Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 04:12 PM

612 posts, read 1,023,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
I'm not saying ignore, I'm saying they are very different circumstances and Pitt is a city of 300k and Phoenix is 1.5 million.
I think the days are gone when you can ignore the MSA and try to stay within the city limits. To pretend that Phoenix's economy, for example, operates independently of Mesa, Chandler, Scottsdale, etc., is folly. Similarly, Pittsburgh's 300K within the city limits has nothing whatsoever to do with the size and economics of the area since there are 2 million others in the near vicinity operating under the same economic umbrella.

Population growth is one factor that Pittsburgh hasn't had to deal with, sure, but population growth in a city is a good thing, not a bad thing. All of what Phoenix could learn from Pittsburgh would be helped rather than hindered by the population growth. And discounting these lessons due to a single differentiating factor seems like a bit much.

To keep the conversation moving forward, do you see a MSA that you think favorably compares to Phoenix, but has managed to turn itself around, and what lessons could we take from them? There are lots of large cities which have experienced large population growth - Atlanta springs immediately to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 04:17 PM

3,411 posts, read 4,651,418 times
Maybe Phoenix needs to mimic the neighboring states of Utah and Colorado on how to attract businesses, especially the high tech industry.

America's Top States For Business

Old 09-30-2014, 05:26 PM

612 posts, read 1,023,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Maybe Phoenix needs to mimic the neighboring states of Utah and Colorado on how to attract businesses, especially the high tech industry.

America's Top States For Business
That's an interesting list ... the first thing that stands out to me is how little the "cost of doing business" in a state has to do with being good for business (well, according to this chart anyhow). The top 5 cheapest places to do business rank 28th, 30th, 40th, 34th and 36th overall. Not a good showing.

Also, on that list, Arizona is the 13th best state for doing business. That's pretty good. Not great, but pretty good compared to the numbers that started this thread.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:43 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,736,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaAZ View Post
I think the days are gone when you can ignore the MSA and try to stay within the city limits. To pretend that Phoenix's economy, for example, operates independently of Mesa, Chandler, Scottsdale, etc., is folly. Similarly, Pittsburgh's 300K within the city limits has nothing whatsoever to do with the size and economics of the area since there are 2 million others in the near vicinity operating under the same economic umbrella.

Population growth is one factor that Pittsburgh hasn't had to deal with, sure, but population growth in a city is a good thing, not a bad thing. All of what Phoenix could learn from Pittsburgh would be helped rather than hindered by the population growth. And discounting these lessons due to a single differentiating factor seems like a bit much.

To keep the conversation moving forward, do you see a MSA that you think favorably compares to Phoenix, but has managed to turn itself around, and what lessons could we take from them? There are lots of large cities which have experienced large population growth - Atlanta springs immediately to mind.
Sure pop growth is good, IF you are attracting the type of people who are going to propel the economy forward.

Phoenix and Arizona are unique in the sense that we are new, have had massive population growth over the last 50-60 years and we are in the desert. There are definitely formats from other cities/states to copy like how to promote large scale public/private ventures. But, I would love for us to embrace the issues that are going to challenge us the most and turn those issues into engines of growth. Stuff like alternative energy, water and ultra energy efficient construction are just some general areas our schools, governments and businesses could be setting the standard.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:55 PM

13,354 posts, read 7,385,078 times
I think the issue is lots of low skilled workers were left in the Valley after home builders left. The only thing left for these people are low skilled jobs which are low paying. Also another thing is many private schools like ITT Tech bring people here to AZ while going to school they have no income or very low income I wonder if that affected the numbers. One thing I know is Information technology is very good in the valley lots of jobs if your skilled in that kind of work. I get offers all the time to leave my company but I'm happy where I'm at. We have so much work now in my field IT networking it's becoming tough to find people who are qualified.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:00 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,483,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
A future business does not care if you have a nutty politician. They don't care if you are red or blue, they are looking for green. Sweeten the pot and they will come.
Very true. Each state has its share of clownish politicians that make some of ours look downright tame. For those paying attention to city/state politics throughout the country over the years beyond AZ in what is said and done, it's easy to compile a long list of names.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:08 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,483,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
We have so much work now in my field IT networking it's becoming tough to find people who are qualified.
I've worked in many areas of the IT field for many years including networking and I agree 100% with you.

And this is true in many other states I've worked in beyond AZ. They are hurting for qualified people in IT. Big time. I've often worked with people from India and China in the field and it wasn't a save money thing....they were paid very well. It's a higher education thing. People lacking the skills from within. And no, you can't throw money at that as the simple answer. Or force people to go to college. Some either aren't cut out for it but most is a lack of desire/attitude to go into the tech fields it seems. Not cool for the future. I think China and India are going to eat us for lunch in the tech fields in the coming decades unless we can coax more of the educated to migrate to our country/into AZ.

Last edited by stevek64; 09-30-2014 at 08:42 PM..

Old 10-01-2014, 04:07 AM

13,354 posts, read 7,385,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I've worked in many areas of the IT field for many years including networking and I agree 100% with you.

And this is true in many other states I've worked in beyond AZ. They are hurting for qualified people in IT. Big time. I've often worked with people from India and China in the field and it wasn't a save money thing....they were paid very well. It's a higher education thing. People lacking the skills from within. And no, you can't throw money at that as the simple answer. Or force people to go to college. Some either aren't cut out for it but most is a lack of desire/attitude to go into the tech fields it seems. Not cool for the future. I think China and India are going to eat us for lunch in the tech fields in the coming decades unless we can coax more of the educated to migrate to our country/into AZ.

I only have a High School diploma I started out years ago 1990s with an A plus certification working on PC's. I migrated to getting my Cisco certifications CCNA/CCNP I have been doing Network Engineering for 5 years. My company sends me to training, and I make a good living. This year our company has approved 100 million $ in projects for 2015 just for my department and we only have 10 guys we are hiring 5 more these jobs pay from 88k-130k a year depending on experience. That is just the tip of the iceberg lot of jobs in programming too. We also hire India workers but it hasn't worked out as well in the past with remote workers. I think there is going to be so much work in the future in 3 areas of technology, Networking, Data centers, programming we won't be able to fill the jobs. The US needs to push educations in technology big time from first grade up.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:13 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,457,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Very true. Each state has its share of clownish politicians that make some of ours look downright tame.
One of the reasons I left IL.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:33 AM

107 posts, read 157,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I think the issue is lots of low skilled workers were left in the Valley after home builders left. The only thing left for these people are low skilled jobs which are low paying. Also another thing is many private schools like ITT Tech bring people here to AZ while going to school they have no income or very low income I wonder if that affected the numbers. One thing I know is Information technology is very good in the valley lots of jobs if your skilled in that kind of work. I get offers all the time to leave my company but I'm happy where I'm at. We have so much work now in my field IT networking it's becoming tough to find people who are qualified.

Good point, I also think that far to many people move here either legally or illegally without any clue what they will do for work. Once they get here they complain that it's the "fault." of someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area