Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 11:40 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,409 times

Advertisements

The kids are long gone and we have an unused pool eating up a significant portion of the yard. Has anyone experience with having their pool demolished and removed?

I epxect a building permit or some such thing would be required and that the cheapest method is to cave it in below grade and bury everything with fill dirt. Removal of all the concrete and the equipment from the site would be ideal but I expect more costly.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:46 PM

326 posts, read 1,371,529 times
Had 2 customers back in FL who did that. Both then had their property tax lowered. Cost one of them about 4K but that included new deck.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:37 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,788,797 times
I have no idea of the cost for hiring someone, but I imagine it won't be cheap. I know from personal experience it's a huge undertaking because I did that to my mother's pool about 15 years ago. We rented a jack-hammer and a skid steer loader and went to work. She had a large patio area which filled about half the pool. My wife and I just happened to be having a pool installed at the same time so I simply trucked our dirt to her pool. Three days of back-breaking work and a couple hundred dollars later we were done. Don't forget when the time comes to sell, you'll need to disclose that a pool is buried in your yard. It could reduce the resale value of the home if you don't have it all removed.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:43 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,592 times
don't own a pool, know nothing about pools and plan to never get one but why can't you just fill it with dirt?

Old 12-24-2007, 11:20 AM

124 posts, read 476,885 times
You need to get a demo permit from the city. There are also very specific things that need to be done in demolishing the pool, including removing a significant portion of the bottom of the pool so that your yard will drain correctly after it rains. You will also need to disclose that you have a buried pool in the back yard if ever you sell the house.

Removing a pool should cost around $10,000 to do correctly and that is about how much money it takes away from the value of your home as well. make sure you do your homework and make sure you hire someone to do it who knows what they are doing. Good luck!

Old 12-24-2007, 01:28 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
There was a company that used to advertise about every hour on TV "Park Your Pool". They drain it, put in a sump to take out any water that collects and cover the opening with a deck. I suppose the plaster would crack and have to be replaced if you wanted to ever put it back in service. The shell should be fine if properly reinforced when it was placed. Anyhow, a thought.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:39 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher521 View Post
The kids are long gone and we have an unused pool eating up a significant portion of the yard. Has anyone experience with having their pool demolished and removed?

I epxect a building permit or some such thing would be required and that the cheapest method is to cave it in below grade and bury everything with fill dirt. Removal of all the concrete and the equipment from the site would be ideal but I expect more costly.
Interesting question, Searcher

Due to the added value a pool usually affords a home, you may want to consider having a deck (Redwood or that "almost" Redwood) built on top of the pool. Constructed properly it would probably be much less expensive than removing the pool completely while still opening up your yard plus if and/or when you decide to sell . . . the pool is still available.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH!

Old 12-24-2007, 04:19 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Bummer, you are so smart, great idea...Merry Christmas...hopefully Santa will let me outta my room for the day.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:40 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Bummer, you are so smart, great idea...Merry Christmas...hopefully Santa will let me outta my room for the day.
LOL . . . just for ONE DAY!

Old 12-31-2007, 02:20 AM

80 posts, read 429,809 times
I had my pool filled this year for $6k. Many people quoted me over $10k. It took a while to find someone qualified and willing to do it for less. Look under Excavators in your yellow pages and online. Make sure they are licensed too. Most cities do not require a permit to fill a pool. However if you leave some of the pool in the ground. You will have to disclose it to future buyers of your home. Good luck. We are saving $200-300 a month since our pool is gone. Plus my time savings is even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area