U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 01:03 PM

127 posts, read 177,137 times

Advertisements

Hello,

In my house hunting quest, I've finally found 3 houses. But I'm not familiar with the areas. I would really appreciate any input. Thanks!

House #1 W Evans Dr --> No RV parking
El Mirage, AZ 85335

House #2 W Whyman Ave, Tolleson, AZ 85353 --> No RV parking

House #3 North 85th Avenue, Glendale, AZ 85305 -> This house has everything I need, RV parking, pool and a big yard.

All the houses are $1250 and include pool maint. I would like to get house#3 because I wouldn't need rv storage. But it's 3 miles away from the Cardinal Stadium and I just don't know anything about the neighborhood. I currently live 7 hours away and I can't make the drive until this weekend to look at the houses. By then, they will probably be rented.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 01:07 PM

17,884 posts, read 41,278,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disabledveteran1 View Post
Hello,

In my house hunting quest, I've finally found 3 houses. But I'm not familiar with the areas. I would really appreciate any input. Thanks!

House #1 W Evans Dr --> No RV parking
El Mirage, AZ 85335

House #2 W Whyman Ave, Tolleson, AZ 85353 --> No RV parking

House #3 North 85th Avenue, Glendale, AZ 85305 -> This house has everything I need, RV parking, pool and a big yard.

All the houses are $1250 and include pool maint. I would like to get house#3 because I wouldn't need rv storage. But it's 3 miles away from the Cardinal Stadium and I just don't know anything about the neighborhood. I currently live 7 hours away and I can't make the drive until this weekend to look at the houses. By then, they will probably be rented.

I think the 85th Ave area would be fine, especially since it has everything you need, but I would not call it "away from everybody" which is what you were looking for originally.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:38 PM

443 posts, read 466,351 times
El Mirage is not very highly regarded, but I'm pretty sure that the neighborhoods that Evans runs in are just fine with newer houses. The older part of El Mirage near Grand Avenue isn't very nice.

I don't really know much about Tolleson so I can't help you with that one.

85th Avenue in Glendale would probably be just fine, but it would help to know which block you're talking about. There are a few pockets that far west that aren't as nice, but most of that area is just fine. The neighborhood gets a little shadier as you go east from there.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
El Mirage is not very highly regarded, but I'm pretty sure that the neighborhoods that Evans runs in are just fine with newer houses. The older part of El Mirage near Grand Avenue isn't very nice.

I don't really know much about Tolleson so I can't help you with that one.

85th Avenue in Glendale would probably be just fine, but it would help to know which block you're talking about. There are a few pockets that far west that aren't as nice, but most of that area is just fine. The neighborhood gets a little shadier as you go east from there.
house is located by 5161 N 85th av . Wife is panicking because of a shooting that happened earlier this month about 5 miles east... I mean I don't mind it, I know it's the city. I wanted something far away but that life style doesn't exist in AZ unless I go 2-3 hours south.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
house is located by 5161 N 85th av . Wife is panicking because of a shooting that happened earlier this month about 5 miles east... I mean I don't mind it, I know it's the city. I wanted something far away but that life style doesn't exist in AZ unless I go 2-3 hours south.

5 miles is a long way, and that shooting would be in the Maryvale area, which is somewhat more prone to crime. But, most violent crime here, including Maryvale, seems to involve people who know each other. And, that can happen anywhere. That single crime 5 miles away should not be panicking your wife or impacting your decision.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:50 PM

1,566 posts, read 1,782,932 times
I know someone that lives in that El Mirage area and it is a very nice area. There are a lot of new shops and restaurants opening in that area. There is a lot of military flyover activity from Luke Air Force base but thats all during the day.

The Glendale house appears to not be in an HOA area which might be more suited to what you are looking for. Spotcrime shows that whole neighborhood as green (which is good)

Old 02-25-2015, 02:58 PM

3,750 posts, read 8,779,753 times
Use RAIDS online, it shows the most up to date crime reports. You can search by radius, date, type of crime, etc...

Used to live near Whyman, but on the Avondale side of the street. It's hit or miss with quite a bit of property crime. Plus it's close to a few farms and if the wind is blowing the right direction it can be rather aromatic.

Don't enough about the other locations to comment on though.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:23 PM

443 posts, read 466,351 times
Quote:
A shooting that happened 5 miles away has absolutely nothing to do with the safety of that particular block. I don't think you'll find anywhere in just about any major American city where there hasn't been a recent shooting 5 miles away. Besides the occasional car break-in, that area isn't bad at all and that house in particular looks pretty nice. If it has all the things you're looking for in a house, you could do a lot worse than that neighborhood. Best of luck to you on your move.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:59 PM

Is the surrounding area of N 85th ave safe enough for a 12 and 10 year old to play around? I appreciate all the help! I wish I was closer so I could drive by and see the area myself.

Last edited by Disabledveteran1; 02-25-2015 at 04:40 PM..

Old 02-25-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Is the surrounding area of N 65th ave safe enough for a 12 and 10 year old to play around? I appreciate all the help! I wish I was closer so I could drive by and see the area myself.

That is too broad and impossible to answer. 65th Ave and what cross street? Wherever the specific area is, I am sure there are other children in that area. I'm sure they play in their yards, front and back, and if there's a park nearby, likely there, too, with or without supervision. People go about their lives in every area of the Valley, the relatively safe areas and those with higher crime rates. You are going to have to come see the areas you are considering for yourself, and talk to neighbors if you have the opportunity, to decide what will work for you. Given the issues you've discussed, there's no way you can make any commitment without investigating with your own eyes and ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area