Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 08:12 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,086,920 times

Advertisements

I live in El Paso. And it'shot! You guys have it worst. Do you guys stay inside with the A/C blasting? Or do you guys get use to it abd are able to stand outside for long periods of time? I been working outside for 6+ hours these couple of daya and holly molly!

Old 08-20-2014, 08:23 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,275,829 times
We don't hole-up in our houses all summer but we try not to "stand outside for long periods" if we can avoid it. We plan for it and it isn't so bad unless you have to work outside in the heat.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:55 PM

169 posts, read 283,080 times
I don't know how the early settlers survived in Arizona before a/c. I tend to spend most of the day inside during the summer but make the effort to go for a walk or cycle in the evening when it's cooler.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:26 AM

6,409 posts, read 9,039,563 times
I run the A/C when I am home and turn it off when I leave. If I am going to be outside for an extended period of time I wear a hat and make sure to drink plenty of water. That's about it. The heat does not prevent me from doing what I need and/or want to do.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:11 AM

8,313 posts, read 8,740,645 times
Unless you work outside its not that big a deal.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:22 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,642,347 times
I couldn't adjust, so I moved. But I know plenty of people that were well adjusted and enjoyed the summer heat. A few of my friends don't even use the AC in their cars, like the windows down. Honestly, more people there are a-ok with the heat than not.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:37 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,358,353 times
I will let you know when it finally gets hot here

Old 08-21-2014, 07:45 AM

7,258 posts, read 9,349,890 times
Make use of available shade. Drink plenty of water. Monitor your body for signs of dehydration.

In the beginning of summer take your time getting adjusted. Start out exposing yourself to the heat a little at a time. Seriously I have few problems with it. Ride my bike to and from work. Recreational ride on the weekends (late afternoons or evenings). Hike in the mornings sometimes. If you start to feeling too hot go somewhere and cool off.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:14 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,362,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I live in El Paso. And it'shot! You guys have it worst. Do you guys stay inside with the A/C blasting? Or do you guys get use to it abd are able to stand outside for long periods of time? I been working outside for 6+ hours these couple of daya and holly molly!
I could not stand it if I worked outside 6+ hours per day. But then again, I could not live in Miami, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Memphis, Nashville or other cities if I had to work 6+ hours outside per day in the summer.

Most of us avoid the heat. We leave for work in the morning and return in the evening. We avoid the worst periods of the heat. The mornings and evenings are quite pleasant in my opinion. And while it's not fun, it's the price to pay for perfect weather 8 months out of the year. I would rather pay my price in heat rather than cold. Either way, you have to pay something.

Heat involves a lot less work. Heat is a nuisance; Cold is a lifestyle disruptor. Heat doesn't shut down the freeways, cancel flights, cancel schools, cause accidents and traffic jams, cause me to dress my kids in layers of clothes every morning, cause me to shovel the drive way, cause me to start my car early by 10 minutes every morning. To me, it's just a lot of extra work for no reason. While the summers may be brutal, at least I can wear shorts, shirts, flip flops and get in my car and get to my destination without worrying about the weather impacting it. It's a lot stressful and a much easier lifestyle although it has it's unpleasant moments like getting into your car and the seats and steering wheel is hot. I've lived in both climates and the winter is just a pain in the a$$; you don't realize it until you live in a place that is warm all year round. That's why people rarely move back to a city with cold weather once they live in a warm place. It's just hard to go back to that lifestyle. It's not that they love heat, it's just that they want to avoid the cold. Yes, the heat sucks but it's a lot less work.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-21-2014 at 08:25 AM..

Old 08-21-2014, 09:05 AM

639 posts, read 977,719 times
I don't really mind the heat. My husband doesn't technically work outside, but he works with no a/c and only a swamp cooler, with doors open all day, so it hits 95 in there some days. He says it's worse when the humidity kicks in, the rest of the time even he doesn't mind it much.

It's honestly not that big of a deal. Even in the dead of the summer at 115, we'll spend the weekends in the pool (I realize we're in the minority on that). I wouldn't go marathon running in it, or hiking in it, but it's much easier to bare than freezing cold. Drink water continuously, use sunscreen, and it's not a huge issue. As others have said, the bitter cold is much, much worse to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area