Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:27 AM

20 posts, read 77,374 times

Advertisements

I’m building a new house, moving in the first week of June. Unfortunately, there was no option for backyard landscaping and I'm not exactly the gardening type.

Any suggestions? What type of grass to seed? (I'm allergic to Bermuda grass, yikes!)

Any low cost plant suppliers in the valley? The lot is not too big and we need to keep it as low cost of a project as possible. We'll also be getting a dog so leaving it has a big dirt yard is not really a possibility. I was thinking of doing the outside edge with bushes/rocks (xeriscape style) with grass in the middle, but I’m not sure if I can afford all of those plants either. I'm willing to put as much time into as needed, even growing from seed, but just don't have the money to hire a professional landscaper.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 12:21 PM

942 posts, read 2,501,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohjan View Post
I’m building a new house, moving in the first week of June. Unfortunately, there was no option for backyard landscaping and I'm not exactly the gardening type.

Any suggestions? What type of grass to seed? (I'm allergic to Bermuda grass, yikes!)

Any low cost plant suppliers in the valley? The lot is not too big and we need to keep it as low cost of a project as possible. We'll also be getting a dog so leaving it has a big dirt yard is not really a possibility. I was thinking of doing the outside edge with bushes/rocks (xeriscape style) with grass in the middle, but I’m not sure if I can afford all of those plants either. I'm willing to put as much time into as needed, even growing from seed, but just don't have the money to hire a professional landscaper.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

I had posed a similar question a few weeks ago and there were some excellent responses with great resources listed. We, too, are trying to landscape on a budget and I have found that Moon Nurseries' prices seem high compared to Lowes. We bought a couple of vines at Moon Nurseries and the total was $70 and then we saw the same thing at Lowes and the total would have been about $30.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:04 PM

919 posts, read 3,378,860 times
Avoid Moon. Where are you building? That would help in pointing you to certain resources.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:15 PM

30 posts, read 249,044 times
Where to begin? Stay away from Moon Vally, and Family tree nurseries. if you are near a Harpers nursery they are good. They grow their own plants so they are better acclimated to the area. Then there is always H/D and Lowes The irrigation system is more important than what you plant. Use rainbird xeribug emitters. Use Hunter sprinkler heads. Go to a irrigation supply house to get your irrigation parts. Most everything you see at H/D or Lowes is junk. Ewing irrigation, Horizion, Sprinkler World are all good places, hit them about 10-11 on a Sat its usually slow then they can help you out. Some general things about plants... If a plant looks too big for the container it is in, it is, don't buy it, it is rootbound and will be short lived. Plants in smaller containers establish faster and tend to be more healthy than the larger sizes. Plant a little high as the soil mixture will decompose over the next year or so and the plant will settle. The number one cause of tree death is planting too deep. just be sure to get your emitter right on the top of the rootball. Bermuda is about the only type of grass to grow here in the summer, different varities but its all Bermuda. Prep your area and call Evergreen turf to install the sod it will cost you about 50 cents per Sq ft. By the time you pay for the water to get seed established you wont save much and not having dogs tracking in mud for the month or so it will take has to have some monetary value.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:11 PM

683 posts, read 2,639,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohjan View Post
Common Bermuda can produce a lot of pollen, but there are a lot of hybrid bermuda grasses that should be okay for your yard. Here's a short article that might help you.

Allergy and grass pollen

To be fair here, a few types of lawns, such as ordinary common Bermuda grass lawns, can be large producers of allergenic pollen. However, common Bermuda produces much more pollen when it is stressed. When a Bermuda grass lawn is kept well fertilized, regularly mowed, and well watered, even it will produce little pollen.

By the way, there are many wonderful new kinds of Bermuda grass that don t ever produce any pollen. There are also types of other grasses that are separate-sexed, and with these the female lawns are also pollen-free.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:14 PM

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time reply! I was totally lost and really appreciate your insights. Thanks again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgardener View Post
Where to begin? Stay away from Moon Vally, and Family tree nurseries. if you are near a Harpers nursery they are good. They grow their own plants so they are better acclimated to the area. Then there is always H/D and Lowes The irrigation system is more important than what you plant. Use rainbird xeribug emitters. Use Hunter sprinkler heads. Go to a irrigation supply house to get your irrigation parts. Most everything you see at H/D or Lowes is junk. Ewing irrigation, Horizion, Sprinkler World are all good places, hit them about 10-11 on a Sat its usually slow then they can help you out. Some general things about plants... If a plant looks too big for the container it is in, it is, don't buy it, it is rootbound and will be short lived. Plants in smaller containers establish faster and tend to be more healthy than the larger sizes. Plant a little high as the soil mixture will decompose over the next year or so and the plant will settle. The number one cause of tree death is planting too deep. just be sure to get your emitter right on the top of the rootball. Bermuda is about the only type of grass to grow here in the summer, different varities but its all Bermuda. Prep your area and call Evergreen turf to install the sod it will cost you about 50 cents per Sq ft. By the time you pay for the water to get seed established you wont save much and not having dogs tracking in mud for the month or so it will take has to have some monetary value.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:16 PM

Laveen - between Southern and Baseline around 75th ave. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Avoid Moon. Where are you building? That would help in pointing you to certain resources.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:12 PM

97 posts, read 412,884 times
I piece mealed by backyard, although I went through Moon Valley for the trees and plants. I didn't have any problems with them at all. Since you are on a budget, Lowes would be much better (19th Ave and Baseline). The Home Depot at 51st and Baseline often has most of their plants in poor condition unless you get it when it first comes in off of the truck. I don't know why, but they do a horrible job at watering their plants.

Since you are moving to the Laveen area, there are quite a few growers around there that you could purchase plants from as well. Just head east along baseline, and you will see them. As far as grass, I would go with someone else's suggestion that you find a bermuda grass will low pollen.

If you are going to be putting down rocks, then I would go with A-1 Materials
9503 W Buckeye Tolleson 623-478-0966. Most of the landscapers go through them, and they are very cheap. They will dump the rocks in either your driveway or on the street, then you just need a couple of wheel barrels and time and energy. Plus, the have samples and all differet kinds of sizes and colors of rocks. If you go through Home Depot or Lowes they will charge you an arm and a leg.

If you are going to purchase curbing, I would just google AZ and curbing and do some price comparisons. It looks way better than the ones that you would individually lay down. They generally charge about $2.00 to $3.00 per linear foot. That may sound like a lot, but remember most people are only going to put in 800sq feet of grass, so that would make the perimeter a 40x20 (120 linear ft). Most curbing companies will come out and give you a free estimate.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by CheckM8; 01-07-2008 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: Clarify statement

Old 01-07-2008, 11:37 PM

919 posts, read 3,378,860 times
There's a great nursery in Tonopah worth a trip from just about anywhere.... Australian Outback Nursery. The plants are pretty much all drought tolerant and the ones I've put in actually seem to love direct sun and heat. It's probably best to have them on drip irrigation but they don't need as much watering as most (except for natives). They also grow fast, so you can buy small ones and they'll mature quickly. Pay attention to what size they'll get - I've got little shrubs that are now 6x6 ft.! They sell to many of the nurseries in town, but the prices at the Tonopah location are amazingly inexpensive.

See their site

Old 01-14-2008, 02:55 AM

683 posts, read 2,639,517 times
Here's a good website for do it yourself landscapers.

Complete Landscape Design for Do It Yourselfers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area