Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 08:00 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,283,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The appraiser should not know the amount of your loan.

Ask for all the repairs you want. They can simply say no. It's not like they can pull the plug on the deal.
99% of the time the appraiser will know the amount of the loan, because it is on page 1 of the purchase contract, which the appraiser will see. As far as the pool goes, if it is not filled you cannot determine whether the equipment is working or not. it should be filled before inspection and pump turned on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 08:09 PM

240 posts, read 348,474 times
The pool is filled, there are 2 spots in the tile that are cracked, the tile at the top rim of pool. He said it's the original plaster/tile for the 1970 pool (house was built in 1970, not sure when pool was put in but defiantly around that time) The tile he said was not causing damage yet, he said it needs fixed, either pulled out and replaced in those areas which would not match or caulked until we can redo it. The filter needs a valve because I would not know when to backwash, needs new seal because it was leaking, the one wire was not grounded. Those are pool issues.

The wiring is the GFCI outlets are not right, the one is in front a refridgerator so if water gets in it, it will turn off the fridge, the upstairs master is connected to the GFCI in the bathroom on the other side of wall and he tested it and it did not work, so those need fixed.

The attic door in garage on ceiling is not fire proof

The Breaker box needs two wires capped and a knock off put in

The garage door safety thing does not work so if the garage door is going down and something gets in the way, it won't stop

The door going from garage into house needs to have the self closing

There needs to be weather strips in 2 doors cause light is shining in.

Concrete has 2 cracks in drive way,

He didn't know if backyard water builds up because there is gravel so he said keep an eye on that if it rains hard that is on the side of house

Gas water heater needs collar at top of vent pipe

then a bunch of maintenace stuff like no stair rails going up or down, it's a tri level and some more minor things

Old 08-12-2014, 08:20 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,696,560 times
+1 - actually 100% of the time the appraiser will have the contract, unless its a loan from mom..

I'd go easy on requests for repairs from the seller - as long as they don't affect safety/habitability of the home. If you really are getting a "deal" on the property, there are other buyers.. a 40 year old home isnt going to be "perfect".

Old 08-12-2014, 08:22 PM

397 posts, read 660,329 times
Most of it sounds pretty minor, your pool plaster is past its typical life expectancy and you'll probably need to replaster at some point. Inspectors typically nit-pick on everything little thing so it makes it look like they are doing there job effectively. It costs nothing to ask and if its a motivated seller they might fix some things or knock the price down a bit.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:39 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,654,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
99% of the time the appraiser will know the amount of the loan, because it is on page 1 of the purchase contract, which the appraiser will see. As far as the pool goes, if it is not filled you cannot determine whether the equipment is working or not. it should be filled before inspection and pump turned on.
I forgot that they get the contract. There goes that thought.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:40 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,696,560 times
I'd also be careful with some of the inspector's recommendations from the list you posted -
The self-closing door to the garage thing, garage-door opener obstruction light beams & GFCI outlets weren't added to the building code until after this house was built..

If someone has added gfci outlets, they certainly should be working - but they could also be replaced with standard outlets and the house would meet the code requirements for the time in which it was built.

Just a fire-rated self-closing garage door is a $300 item by itself, without the labor/trim to install it.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:46 PM

240 posts, read 348,474 times
I wouldn't think I am getting a deal at the $300,000 I would say I am over paying a little or right on the dot with the comps.

I plan to ask for the stuff that is safety hazard and needs addressed, The garage door not stopping when something obstructs it scares me.

Do you think the pool will last a few more years before I can afford to replaster it? When you say replaster, I can pick Pebble Tec if I want correct? That would redo everything? I can't afford to do that right now because I am using my whole savings for the downpayment.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:49 PM

107 posts, read 157,427 times
Just remember that the realtor wants to sell houses so it's logical that he or she would tell you pretty much anything it takes to sell you one now isn't it?

Old 08-12-2014, 08:50 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,654,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catavenger View Post
Just remember that the realtor wants to sell houses so it's logical that he or she would tell you pretty much anything it takes to sell you one now isn't it?
Except that in this case, they're correct.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:56 PM

397 posts, read 660,329 times
Plaster typically lasts from 20-30 years, you're 40+ but if its in fairly good shape and there are no cracks or leaks you're probably fine for a while. Just one of things to be aware of and plan for down the road. Pebble Tec is one type of finish that is more durable and has a nicer look but it costs more than plaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area