Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:26 PM

183 posts, read 286,753 times

Advertisements

Gilbert seems to be more conservative than Chandler and the cops there seem to be a little racist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 07:20 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Moving to Val Vista Lakes Saturday 6 months lease and scouting for a deal to buy.
You made a great choice; which sub division?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickluva View Post
Gilbert seems to be more conservative than Chandler and the cops there seem to be a little racist
Nick, I would have to disagree with you on that point. Being on the board of directors of two community HOA's, I've had the opportunity to meet quite a few of the officers who have responded to various situations in the community.

Never have I heard any of the officers make a remark that even remotely smacked of racism.

Two of them captured a couple of suspects that had attempted to break into a home last year in daylight. There were non-caucasian.

The owner of the home confronted them at the front door after watching them jump over his back fence, try the back door and then and come around to try the front door.

The suspects backed off, but began arguing with the husband. The owners' wife called the police while the husband kept them engaged in the argument. I was walking my dog near the area when I heard the argument and at the same time the police arrived.

The suspects tried to run, but there were three police cars there and they caught them immediately. I observed the entire thing, and there was never a racist word uttered.

One officer recognized one of the suspects, who said he had no ID, and gave a false name. The officer remained polite but firm, telling the suspect that she recognizes his face, and knows that is not his name, and that if he continues to lie to her, that the charges against him will be more severe. If he tells her the truth about his identity then she would only charge him with the attemped burglary.

He then changed his story and gave his correct name. After hearing it she recalled it and told him he did the right thing.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:07 AM

5 posts, read 18,140 times
Default Gilbert is New and Cleaner

I have lived in Gilbert all my life and wouldn't move anywhere else. I have seen it grow throughout the years and it is not stopping. Gilbert has many parks, trails, shops and great schools. Gilbert is known for there academics and family oriented community. There is a great Catholic church near Lindsay and Elliot in North Gilbert. I have nothing bad to say about Gilbert, besides in some areas in the South of the town their is quite a few roads under construction. Chandler is also a nice town but with a bit more crime and older areas. Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by sablebaby; 01-10-2008 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: advertising not allowed

Old 01-10-2008, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 18,140 times
Val Vista Lakes is a great community. I have lived their all my life. There is a great shopping plaza 2 minutes or less from the community called Dana Park. DanaPark.com

Old 01-10-2008, 06:49 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
You made a great choice; which sub division?
Keep in mind it's a rental for 6 months, that's what my husband keeps telling me

Castaway Bay

Old 01-10-2008, 06:51 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpfulMortgageAdvisor View Post
Val Vista Lakes is a great community. I have lived their all my life. There is a great shopping plaza 2 minutes or less from the community called Dana Park. DanaPark.com

Dana Park is a big reason to move to Val Vista Lakes. I love Dana Park and it keeps getting better!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Keep in mind it's a rental for 6 months, that's what my husband keeps telling me

Castaway Bay
Ok, you're just to the east of the green belt and the east side of Lakeside. As you probably know, Lakeside is divided by the lake, and I'm in the west side that enters from Blue Grotto. As you go over the bridge, look to the south on the west side of the lake, and you'll see a vacant lot. My house is next door, to the south, of that home. It's a small world.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:36 PM

183 posts, read 286,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Nick, I would have to disagree with you on that point. Being on the board of directors of two community HOA's, I've had the opportunity to meet quite a few of the officers who have responded to various situations in the community.

Never have I heard any of the officers make a remark that even remotely smacked of racism.

Two of them captured a couple of suspects that had attempted to break into a home last year in daylight. There were non-caucasian.

The owner of the home confronted them at the front door after watching them jump over his back fence, try the back door and then and come around to try the front door.

The suspects backed off, but began arguing with the husband. The owners' wife called the police while the husband kept them engaged in the argument. I was walking my dog near the area when I heard the argument and at the same time the police arrived.

The suspects tried to run, but there were three police cars there and they caught them immediately. I observed the entire thing, and there was never a racist word uttered.

One officer recognized one of the suspects, who said he had no ID, and gave a false name. The officer remained polite but firm, telling the suspect that she recognizes his face, and knows that is not his name, and that if he continues to lie to her, that the charges against him will be more severe. If he tells her the truth about his identity then she would only charge him with the attemped burglary.

He then changed his story and gave his correct name. After hearing it she recalled it and told him he did the right thing.
That's a whole different situation those two non-caucasians that you're talking about were actually commiting a crime and just got caught red-handed. The cops wouldn't need to say much but make dude admit his real name, read those two their rights and them haul em off to jail. I'm talking about minorites that get harrassed when they haven't done nothing more than walk or drive around a neighborhood or the city. I haven't had any experiences with the Gilbert poilice because I don't frequent it that often but i've had friends who had a couple of stories about the police there. A good friend of mine who happens to be mexican-american and lived in Gilbert was asked if he had his green card one night dealing with the police. That's racial profiling times 10 I would say

Old 01-11-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickluva View Post
That's a whole different situation those two non-caucasians that you're talking about were actually commiting a crime and just got caught red-handed. The cops wouldn't need to say much but make dude admit his real name, read those two their rights and them haul em off to jail. I'm talking about minorites that get harrassed when they haven't done nothing more than walk or drive around a neighborhood or the city. I haven't had any experiences with the Gilbert poilice because I don't frequent it that often but i've had friends who had a couple of stories about the police there. A good friend of mine who happens to be mexican-american and lived in Gilbert was asked if he had his green card one night dealing with the police. That's racial profiling times 10 I would say
Nick you didn't say anything about racial profiling in your first post. You made a blanket statement that "cops there seem to be a little racist".

I pointed out that the cops who apprehended these two non-caucasian suspects treated them with "respect", when they could have been very heavy handed. The suspects were beligerent and not revealing their identity. If a cop is going to be racist, the attitude would certainly come out in this type of confrontational situation.

I don't know the law, but I believe if the police have reason to deal with someone, that they have the right to ask for ID, and that can include asking for a green card. I could be wrong.

However, a blanket statement that the cops in Gilbert are racist is not correct; and that is according to my experience. My wife is second generation Mexican/American, and I would certainly be sensitive to any racism in the Gilbert PD.

On another occasion, there were 5 non-caucasians who went into the vacant lot next door to my home and were illegally fishing. This is a private gated community and those people were not residents. There are only 49 homes and we know everyone here.

My wife called the PD who came out and politely informed them that they were trespassing on private property and had to leave. They did not hassle those people. My wife went outside to talk to the PD after the people left, and they didn't ask her for a green card.

Again, I have never seen any sign of racism in the Gilbert PD. In all of the times I have dealt with them, and seen them deal with others, they have been nothing short of highly professional.

They are also very quick to respond to calls. Even in non-emergency calls they get there as quickly as they can. I have nothing but praise for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area