Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 12:06 AM

892 posts, read 1,498,913 times

Advertisements

Currently living in Glendale, but living in the city doesn't mesh well with my hobbies - I have 4x4s, other dirt toys, and I have trucks back home in Michigan that would violate city code just by parking them at the house here. Yes, I have been described as redneck, white trash, lol

I've been looking at several areas outside the city, and recently a buddy showed me a property in Wittmann that I liked from the outside, and the price was right, but upon doing some other research, I saw some references to Wittmann largely being in a Luke Air base "restricted area", which sounds like I can't build squat on any property I may purchase...which would be a deal breaker as my plans include a fairly large shop building, on the order of somewhere around 30ftx40ft, with a minimum 16 foot ceiling height, possibly bigger and there hasn't been many properties I've looked at that already have such a building on the property.

At the moment, I'm pretty well tied to the Phoenix area, due to a job with a company in north Phoenix that pays me pretty darn well, and I really enjoy working for, so it wouldn't be an easy thing to move to, say, Prescott, Payson, Globe, etc. I also know that the schools in Wittmann are...well, terrible, but that's a non issue to me as I have no kids, and have zero intentions to have kids in the future. I also grew up in a very rural area, so I'm aware of the lack of conveniences such as nearby shopping, which is also a non issue to me.

It's just that restricted building that has me concerned, and if true, is reason enough to write off Wittmann as a possible place to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 08:17 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
I do not know of any building restrictions in Wittman due to Luke AFB other than noise disclosures. Since the property is likely in the county jurisdiction why not check with the county regarding any restrictions? You can also check any past Affidavit of Disclosures for the property at the county recorders office.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:40 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Normally "Restricted Area" is a special use airspace term. Years ago while at Luke I would fly approaches into Luke Auxiliary Field, or Luke Aux for short. Note the airspace is Alert and not Restricted. Unless the Air Force actually owns the property, there would be no access anyway, no listings, etc. It may be more of a noise thing, since the radar pattern does extend to the north. The map shows the location of Luke Aux, with the red arrow. As far as restrictions, people put up towers in retstricted areas and other low altitude special use airspace all the time, and there's little that can be done despite the obvious low-altitude navigational hazard. We just had to go around them. Map from the Skyvector site. I think your research may be for references to restricted areas for the air and not land spaces.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 02-10-2015 at 09:19 AM..

Old 02-10-2015, 03:53 PM

892 posts, read 1,498,913 times
One of the specifics that I found - //www.city-data.com/forum/28205699-post4.html

Quote:
Also, be aware that the majority of Wittmann falls within the Luke Air Force Base restricted area, which means that, if you're a homeowner, your property rights are severely restricted by the state of AZ. For example, you are not allowed to build any "habitable addition" to an existing home (that includes a porch, carport, or attached garage), and you are not allowed to rebuild or install a new home if your current home is damaged by 75% or more (say, if it burns to the ground). If you are planning to buy, I really recommend you discuss all of the restrictions imposed on property owners out here with the Maricopa County planning commission. Just FYI, Maricopa County cut a deal with the state of AZ to indemnify it against all lawsuits that pertain to these restrictions, so if some county worker "accidentally" gives you a permit to build, but that building project violates the restrictions, you can't look to Maricopa County for any kind of compensation or what have you.
Obviously, the most correct answer here will be "call the planning commision" :P I was hoping to be able to find out something more concrete about what exactly kind of info I'd be calling them about, rather just saying "sooo....I read on the internet that I can't build squat out there...is that true?"

Old 02-10-2015, 04:18 PM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
One of the specifics that I found - //www.city-data.com/forum/28205699-post4.html

Obviously, the most correct answer here will be "call the planning commision" :P I was hoping to be able to find out something more concrete about what exactly kind of info I'd be calling them about, rather just saying "sooo....I read on the internet that I can't build squat out there...is that true?"
I would do that. However, note also that the posting in your link is two years old and is the only post ever by the poster.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,201 times
Is the only place that I can get Wittmann building restrictions for a 1000 foot manufactured home on a multi acre lot the Maricopa County Planning Commission or are there others? A recent inquiry on a 5 acre lot sent me an "As Is" addendum refusing disclosures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area