Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 AM

919 posts, read 3,400,121 times

Advertisements

A few years back WalMart launched a line of grocery stores which were smaller than the big box stores, designed to compete with average suburban supermarkets.

This newly announced "brand" is meant to be even smaller and will compete with Fresh & Easy/Trader Joes. Kind of like convenience stores on steroids. I really like Fresh & Easy - very convenient and a nice new mix of different offerings with some great prices as well. Both F&E and TJs have a lot of products they've sourced themselves after a lot of consumer research. F&E also seems to be very focused on organic and/or "more authentic" products.

I'm not sure if WalMart will do the same, or simply offer brand name stuff decently priced with some of their own products mixed in. What I don't like about WalMart is that they'll sell meat, for example, that is artificially bulked up with injected juices. I'm not a health nut, but find a lot of their products to be doctored and kind of feel like they are cheating! But hey, they are a business trying to maximize profits. On the flip side, AJs has great stuff but a lot of it is overpriced.

Best bet: Give them all a try and find what you like. I actually like just about every market brand in town for some reason or another... the chains, Sprouts, Sunflower, Whole Foods, the Ranch 99 Chinese Market, Lee Lee's, the Mexican Ranch Markets, etc. I love the overpriced salad bar at AJs for lunch now and again, but also can hit Food City's deli for a few items to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 11:33 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,024,420 times
Default My bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Help!! Damn Tucsonians jacked the Phoenix thread!!!
Sorry... didn't mean to jack; just thought you might like an opinion of someone that's been to one of the stores.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:37 PM

8,351 posts, read 13,502,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
Sorry... didn't mean to jack; just thought you might like an opinion of someone that's been to one of the stores.
Oh, I was being a brat as usual, no worries....hehe..

Old 01-16-2008, 01:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,311,776 times
The new grocery store noted in the original link IS NOT the "neighborhood" stores WalMart has - these are even SMALLER -

Old 01-16-2008, 10:09 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,963,077 times
Exactly, the ones in the article will be half the size of the Neighborhood Market stores. It says in the article that they will go in old CVS stores, so that tells you the size right there...the size and location of a CVS or Walgreens.

I like the idea. I sometimes run to the Walgreens on the corner to get milk if I'm out instead of going into the Fry's and going all the way to the back of the store...plus also walking through the sea size parking lot.
I like that the new Walmart stores will be close to the sidewalk and not setup in the back of the lot and it will be good for picking up something quick.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:05 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,262,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The new grocery store noted in the original link IS NOT the "neighborhood" stores WalMart has - these are even SMALLER -
Oh! That sounds more like a convenience store then, and we need those like a hole in the head.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:17 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,311,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Oh! That sounds more like a convenience store then, and we need those like a hole in the head.
No, my understanding is (and the link I provided notes this) they are going to be smaller, complete, grocery stores. They are going to focus on fresh produce and such.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:25 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,552,203 times
re: walmart
corporation motto, we are here to help
populous response, we are glad you are here

Old 01-17-2008, 11:29 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,262,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No, my understanding is (and the link I provided notes this) they are going to be smaller, complete, grocery stores. They are going to focus on fresh produce and such.
OK, I'll admit to not reading the article. That sounds good actually... I don't have strong loyalties when it comes to being given a good thing at a good price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area