Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 07:38 AM

23 posts, read 29,811 times

Advertisements

If working at Banner Health in Mesa....need the usual w/ elementary school kids (safe, family friendly neighborhood, 8+ rated schools) - is Gilbert, Chandler, etc too far? Prefer about a 15- 20 min commute, and will be driving at off times ( 530am, leaving ard 3p).

Any suggestions on neighborhood or community names would be extra helpful in search....love planned communities.

Range: 3b/r, 1600 + sf, $1200- $1700 rent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 09:21 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,526,159 times
Are you talking about Banner Desert, or Banner Gateway? Makes a difference in terms of what's close.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:55 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,966,047 times
All the banner hospitals I can think of should be withing 15-20 minute commute from Gilbert or Chandler.

Banner Gateway is the nicest.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:30 AM

good to know, but interview is w/ Banner Desert - quite often once the recruitor gets you on the phone, they're open to most locations if you're willing...

Old 03-24-2015, 11:31 AM

so ANYWHERE really in Gilbert or Chandler....is Mesa similar to these 'suburbs'?

Old 03-24-2015, 11:38 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,526,159 times
Time of commute depends on time of travel. The 530 AM start will help. Traffic is already building at 3 PM, so getting home in 20 minutes depends on which direction you are headed from which hospital and how far you are going. I think you need to know which hospital before you make a final choice, but you have some good options either way. Planned communities tend to be toward the outskirts of either Gilbert or Chandler, so take that into account. Chandler schools are good, Gilbert schools are going through some turmoil these days (other threads here about that), but some schools in Gilbert are in the Higley district.

Mesa is a little different than the other two cities. There are some older parts that are not as desirable, and a really heavy percentage of snowbirds and retirees (but lots of families too). If you end up at Banner Gateway, east Mesa would make sense, but so would Gilbert; Chandler maybe also. I don't hear much about Mesa schools. If I were working at Banner Desert, I'd look at Chandler or Tempe.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:05 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,402,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I don't hear much about Mesa schools. If I were working at Banner Desert, I'd look at Chandler or Tempe.
Mesa District schools aren't that great. I would normally recommend the Gilbert district if you live in Mesa, however, there is some ongoing turmoil in the district. Part of Mesa (such as Eastmark) also extend into the Queen Creek district, which is a very good district.

Otherwise, if you decide to live in Chandler or Gilbert, I would recommend either the Chandler or Higley districts.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:12 AM

thankyou - will check out both those areas

Old 03-27-2015, 09:23 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,515,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Time of commute depends on time of travel. The 530 AM start will help. Traffic is already building at 3 PM, so getting home in 20 minutes depends on which direction you are headed from which hospital and how far you are going. I think you need to know which hospital before you make a final choice, but you have some good options either way. Planned communities tend to be toward the outskirts of either Gilbert or Chandler, so take that into account. Chandler schools are good, Gilbert schools are going through some turmoil these days (other threads here about that), but some schools in Gilbert are in the Higley district.

Mesa is a little different than the other two cities. There are some older parts that are not as desirable, and a really heavy percentage of snowbirds and retirees (but lots of families too). If you end up at Banner Gateway, east Mesa would make sense, but so would Gilbert; Chandler maybe also. I don't hear much about Mesa schools. If I were working at Banner Desert, I'd look at Chandler or Tempe.
Chandler and south Tempe would be the best for schools, the Kyrene district is one of the best around.

Gilbert is a very nice family-friendly suburban area and shouldn't be ruled out, but it might be a little on the expensive side for what the OP gave for priceranges.

Some parts of Mesa are reasonable, the closer the OP can live to the workplace the better of course.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:37 PM

240 posts, read 839,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz55 View Post
good to know, but interview is w/ Banner Desert - quite often once the recruitor gets you on the phone, they're open to most locations if you're willing...
If you are going to be working at Banner Desert and want a short commute while living near an 8+ rated elementary school, why not live in Dobson Ranch?

Dobson Ranch is directly south of Banner Desert, your commute would be like 5 minutes by car, and your kids could go to Franklin at Alma Elementary, which is rated 9 out of 10 by Great Schools as of the date of this post. Dobson Ranch is a nice area. It is considered "older" by Phoenix standards, but the whole valley is aging and in time everything will be "old."

Seriously though, I've now lived in Dobson Ranch for several years, still love the area, my neighbors are great, and I feel very safe even on my 10 p.m. walks. We have multiple community pools, a splash pad that your kids would love, recreational events, lakes and trails, and a bunch of friendly people. The HOA isn't overbearing, and you can read more here.

Chandler and Gilbert and Tempe are nice areas too, but don't discount this little area of Mesa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area