Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:32 PM

930 posts, read 2,425,900 times

Advertisements

Great post. It is a small loud minority who bash Phoenix. The vast majority of us are here because we love it. The sun shines like no place on earth and I will take that any day and every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 07:26 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,180,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
Great post. It is a small loud minority who bash Phoenix. The vast majority of us are here because we love it. The sun shines like no place on earth and I will take that any day and every day.
Too: the Phx area seems to have something for almost everyone when push comes to shove outside of true winters---------which are 2-3 hours away by car.

Example: the older enclaves built before 1970 do have more of a back east/Midwest appearance due to mature vegetation, sidewalks, etc. whereas the newer areas have their pluses as well.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:53 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,698,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Too: the Phx area seems to have something for almost everyone when push comes to shove outside of true winters---------which are 2-3 hours away by car.

Example: the older enclaves built before 1970 do have more of a back east/Midwest appearance due to mature vegetation, sidewalks, etc. whereas the newer areas have their pluses as well.
Well, it looks like I am finally beginning to realize why people like yourself left Wash. DC to come to a place like Phoenix. It is good to try something new. It is great to be able to sit outside in your back yard and have a drink or grill something in the later months of the year, something folks in many other states cannot do. I like your attitude in the first sentence. seems like you really enjoy being where you are.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:01 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,813,623 times
A North Carolina native here.....Phoenix is great.....Visited several times and loved it....Actually looking to relocate by end of 2010. I think you either love it or hate it. Coming from North Carolina, Phoenix is actually a welcome change. Phoenix is very 'scenic"/affordable/eclectic/....not exactly Charlotte, NC.... If anyone is familiar with Charlotte...then you know what I mean....

Old 11-06-2009, 02:56 PM

10 posts, read 22,205 times
Moderator cut: rude isn't it a little hard to be excited about the sun being out when it never goes away. all those sunny days just blend into one big blurry clump. right before i left hawaii i was drivin back from an awesome day in hana, in a jeep, top down, feeling some real aloha, then this storm just started and it drenched all of us. so what? we all got wet, so did the seats in the car. but now we all look back and laugh. we are all dry and warm now and so are the seats in the jeep, and we all have a memory that sticks out. thats what is fun, surprises and unpredictability. not when everything is always the same and it really is all same there from the weather to the people to the housing.

we will remember our rainy jeep day for the rest of our lives.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-06-2009 at 04:03 PM..

Old 11-06-2009, 03:33 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,667,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianhaole View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned quote isn't it a little hard to be excited about the sun being out when it never goes away. all those sunny days just blend into one big blurry clump. right before i left hawaii i was drivin back from an awesome day in hana, in a jeep, top down, feeling some real aloha, then this storm just started and it drenched all of us. so what? we all got wet, so did the seats in the car. but now we all look back and laugh. we are all dry and warm now and so are the seats in the jeep, and we all have a memory that sticks out. thats what is fun, surprises and unpredictability. not when everything is always the same and it really is all same there from the weather to the people to the housing.

we will remember our rainy jeep day for the rest of our lives.
BINGO! I couldn't feel any closer to this type of thing that what you describe. Wish I could give you 100 rep points!!

I feel compelled to address some of the points made in the original post such as "All East Coast cities have streets filled with vomit & soot", and thats a reason to LOVE Phoenix?? What if someone does see vomit on the streets? Is it time to move?? Moderator cut: rude
Funny story, is I have family from back east and they are OCD clean freaks that live in Anthem. We were leaving from a family get together. I saw a big wad of bird crap on the hood of my car and just looked at it and laughed, but my aunt, who is an "Anthemite" to the core saw the bird crap and exclaimed..."YOU DIDN'T GET THAT HERE!!" As if even the birds don't crap from the skies!! This is not an unusual mindset here and it really makes me laugh out loud every time I think about it.

I see no reason why you couldn't start up a new thread about what you DON'T like about Phoenix. All the other ones get closed because the "lovers" have to jump in and start arguments. Leave them alone over here and let them all spread the sunshine they want. Maybe they can pay us the same respect and stay out of our thread? We need a thread to vent our frustrations, just as much as they need a place to stand on their soapbox announcing their undying love.

They should stay out of the "what you DON'T like about Phoenix thread" and we should stay out of the what they LOVE about Phoenix thread. This way each thread only shares different opinions. Handling it this way won't lead to arguing that will never be resolved.

When someone is doing their independent research, they can read both thread and see the differing opinions and decide what they are more like, rather than them seeing a bunch of petty arguments from either side! After all neither side is really "right' per se, but you do need to gauge your own personality and decide based on real information if it has the type of thing you need to be happy. It doesn't help anyone trying to learn about Phoenix to only hear one side of the issue.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-06-2009 at 04:06 PM..

Old 11-06-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
A North Carolina native here.....Phoenix is great.....Visited several times and loved it....Actually looking to relocate by end of 2010. I think you either love it or hate it. Coming from North Carolina, Phoenix is actually a welcome change. Phoenix is very 'scenic"/affordable/eclectic/....not exactly Charlotte, NC.... If anyone is familiar with Charlotte...then you know what I mean....

Moderator cut: off topic
visiting here is different from living. what changes are you looking forward to when you get here? eclectic is not an adjective that sits right when describing phoenix. its very homogenous. affordable - yes , scenic - some parts. i dont find the east valley scenic but you can pay to live in other parts for scenery. affordability and scenery dont usually mix.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-06-2009 at 09:36 PM..

Old 11-06-2009, 09:03 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned quote and off topic
Lotsa people there drivin around in gas guzzling hummers capable of scaling the grand canyon but worry about scratchin the paint. i actually use my 4wd and dont sweat the cosmetics like phx people. somethin wrong with that? advice tho: dont leave your top down too long cause the sun will bleach and crack everything in no time. I think i remember gettin' third degree burns from touchin a seat belt too

hey its cool man dont sweat it glad you found a place where you and car interior are happy.

Last edited by hawaiianhaole; 11-06-2009 at 09:59 PM..

Old 11-06-2009, 09:13 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,030,958 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote my point is this thread isn't about what you like in Hawai'i or NC, but what the OP likes about Phoenix. So if you interject with what you like about somewhere that isn't relevant to the topic, then we can comment on what you write. I know what the OP means by the soot and vomit, its just a matter of age and other factors including density. Something NC and Phoenix don't really have an issue with and one which most places in the U.S. don't.

Quote:
Lotsa people there drivin around in gas guzzling hummers capable of scaling the grand canyon but worry about scratchin the paint. so i use my jeep and dont sweat the cosmetics like phx people. somethin wrong with that? advice tho: dont leave your top down too long cause the sun will bleach and crack everything in no time. I think i remember gettin' third degree burns from touchin a seat belt too
Phoenix has one of the largest population of outdoor enthusiast and off road drivers. A jeep is different from a Hummer, socio-economically so that comparison is ridiculous. Know plenty of people with historic cars, convertibles too; it is called armorall...I've never been third degree burned by something in my car, but then I know that sunshades actually prevent that...

Quote:
hey its cool man dont sweat it glad you found a place where you and car interior are happy.
Sure have, Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-06-2009 at 09:39 PM..

Old 11-06-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
BINGO! I couldn't feel any closer to this type of thing that what you describe. Wish I could give you 100 rep points!!

I feel compelled to address some of the points made in the original post such as "All East Coast cities have streets filled with vomit & soot", and thats a reason to LOVE Phoenix?? What if someone does see vomit on the streets? Is it time to move?? Moderator cut: rude
Funny story, is I have family from back east and they are OCD clean freaks that live in Anthem. We were leaving from a family get together. I saw a big wad of bird crap on the hood of my car and just looked at it and laughed, but my aunt, who is an "Anthemite" to the core saw the bird crap and exclaimed..."YOU DIDN'T GET THAT HERE!!" As if even the birds don't crap from the skies!! This is not an unusual mindset here and it really makes me laugh out loud every time I think about it.

I see no reason why you couldn't start up a new thread about what you DON'T like about Phoenix. All the other ones get closed because the "lovers" have to jump in and start arguments. Leave them alone over here and let them all spread the sunshine they want. Maybe they can pay us the same respect and stay out of our thread? We need a thread to vent our frustrations, just as much as they need a place to stand on their soapbox announcing their undying love.

They should stay out of the "what you DON'T like about Phoenix thread" and we should stay out of the what they LOVE about Phoenix thread. This way each thread only shares different opinions. Handling it this way won't lead to arguing that will never be resolved.

When someone is doing their independent research, they can read both thread and see the differing opinions and decide what they are more like, rather than them seeing a bunch of petty arguments from either side! After all neither side is really "right' per se, but you do need to gauge your own personality and decide based on real information if it has the type of thing you need to be happy. It doesn't help anyone trying to learn about Phoenix to only hear one side of the issue.
great suggestion, bro. im gonna do that. dont wanna argue just wanna meet similar people. if we do that can we say anyone that comes in our chat is off topic if they start arguments in there saying we need to like it? anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area