Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 02:24 PM

397 posts, read 661,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf2737 View Post
Thanks everybody for the advice. Would Peoria be considered too far away to live? I noticed a nice apartment complex about 14 miles away from my potential job right off Happy Valley Parkway. Google maps says it would be about 20 minutes.
Happy Valley and what cross road, if it's in Peoria it would have to be west of 67th which is right near where I live. Shouldn't be too bad getting there, you can just take Happy Valley to I-17th and go south to the 101 or 67th S to 101 and east on 101, either way traffic isn't really too bad during rush hour. You could also easily take side roads such as Pinnancle Peak E to 35th and then S. I can see it taking 20 min or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 04:00 PM

163 posts, read 207,409 times
Welcome to AZ! I just moved out here from NY in May. I'm loving it!

Old 09-22-2014, 08:54 PM

44,661 posts, read 61,736,984 times
OP you might want to consider the Tramanto area at Carefree Hwy and I-17. Hop on the freeway I-17 south get off right at your destination, hop on the freeway I-17 north and home. 15 minutes easily each way. No stop and go hassles just a straight drive.
Anthem is just a few miles further north.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:51 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,739,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkbiz View Post
If you love it now you're really going to enjoy our winters!

Old 09-23-2014, 09:19 AM

572 posts, read 1,686,334 times
Awesome thread. Another NY'er here. (Do we need to start a meetup or something? LOL) We're moving out there in about 4 weeks. OP where did you find your temp housing from? We actually scored a nice AirBnB Rental near Christown Mall for the first month or so we are there then hopefully we'll find something close to where we are working.

From initial reports, it sounds like we're all getting out of NY before a nasty winter.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:30 AM

339 posts, read 934,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkbiz View Post
Thanks! It's definitely night and day between here and Long Island. The sunsets here are amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP you might want to consider the Tramanto area at Carefree Hwy and I-17. Hop on the freeway I-17 south get off right at your destination, hop on the freeway I-17 north and home. 15 minutes easily each way. No stop and go hassles just a straight drive.
Anthem is just a few miles further north.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm a little torn on whether to stay south of the 17 or venture north of the 17. I will look into apartments in the Tramanto area. Don't know a lot about that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones978 View Post
Awesome thread. Another NY'er here. (Do we need to start a meetup or something? LOL) We're moving out there in about 4 weeks. OP where did you find your temp housing from? We actually scored a nice AirBnB Rental near Christown Mall for the first month or so we are there then hopefully we'll find something close to where we are working.

From initial reports, it sounds like we're all getting out of NY before a nasty winter.
Thanks to suggestions from this forum, I checked out VRBO.com. Got a very nice place near the PV mall that would let me bring my cat. I wasn't thrilled with the extended stay hotel reviews in the area and regular hotels were too pricey. If you break it down, I'm paying roughly $44 per night to stay in a furnished one bedroom condo that's convenient to everything for my first 30 days here. Did my research and made sure the owner was really the owner. First time using VRBO but it's gone smooth so far. Tried to find something fairly central.

Definitely should try to get a meetup group going. Maybe call it "People sick of NY" lol. Yes I heard it was supposed to be a bad winter in NY also. Last winter sealed the deal for me to make the move. Good luck to you!

Old 09-23-2014, 12:02 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,709,653 times
Quote:
- AZ seems to have the most well dressed panhandlers I've ever seen.
The Biltmore area has some really ritzy ones. Downtown near the 10, there are some more traditional down-and-out types.

Quote:
- It's only been five days, but I've already met three people from NY, including a potential supervisor at a job I interviewed for.
There are quite a few New Yorkers out here (although not nearly as many as Florida).

Quote:
I did see a gentleman give someone a middle finger in a parking lot when another person took the parking space they were waiting for.
Like I said, there are quite a few New Yorkers out here.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:13 PM

163 posts, read 207,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
If you love it now you're really going to enjoy our winters!
You are correct!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area