Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 05:57 AM

56 posts, read 59,210 times

Advertisements

Booking a trip to Phoenix in August.
Plan on visiting the GC for a day or two
What is the best way to get there via Phoenix? How long is the trip?

Will be renting a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 07:15 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,270,326 times
From Phoenix you will want to get to Hwy 17, then stay on the 17 north to Flagstaff. At Flagstaff you will head west on Hwy 40, then north on Hwy 64 which takes you right up to the south rim entrance.

It took me 5 hours, but I live about an hour east of Phoenix.

You will be arriving there during their peak season, so be prepared for a wait to get in. There are no gas stations in Grand Canyon Village, so it's best to gas up before arriving (there is a gas station at the Desert View entrance, but that is 24 miles east of Hwy 64).

Last edited by cjs123; 02-05-2015 at 07:28 AM..

Old 02-05-2015, 07:15 AM

56 posts, read 59,210 times
Five hours?!

Is there a city closest to the GC that I can fly into?

Old 02-05-2015, 07:22 AM

The first time I visited I flew from Phoenix to Flagstaff; the flight was under an hour. I rented a car at the airport in Flag and drove to the canyon; that leg of the trip was about 1.5 hours.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:26 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woah_amie View Post
Five hours?!

Is there a city closest to the GC that I can fly into?
It shouldn't take five hours from Phx. to Grand Canyon. Maybe three. You could drive to Las Vegas in five hours.

You can fly directly to Grand Canyon. They have a nice airport there.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:50 AM

755 posts, read 1,118,674 times
I think the Superbowl coverage gave people the impression that the Grand Canyon is sort of IN Phoenix, or next to it anyway. They'd cut from a shot of the Canyon to an aerial of the stadium in Glendale and I'd think--gee, that sort of gives the impression that these two locations are in the same general vicinity!! Truly, the Grand Canyon is more in the middle of NO WHERE than any other destination I've ever been--and I'm from BFE Montana!

It is not exactly--okay, not at ALL-- a side trip from Phoenix unless you're here for an extended stay, so if your planned destination is just the Grand Canyon I'd fly into Flagstaff or directly to the park as mentioned above.

If you're going to Phoenix and want to see some beautiful sights, but don't really care if you see the Grand Canyon, there are plenty of amazing day trips right around here, and threads on this forum with helpful lists I've used myself. There are also several threads about the routes between GC and PHX and side trips along the way if that interests you!

Everyone should see the Grand Canyon, though. Really an unbelievable sight and to see it properly one should really plan the trip in advance, spend some time, and know what's available. Otherwise it's a long drive to stand on a viewing platform and snap a few photos.

That said, I sure get irritated that I have to go all the way around it to get back and forth from MT to PHX, lol. So inconveniently located, what were they thinking?!

Old 02-05-2015, 07:51 AM

191 posts, read 171,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
It shouldn't take five hours from Phx. to Grand Canyon. Maybe three. You could drive to Las Vegas in five hours.

Its 3 hrs 21 minutes from Sky Harbor to Grand Canyon according to Google map. The distance is 228 miles. The airfare from Phoenix to Flag is $243-$283. I don't think there are any flights from Phoenix to Grand Canyon. The only ones I think would be air tours over the Grand Canyon and then back. For about $300 you can ride a van roundtrip from Phoenix to GC and have a 25-30 minute helicopter ride over the GC.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:57 AM

755 posts, read 1,118,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woah_amie View Post
Booking a trip to Phoenix in August.
Plan on visiting the GC for a day or two
What is the best way to get there via Phoenix? How long is the trip?

Will be renting a car.
It is very hot in Phoenix in August. Very hot.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:59 AM

I've also taken the shuttle up from Sky Harbor; that is a nice trip. Arizona Shuttle runs daily from Sky Harbor to the Canyon, transferring at the Amtrak station in Flagstaff. It did take a bit longer to get there due to the wait time in Flag, but it was a nice way to go.

When I flew up to the canyon, I did not find a direct flight from Phoenix to Grand Canyon Airport; the only flight I found at that time was US Airways which flew from Sky Harbor to Flagstaff.

A view flight over the canyon is lovely; I didn't do a helicopter ride but flew on a small plane with Westwind Air Service out of Grand Canyon Airport.

Sorry OP if that 5-hour drive time threw you--again, I'm way east of Phoenix, so it's a longer way from 'out here'.

Have fun!

Old 02-05-2015, 08:01 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post

If the OP is coming to Phoenix anyway, it may not make sense to fly into the GC and rent yet another car to drive to the park.

3 1/2 hours driving sounds right, first mileage sign heading out of Phx says 141 miles to Flag, then estimate another 90 minutes to the Canyon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area