Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:22 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,592,080 times

Advertisements

You might want to check Lumber Liquidators if you are wanting wood. Their sales can really save you a lot of money too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 08:44 PM

241 posts, read 386,609 times
by vinyl are you talking about Pergo type flooring or linoleum type flooring?

I wouldn't use pergo in a kitchen or bathroom. one dishwasher leak and you're screwed! I don't care what kind of waterproof membrane is used. I've seen this a million times. tile your kitchens/bathrooms/laundry areas. you can pergo or hardwood everything else.

I will say though, as a designer, with only 750 Ft2, I would stick to only two types of flooring max. Either tile and carpet (bedrooms) or tile the entire house. You e got a small space and too many floorings don't travel well with the eye. Just my .02

Old 01-02-2015, 08:50 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Don't know if you have something like Carpet Liquidators in your area, but I strongly recommend them.

Some place that offers the flooring for really cheap, then find an installer that will give you a fair hourly rate.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:35 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
I have engineered hardwood polyurethane water spill doesn't hurt it at all unless you have a flood. Hardwood is way better then vinyl.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:10 PM

428 posts, read 5,884,817 times
well that does sound high for that square footage, however I wish I was working with numbers that low overall. I just spent $35,000 on flooring for >4000 sq ft.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:59 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Default The contractor said that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Contractor said that it's waterproof unlike hardwood, and gives it a similar wood-like look. Also easier to lay it over gypcrete.

I figured it sounds pretty good except not at 10$/sq ft

Although if I can find a better price elsewhere I'd rather go with hardwood. I live in a condo, so it probably won't add much to resale value but I'm not planning on selling it any time soon.
Let's see. The hardwood in the parents home is now going on 80 years and has been fine sanded once.
Contractors that are real should love hardwood, but this guy wants to put down a slam in job. It's waterproof? No composite I've ever seen is, and in fact this plastic stuff not only sucks water, it needs to be laid down with proper adhesive, and doesn't like big dogs toenails. It sounds like this guy wants to scalp you once. I don't
think you're going to allow that, but he probably is able to do the used car salesmen thing on most walking through that door. If I was the retail store, I'd watch him a little closer.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:25 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,163,289 times
I used Arizona Discount Flooring - LOW Prices, Impeccable Quality, & Superior Customer Service .

From memory, I found a engineered wood for about $2.50 a square foot (it was some overstock product). I then paid their subcontractor $2.00 a square foot with glue (on slab). This was 2012 pricing. Labor surely went up. Materials too.

I went on to Craiglist and looked for people that advertise/sell discount overstock materials. They usually know people that they recommend to sub the job. I was happy tickled at $4.50 for a hand scribed engineer floor and it has held up extremely well. But I was smart enough to look for harder species. I chose hickory wood.

If someone is ordering something (a color, style, etc), you generally are going to pay more. That's because you have to pay the importer, the wholesaler, the freight from one place to the other and the nice showroom. They are not getting volume discounts. You need to find the guy who is the source.

I have found Lumber Liquidators to have o.k. but not great pricing. But remember I am a shopper. I went to 4-5 spots like I described above before I found the right flooring that looked great and had an aggressive price.

Anyone looking for carpet, consider Planet Recycling (sorry for the weird named pasted in URL). Roll-Off Dumpster Rental Carpet Recycling Flooring Showroom . They sell back massive amounts of recycled carpet to the mill. They get crushing prices back from these mills. No one can compete. Home Depot and Lowe's game is to nail you on the pad. As in hyperinflation. Even fair pricing on pad is 2X more than Planet Recycling. I give it my highest recommendation for carpet and pad. I used their subcontractor to do a small amount of ceramic and carpet. I would hire that installer again.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:46 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Phoenicians,

Got a quote from a contractor (a big flooring store) for installation of LVT (Coretec) in a 750 sq ft condo.

Total came up to 7500$, material, installation, tax and everything When I saw that number my jaw hit the now-carpeted floor, as I was hoping to spend much less even on a wood floor.

Would you say that's pretty realistic and I just need to adjust my expectations to 2015 prices?
Seems a little pricey to me, Flavia . . .

Although it has been about six plus years now, I opted for a "higher grade" laminate in my 1400 sq ft home (minus kitchen and bathrooms) and the price was about $3k installed.

Another point . . . I purposely chose laminate over the real hardwood primarily from past experience and, so far, I feel I made the best decision. The "purists" may disagree, however, I'm a little on the lazy side and the laminate is as tough as nails requiring minimum maintenance.

My suggestion . . . shop around but do not compromise in quality.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:47 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,716 times
Thanks everyone for replies! I am definitely going to shop around.

Stopped by Floor and Decor yesterday and selection there wasn't that great. Then checked out the Tile Shop in Tempe and they have a really impressive collection of tiles! We actually picked out a couple of colors and it looks real nice

I agree that it's better to stick with 1-2 types of flooring on such a small footage. At first I was thinking hardwood the whole way, but then decided to go with tile for kitchen, bathroom and laundry just to spare myself the headache in case there is a leak.

So now I just have to find a good contractor to put in the flooring for us.

Speaking of wood, I saw VERY nice planks for 3-5$/ft yesterday at the Floor and Decor, so it's already way, WAY cheaper that the CoreTek (that I got a quote for at 7K!) I mean, seriously, for 10$/ft that stuff must be nothing but pure magic, he he
Attached Thumbnails
00 for vinyl flooring on a 750 sq ft condo?-image1.jpg  

Old 01-03-2015, 11:09 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Hey, Flavia . . . possibly it Cleans and Polishes itself automatically?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area