Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 02:47 PM

389 posts, read 595,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Even Scottsdale's mall, the name of which I forget, is long gone to seed. Arrowhead is next.
Fashion Square? Or are you referring to Paradise Valley Mall nearby in Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 03:46 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,175,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
Either way those two seem to do fine.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:48 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
No, it was Los Arcos @ Scottsdale and McDowell.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:25 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,499,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
There is a Walmart opening in the Metrocenter later this year (or maybe early 2016) so that should give the mall a much-needed boost. Back when the mall opened in 1973, the area was considered the suburbs. Incredible to hear that nowadays.
I thought Metrocenter was still fairly suburban.

I wasn't here in 1973 but my guess is it must have been out in the boonies then.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:29 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,499,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
The Walmart in Cave Creek is really nice, and the view from the parking lot of the mountains is beautiful!
New Walmarts are usually nice but then they turn trashy rather fast.

They usually don't attract a very nice crowd.

You say this like it is a new idea

That Walmart is just in a very picturesque setting, making it stand out from other WalMart stores.

Last edited by ElleTea; 01-13-2015 at 08:49 AM..

Old 04-11-2015, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,297 times
The downfall of the Metrocenter was removing the Ice Rink and replacing it with an arcade in the early 90s. Once the gangs moved in shoppers left. Even with a remodel, no former shoppers returned. Another little pesky problem was Metrocenter was well known as the car theft express. The company that bought the mall in 2012 made an expensive mistake.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:09 PM

226 posts, read 227,331 times
Sad to see Metrocenter in such bad shape. It used to be the "go-to" place to be, 30 or 40 years ago. But that is what happens to once great malls. They have a 20 to 30 year lifespan, then they turn ghetto and the "hood rats" take over. Same thing happened to Fiesta Mall, Desert Sky Mall, Chris Town Mall, etc. Arrowhead Mall and Chandler Fashion Center may be ok for now, but check back in another 10-15 years.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:56 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I thought Metrocenter was still fairly suburban.

I wasn't here in 1973 but my guess is it must have been out in the boonies then.
It was much more on the "north end" than it is now, but it was not in the boonies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Even Scottsdale's mall, the name of which I forget, is long gone to seed. Arrowhead is next.

I see you don't go east much, to be speaking of Los Arcos as if it's just gone downhill but is still there. It was replaced by ASU's SkySong offices some time ago.

The area around Arrowhead is higher-end already than the areas around those other deteriorated malls. Far less likely for the surrounding neighborhoods to go downhill. There's a LOT of shopping outside the mall, including the south side of Bell, that's going strong, too. I don't think they'd be spending the $$ to upgrade Arrowhead if they thought it was inevitably going to fail.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:30 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
Sad to see Metrocenter in such bad shape. It used to be the "go-to" place to be, 30 or 40 years ago. But that is what happens to once great malls. They have a 20 to 30 year lifespan, then they turn ghetto and the "hood rats" take over. Same thing happened to Fiesta Mall, Desert Sky Mall, Chris Town Mall, etc. Arrowhead Mall and Chandler Fashion Center may be ok for now, but check back in another 10-15 years.

As long as Sun City and the other nearby by retirement communities remain, the area around Arrowhead will be fine. Its going to continue to remain a more upscale area and probably isn't as prone to the same conditions that collapsed the area around Metrocenter. I don't see that mall having struggles anytime soon, particularly considering how retailer-dense seven or eight blocks nearby are, tons of restaurants and stores, just an insane amount of businesses packed into a relatively small area.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:50 AM

35 posts, read 36,402 times
I love the cave creek Walmart! It's my local Walmart and I cannot believe I shop there more than Target! IF it only had a Starbucks.

The views a block away at Lowes are amazing!

I don't know how new this store is but I think it will be a long time before it gets run down. The employees are happy and kind, i know. I've haven't seen many customers that qualify for people of Walmart stores.

When we we're just moving to Az the one on Bethany home was the closest to the resort.... Scariest Walmart ever! The worst- and Ive been to plenty of very shady ones in many states. That one toppes them all tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area