Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 08:05 PM

16 posts, read 51,574 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out whether to live in Phoenix or Dallas, and generally I really like Phoenix for the sun, outdoors and suburban layout but there doesn't seem to be anywhere decent for people my age (almost 27). It's fine if you know people or are in a relationship, but for meeting new people/girls it doesn't seem like a great place to live, has anyone else found the same? Tempe's too young and Scottsdale's either too old or the girls just seem unfriendly/uninterested. Whereas whenever I've been in Dallas everyone seems to be around my age and actually interested in meeting new people and chatting, the girls are much friendlier there compared to Scottsdale!

I've posted similar questions in the city vs city and Dallas forum but I'm interested if other people in the Phoenix area around my age have had a similar experience? I don't have much of an issue finding friends as I organize 20s things on Meetup etc but when it comes to finding a girlfriend/future wife I'm worried that it's just too unlikely if I stay in Phoenix! I need to decide soon and will probably end up having to stay for at least around 4 years and I don't want to still be single at 31!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 08:46 PM

518 posts, read 872,234 times
I'm around your age in my late 20's. You're right, Tempe is a little younger than us. 18-25 I'd say is about right as far as fitting in if you plan to cruise down Mill Ave without being the "older guy". Scottsdale is great for people in their late 20's and up. People are friendly but not Texas friendly. There are tons of people our age in Scottsdale. It is a great city for people of all ages.

I've been to Dallas/Fort Worth once and thought it was an awesome city. I noticed some similarities with the Phoenix metro... both have "stuff" everywhere! Very consumer culture oriented.... no shortage of restaurants, shopping, malls etc. I stayed in Addison which is known for having a lot of young singles. There were restaurants as far as the eye could see.... people love eating out in Dallas. A lot of blonde haired women in Texas which is great.

I think Dallas wins hands down when it comes to their economy. They have tons of McJobs like Phoenix but have more professional career jobs. A lot of big time companies are headquartered in the DFW metro area. So as far as a career, there is more potential there for the college-educated ambitious type. Phoenix wins as far access to natural beauty, outdoor activities etc. Another thing I noticed is Dallas has pretty bad traffic. Whereas here it's not so bad imo.

Last edited by Bruce Jackpot; 04-09-2015 at 08:54 PM..

Old 04-09-2015, 09:56 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,773 times
Downtown Phoenix, perhaps?

Old 04-10-2015, 10:54 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,540 times
Most girls in their late 20's around here are married and in the suburbs

Go to the country bars, they have the best looking women who are usually OUT of college and more down-to-earth than Scottsdale. Also try the gym, mainly lifetime fitness.

The big bar scene areas are never a good place to find the love of your life, whether in Phoenix or Dallas.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:54 PM

25 posts, read 30,016 times
I was recently in Dallas for a trade show but have lived here for the past 11 years. I did a lot of exploring in the downtown area. Phoenix's downtown is growing but it cant touch Dallas right now. I'm currently living in the heart of downtown phoenix. For me at least there is plenty of food and entertainment offerings.

But if your main goal is just to find a wife.. do you really want to say that she only exists in Phx or Big D?!?

Old 04-10-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Most girls in their late 20's around here are married and in the suburbs

Go to the country bars, they have the best looking women who are usually OUT of college and more down-to-earth than Scottsdale. Also try the gym, mainly lifetime fitness.

The big bar scene areas are never a good place to find the love of your life, whether in Phoenix or Dallas.

Yeah I completely agree with everything you've said.

About the country bars, I love country music so I try and go to those places anyway but it seems like there's only Whiskey Row or Moonshine, is there anywhere else with people in their mid-late 20s? Girls in Whiskey Row don't seem any different from those elsewhere in Scottsdale. Moonshine's great but I've met a lot of students there.

I know the bar scene is generally not a great place to meet your future wife, but I think it can give you an idea as to what people in the area are like and their general attitude. And even if you just meet people as friends you then meet their friends etc, but I feel like the concept of having a conversation with strangers is totally alien to people/girls here whereas it's seen as normal in places like Dallas.

I'm not sure what your situation is, but if you were my age (almost 27), and a single guy would you think you'd be likely to ever meet a nice down to earth girl around the same age living in Phoenix (preferably a southern/country girl ha)? Or is it just too much of a risk, are all the nice girls married, as I'm pretty confident I'd meet the right girl in Dallas.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxspartan View Post
I was recently in Dallas for a trade show but have lived here for the past 11 years. I did a lot of exploring in the downtown area. Phoenix's downtown is growing but it cant touch Dallas right now. I'm currently living in the heart of downtown phoenix. For me at least there is plenty of food and entertainment offerings.

But if your main goal is just to find a wife.. do you really want to say that she only exists in Phx or Big D?!?
Haha, I've chosen Phoenix and Dallas for many many reasons! I personally love Phoenix as I'm not really an urban guy, I love the idea that I could just about afford to rent a house with a pool and have fun things going on every weekend. The food/entertainment that most cities offer don't really concern me, I'd rather make my own entertainment with BBQs, pool parties, hiking, going out on the lake, offroading, road trips, all sorts of things that Phoenix is perfect for, and I'm not a fussy eater. The main thing stopping me from Phoenix is the concern that after meeting a lot of people here, there are virtually no nice friendly girls around my age and if I'm going to live somewhere until I'm at least 31 I want to make sure that there's a good chance I'll meet the girl I want to marry! Phoenix just doesn't have a great social life for singles in their mid-late 20s, nobody here likes to meet or talk to new people and there's no point in having lots of fun things to do if there's no-one to do them with!

Dallas has the social life, the friendly girls, the southern vibe, the heat/sun, some outdoorsy stuff, the good economy/low taxes/cost of living, but it'll generally be back to an urban lifestyle living in a small apartment with most weekend activities focused around 'city' stuff.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:25 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HutchUSA View Post
Yeah I completely agree with everything you've said.

About the country bars, I love country music so I try and go to those places anyway but it seems like there's only Whiskey Row or Moonshine, is there anywhere else with people in their mid-late 20s? Girls in Whiskey Row don't seem any different from those elsewhere in Scottsdale. Moonshine's great but I've met a lot of students there.

I know the bar scene is generally not a great place to meet your future wife, but I think it can give you an idea as to what people in the area are like and their general attitude. And even if you just meet people as friends you then meet their friends etc, but I feel like the concept of having a conversation with strangers is totally alien to people/girls here whereas it's seen as normal in places like Dallas.

I'm not sure what your situation is, but if you were my age (almost 27), and a single guy would you think you'd be likely to ever meet a nice down to earth girl around the same age living in Phoenix (preferably a southern/country girl ha)? Or is it just too much of a risk, are all the nice girls married, as I'm pretty confident I'd meet the right girl in Dallas.
I'm 27 (single/renter/childless), and all my cousins my age in the Phoenix area are married/own homes/have children. They mostly live in the east Valley though (Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa). I think you will be better off finding a potential girlfriend in Dallas, and then moving to Phoenix later on to live out a family friendly lifestyle...which the Phoenix suburbs are really good at.

Having said that, perhaps there are many women in the Phoenix area that feel like you, and are hanging around in some hidden cafe somewhere....Maybe. ha.

You also said you do a lot of MeetUps. Have you tried any 20's and 30's Singles meetups in the Phoenix area?

Old 04-10-2015, 01:58 PM

226 posts, read 227,508 times
You can try Country Thunder this weekend, but you may have to drive a ways (it's in Florence). Plenty of mid to late 20's people there!

Old 04-10-2015, 02:02 PM

363 posts, read 929,973 times
At home, playing PS4...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area