Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 07:48 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,764,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Wow OP is one of the rare New Yorkers that don't **** and moan and compare everything to NY. Very annoying. I'm from Miami and I agree with everything that was written. I love the West coast attitude vs the fake, always have something to prove east coast attitudes.

Phoenix is the best kept secret. I just hope it doesn't get too popular. I don't want too many east coast people coming over. ha ha
Do you think Phoenix is still a secret and not already too popular? Just curious, because I feel like as the 13th largest metro that ship has already sailed. But on a good note, we've managed to keep it a very easy place to live even as it approaches 5Million people. Despite all the complaining about our "lower density" way of growing, it's worked quite well. Since all 5Million people aren't driving to the exact same place at the exact same time every day, traffic is pretty tolerable. We have multiple urban centers, so not every person is trying to get to the same place for entertainment. I really appreciate these things about Phoenix now, having spent 5 years or so in a more traditional east coast city where EVERYTHING interesting and job related is in the exact same place, with antiquated public transit and freeways that look like they belong in a town, rather than a city.

Any ways, just my .02. Love everything about Phoenix and no other place I'd rather live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 10:15 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,637,275 times
Quote:
Wow OP is one of the rare New Yorkers that don't **** and moan and compare everything to NY. Very annoying. I'm from Miami and I agree with everything that was written. I love the West coast attitude vs the fake, always have something to prove east coast attitudes.

Phoenix is the best kept secret. I just hope it doesn't get too popular. I don't want too many east coast people coming over. ha ha
Too late! Cat's outta the bag!

All are welcome as long as they embrace Arizona ways, and are not coming here to change our way of life.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:59 AM

153 posts, read 221,149 times
I am in a BAD place today wanting to get out of NYC desperately. I came over to this forum ready to post and saw this. This MADE MY DAY. Everyone gripes about every city out there but I, too, saw many positives in Arizona..I've been there before and liked it..I'm ready to live somewhere for half the cost, triple the sun and just basic amenities..like PARKING you don't have to fight for..front and back yards..a GARAGE LOL..breathing space..parks without 100 kids running around in 100 sq feet of area haha..

Could care less about the "culture" and "diversity' of NYC..Lots of anti-American attitudes here and ungrateful immigrants who talk down about NYC and the USA and use it for what it's worth. I'll be glad to be the hell out of here. Thank you a MILLION times for this post. My spouse is a NYC-er..and I can't wait to show this to him.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:00 PM

299 posts, read 442,618 times
I LOVE this thread and the positivity, thank you.

I recently moved to Gilbert, AZ after college and have been feeling a bit down about living in the desert. I came from BEAUTIFUL Sonoma County California, but am trying my best to enjoy AZ as much as possible. On the plus side, cost of living here is amazing and I'm having no trouble finding jobs.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
I LOVE this thread and the positivity, thank you.

I recently moved to Gilbert, AZ after college and have been feeling a bit down about living in the desert. I came from BEAUTIFUL Sonoma County California, but am trying my best to enjoy AZ as much as possible. On the plus side, cost of living here is amazing and I'm having no trouble finding jobs.

Jobs were exactly what I was going to ask about.. NYC..jobs aren't so great..and even the ones available you cannot sustain yourself with on ONE income. What kind of jobs are you referring to? What's your field? Just curious.

I am from CA, too, btw.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
I came from BEAUTIFUL Sonoma County California, but am trying my best to enjoy AZ as much as possible. On the plus side, cost of living here is amazing and I'm having no trouble finding jobs.
Good for you, Quizzy! See?

Remember you thought you wouldn't be able to find much really positive about Arizona? Here's hoping you continue to enjoy your employment in the food service industry!

Old 11-28-2015, 02:13 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,996,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Good for you, Quizzy! See?

Remember you thought you wouldn't be able to find much really positive about Arizona? Here's hoping you continue to enjoy your employment in the food service industry!
I've found more luck in the illustrious big box department store industry myself...

Old 11-28-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I've found more luck in the illustrious big box department store industry myself...
Sounds like a plan!

Old 11-28-2015, 07:42 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,327,140 times
Quote:

True, but consider that the OP started this thread nearly 8 years ago, and hasn't posted anything in nearly that long. It's kind of funny how many different perspectives there are about Phoenix vs. east coast and west coast. Some would actually say that the west coast is fake and superficial ... I've heard that said about the Phoenix area as well (especially Scottsdale). It's all a matter of opinion. In any case, I wouldn't say Phoenix is some kind of secret considering we have over 4.5 million people living in the metro area, and many others who vacation here in the winter & spring for various reasons.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:

I feel the same way! So SICK to death of the NYC mentality..****ty ass city..and half the people move and are happy and the other half act like there's NOWHERE in the world possibly better to move and gripe about other cities. I look at these people like they're literally mental because I don't understand how you could actually believe that dealing with the NYPD, nonstop tickets/fines/fees, highest property taxes, crappy anti-American attitudes, filth, pollution, port-a-potty "beaches", roaches, rats, pigeons and horrid weather for triple the cost of what everyone else is paying to live alone is the BEST and only way. I think thats the WORST part of NYC altogether.

I don't think NYC owes me or anyone anything but the mentality here is like the worst i've seen in ANY city,s tate or country I've visited in my life. Miserable people overall..and then the transplants are even worse LOL

Something to prove about nothing..HALF the people over 30 still have to live with roomies, their parents or rent over half their homes to pay the rent/mortgage..oh yeah..NY is the "best" *eyeroll*

I absolutely LOVED this post and nodded my head up and down the entire time. It looks like Phoenix gets a green light from me. Can't wait to live there..Just gotta figure out jobs for husband because his niche is more specific
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area