Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 01:24 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,698,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdana View Post
Are there 1/2 billion a day using these words?
Where did you get that from? He said, 1/2 billing tweets per day.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:56 PM

397 posts, read 662,228 times
Personally I try and keep it as respectful and professional on twitter as possible as you are keeping a public record of yourself that could reflect back negatively to your current employer as well as any potential employers. Many employers these days are doing searches on public websites like twitter, blogs, instagram and facebook as part of the hiring process to get a good perspective on job candidates that doesn't show on a resume or in a job interview where you on your best behavior.

Not saying you can't have any fun using twitter and telling the world what you are doing but be careful as bad behavior can come back to bite you and google has a very long memory.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:14 PM

397 posts, read 662,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
I guess I just don't have the, uh, self-esteem required to think anyone cares what I am having for lunch (eggs poached medium & wheat toast, yum!) or whether I cried dropping my child off for her first day of high school (I did!), so I don't get the twitter thing. It does seem to be useful in getting information out quickly, and I will admit that if I get wind of something going down I'm the first one checking online sources including Facebook for the latest word.

I often feel really self-indulgent just sharing my opinion on C-D forums, but at least I can tell myself this is a conversation, not a pronouncement to be "retweeted" by my "followers." lol

Maybe I'm just afraid no one would follow me. My fragile psyche couldn't take it!
It's way more than just tweeting about what you ate which is most people's first impression. Almost all companies are on twitter today and its a great way to escalate support, ask questions, etc. It's also a great way to stay in touch what people you don't see that often. A have a big circle of professional acquitances that I only see once or twice a year at tech conferences and twitter allows me to stay in contact with them year round. There are many other cool uses for twitter and it has really evolved into a simple and powerful communication tool. Here's a funny comic on it:

Old 08-28-2014, 03:11 PM

39,126 posts, read 51,407,276 times
The map is interesting and not scientific as the poster points out. But it is pretty much the same map, although not to that level of detail, that anyone who has traveled and worked around the county would draw. People are most tolerant in the west and least tolerant in the southeast and midwest. Thems just the facts of it.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:21 PM

39,126 posts, read 51,407,276 times
Here's another one. AZ is at the very bottom of this one (a good bottom for once!). It's true people, despite the media image, AZ and it's capital are among the most tolerant, accepting places in the country.

floatingsheep: Mapping Racist Tweets in Response to President Obama's Re-election

Old 08-28-2014, 03:35 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,745,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Here's another one. AZ is at the very bottom of this one (a good bottom for once!). It's true people, despite the media image, AZ and it's capital are among the most tolerant, accepting places in the country.

floatingsheep: Mapping Racist Tweets in Response to President Obama's Re-election

I won't argue that AZ is tolerant (I believe a vast majority of people here are live and let live-leave me the hell alone types).

But I will argue that:

Any extrapolations based on tweets are complete and utter nonsense.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:58 PM

555 posts, read 865,147 times
whats with that little 'pocket of hate' in southern NM? haha...

Old 08-28-2014, 06:41 PM

300 posts, read 442,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Where did you get that from? He said, 1/2 billing tweets per day.
I'm just pointing out that even though 150,000 isn't a lot, how often are these words used, and actually used in a way meant to be hateful or offensive.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:46 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,577,296 times
Wow that's pretty shocking how quickly hate turns to indifference when you get west of the Interstate 35 corridor! I'm happy Houston is a little happy place between two blue/red blobs. I think Arizonans and Californians in general seem very live and let live people.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:00 PM

408 posts, read 583,303 times
the south is just dabbed in Red

...not surprising but it looks like the strip of the east coast along I-95 came out decent too...

GO AZ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area