U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 09:03 AM

975 posts, read 1,301,119 times

Advertisements

Source: Metrocenter to move ahead without Macy's

The MetroCenter area is a weird area. It's incredibly convenient to the freeway, the out parcels are in the process of being redeveloped (especially the ones at Peoria Ave / I-17, and the surrounding neighborhood is nowhere near the worst in Phoenix. Yet, the mall keeps losing tenants. I'd expect Sears to close up shop shortly as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 09:35 AM

443 posts, read 458,880 times
A lot of the business around the MetroCenter seem to be doing much better than the mall itself. There are a lot of your regular big box retailers right there along with several chain restaurants that seem like they stay fairly busy. I go to the Guitar Center on Peoria all the time, and they just built a new strip of shops on Peoria and 31st Ave that includes a Chick Fil A, MOD Pizza, and Potbelly Sandwich shop. The mall itself just seems incredibly dated and the parking areas are never anywhere near full.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:06 AM

169 posts, read 253,751 times
There is a Walmart opening in the Metrocenter later this year (or maybe early 2016) so that should give the mall a much-needed boost. Back when the mall opened in 1973, the area was considered the suburbs. Incredible to hear that nowadays.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:17 AM

18,527 posts, read 24,879,183 times
Is the Dillard's closeout store still in Christown?????

Old 01-10-2015, 11:32 AM

3,153 posts, read 5,321,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Is the Dillard's closeout store still in Christown?????
It's at Metrocenter, not Christown.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:57 PM

998 posts, read 2,777,823 times
Eh that was bound to happen. I'm surprised that Macy's stayed in business this long. Metrocenter really does have a lot of potential (central location, right off a major freeway) and I really hate to see a Walmart of all places be an anchor store there. There's at least 4 Walmarts within a few miles radius of Metrocenter so I really don't see the need for another one but that's just my 2 cents.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:44 PM

3,723 posts, read 8,650,663 times
Last time I was in Metrocenter struck up a conversation with the store manager of the place I was shopping in. We had a friend in common and they opened up about the mall. According to them, the game plan of the mall's owner is to attract people to the perimeter with lots of new restaurants or remodels of existing ones. Then once you have a captive audience of people that head to the mall for lunch or dinner on a regular basis, give them a reason to head into to the mall.

Sure a Wal-Mart is not ideal, but it will generate foot traffic and bring people in. Think they also have plans to convert a lot of the space into offices. Make the mall's footprint smaller and utilize a bunch of wasted space. Will be interesting to see what happens. Metrocenters fall from grace was a big one. Had friends that were store managers back in Metro's heyday. It was considered the promotion of a lifetime to get picked to run the flagship store at the mall. For many retailers, Metrocenter was the busiest location in the country.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:29 PM

6,818 posts, read 11,099,574 times
So, does anyone know if there is a big "Store Closing" sale going on yet at Macy's? It might be too soon or they may just transfer stuff to other stores. Love to shop !!!!

Old 01-10-2015, 04:29 PM

975 posts, read 1,301,119 times
The sale is supposed to start Monday.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:05 PM

8,783 posts, read 14,997,531 times
I read 2 days ago that Macy's, was not the only anchor store closing at that Mall. The article said another Anchor store was also on the hit list. I think it was a Sears or Penny's that would also close. One or the other. I'm not sure continuously building more and more Wal-mart's is the answer. Personally I think there are way to many Wal-mart's in Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area