by 5 to 1 at the least. It's just too tough a job market back home. I will tell you this though, if I had the job I have now living in MI I'd move back simply because my family and friends are there. I don't have any family here, and few friends, but it has been helpful due the fact that I'm forced to be active, get out and socialize. It's funny being a grown man, exchanging numbers with another grown man simply to make new friends, but I have and I've met some cool and interesting people.
I wish you the best in whatever you decide!

-Now as for the unfriendly/illegal issue, I find it hard to believe that 80% of the Mexicans I come across are illegal immigrants, and if that's the case then we have a major epidemic on our hands. I'm aware of some of the black/brown issues that have been plaguing our society since the 60's but Like I said I'm a friendly person and I smile at everyone, often engaging in friendly chit-chat, and I won't stop doing so because of negative responses. People (in general) are often surprised when I speak to them, and open up quickly. As I said earlier my ex-wife and kids mom is Mexican, and her family has always been inviting, friendly, warm and loving towards me since the very first day I met them (back in MI mind you) so honestly I DON'T believe that Mexicans are like that towards blacks in general. I think it's indigenous to the S.W for some reason, due to the over whelming majority of Mexicans vs. the seemingly small population of blacks.
-I'm into classic cars, and lowriding (yes....yes.....I know), and have been doing so for a long long time. When I came here I joined the local chapter of a Nationwide Car Club which is made up of about 99% Mexicans (here in PHX) lol, and honestly it took awhile for most of them to warm up to me (pretty much a year), but when they saw my car, my dedication, and commitment was just as strong if not stronger than theirs then I think they loosened up. We are all indeed brothers united by a common bond that transcends all colors, ethnicity, and economic lines. I was fully aware that I was an outsider, and it would take time to prove myself, and I have. We all get along great, some are good friends of mine, while others are not, but the bottom line is we're all in the same boat no matter how you slice it. We're all Americans (or in America I should say), just trying to make a living for ourselves and feed our families. I'm not racist, never have been, but I call it like I see it, and to whomever suggested that it would be considered racist if in my original post Mexicans were substituted by Blacks, I don't agree. It would be your opinion and you're entitled to it. I would probably respond by saying that it just depends on what area you're in etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area