Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 07:36 AM

30,541 posts, read 19,288,082 times

Advertisements

Maricopa is safe. It comes down if you are willing to give up some conveniences for more house. As far as the isolation, some people like it and some don't. the services there are growing but more is needed to become a real city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 09:27 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,026,866 times
We love Maricopa, but don't need to commute every day into Phoenix for work. That being said, if there's no accident we find the traffic from Maricopa to Phoenix far less stressful at any time of day than from many many other suburbs that are closer on the map. If there's an accident though, you're screwed...

Old 06-27-2015, 05:10 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,623,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
To each there own. I like what most dread about Maricopa most. The perceived isolation. Really it's not all that isolated. It's just separated by like 15 miles of open desert and has it's own city identity instead of being just another block of linked sprawl. Casa Grande has that going for it too. I prefer Maricopa as of now but that's likely namely because I haven't spent any time in Casa Grande except doing work related stuff. I think CG would be a good place to start out out here for a transplant though due to the fact you can realistically look for work in both the Phoenix and Tucson Metros. It amazing to me how far out people perceive Maricopa to be. And if it keeps the cost of living down there at San Tan Valley Levels I can't complain. Just gonna toss out my google maps play here.

Driving toward Downtown Phoenix, a good central location of town for an example, from where google maps drops the pin (347 and Honeycutt) it will take 34.6 miles and 40 minutes to reach Downtown PHX (Not factoring in a rush hour commute on any of these by the way) and if for some reason you need to head to the West Side of town during rush hour, theres a pretty useful backway to avoid all the gridlock and pop out in SW Phoenix on 51st ave.

Lets do the same from the dropped pin for Chandler.Google drops it in Downtown Chandler off Arizona Ave and Chandler Blvd. 22.3 Miles and 30 Minutes to Phoenix. 10 minutes closer than Maricopa.

AJ - Downtown Phoenix. Very similar to Maricopa distance-wise, as AJ is 35.7 Miles with a 40 minute time estimation. There we go I figured out the best distance comparison. Pretty much the same deal. I know Aj is not the most desirable area but the 85209 and 85212 zips of East Mesa bordering AJ absolutely are as in Gold Canyon even a little further East.

San Tan Valleys Pin gets dropped by google on Hunt Hwy just southeast of Gary (Where the QT is). STV is 45.4 miles from downtown and 53 minutes with a lot of surface streeting into AJ or East Mesa. I'm not harshing STV just trying to understand why it seems more desirable than the Copa to so many?
One big reason is because there are more routes home to San Tan than Maricopa like tlvancouver said. If you get an accident during rush hour you wait a long time to get through. If you hit one on the way home to San Tan you just take another route. There are a few other reasons but this is the main one I hear. One way in and one way out.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:21 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,079,993 times
did the last three posters even read post #30???!!!....(I realize they could be considered just general comments, of course)

glad the OP found a place that seems to be working out.....

Old 09-10-2015, 08:29 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,598,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
One big reason is because there are more routes home to San Tan than Maricopa like tlvancouver said. If you get an accident during rush hour you wait a long time to get through. If you hit one on the way home to San Tan you just take another route. There are a few other reasons but this is the main one I hear. One way in and one way out.
This is a fair point. That being said Hunt Hwy (Been under construction for how many year now?) is terrible during commute times entering town via Ellsworth to Hunt. There are other options though and Ironwood/ Ganzel is not bad at all. That is one thing STV has over Maricopa. Another big one through my own research is Maricopa's power company charges more where in STV SRP seems to be the company. SRP is the only giant utility company I have ever dealt with that I really do like. The customer service is astonishingly great and they seem to charge the fairest rates in AZ from what I've read. I've learned quite abit about pro's and cons of both in the past several months. I don't think either is a bad place to live if your looking for a nice house in a good area but, they both have their own pro's and cons. Being not totally connected to sprawl hell is a pro for both IMO.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:55 PM

152 posts, read 299,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
All of your distance/time estimates are off. For one, Avondale is about half the distance to Phoenix that Maricopa is. I'm glad you've found it to be a good home for you but let's not paint it as something that it's not. It's somewhere people go for cheap housing and little else.
I live in Maricopa(rancho el dorado) and used to commute into the phx metro 5-6 days a week... His commute times are are pretty accurate.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:15 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,477,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
And for what it's worth I used to feel Maricopa was on the outskirts and made an effort to ensure it will be a good move for me. As of the last month I commute to Maricopa to do all my grocery shopping at bashas in Maricopa from here at Dobson/Guadalupe to see if I can see myself commuting daily. I did a grocery run today out there. I consider it my Maricopa "stress test" it took me 25 minutes to get to Maricopa and another 25 back home, from my home on the tempe /mesa border. It's nothing.
Hope the price of gas stays low. And wait until you see your electric and water bills. If you can afford the difference, go for it. I know lots of people down there, but most are not regularly commuting. I would not live there if I were still working and had to drive into the Valley daily. I'll bet you didn't do your little grocery drive during commuting hours. And just wait till there's a wreck on the 347. 25 minutes from Dobson/Guadalupe? Under ideal conditions, making every light, maybe. That's not every day real life commuting, though. Good luck.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:37 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,598,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Hope the price of gas stays low. And wait until you see your electric and water bills. If you can afford the difference, go for it. I know lots of people down there, but most are not regularly commuting. I would not live there if I were still working and had to drive into the Valley daily. I'll bet you didn't do your little grocery drive during commuting hours. And just wait till there's a wreck on the 347. 25 minutes from Dobson/Guadalupe? Under ideal conditions, making every light, maybe. That's not every day real life commuting, though. Good luck.
I got a fleet card that covers all my work gas. I decided to hold off on renting a house. I'm going to do the apartment thing for longer while setting aside money to BUY a house instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area